What's new

My RPTV seems to be streaking (1 Viewer)

Nick P

Second Unit
I'm not really sure how to describe this. My Panasonic PT-56WXF95 has been showing streaks of horizontal light across the screen. There is no rhyme or reason, it happens in light and dark scenes. Just today I was watching Boogie Nights and on several occasions streaks of light would come off of the actor's faces and continue to the edge of the screen. On other DVDs there will be streaks of light running the entire width of the screen. These only last for a few seconds but I'm finding it really annoying the more I notice it. I've calibrated my set with Avia and there are never any static images on my set so I know its not burn in. In fact, I only use the set 4-6 hours a week (that's 2-3 DVDs a week ;)). I'm using a Toshiba 5109 progressive scan player connected to the Panny with component cables. I didn't start seeing this until after I cleaned the screen, mirror and the guns about 6 months ago. Any ideas?

Nick P

Second Unit
Can anyone help with this? It's starting to turn into a princess and the pea type of situation. All I can see now are these momentary streaks of light!

liana

Agent
at first glance, id say check your cables connecting the picture (Svid or component?). Not sure what else, but thats a start!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Trouble shooting.

Try unplugging all inputs and plug in only the DVD player and see if you see it.

Try via S-video ... composite video ... still there?

Does it show up on cable?

Recheck what you touched when cleaning ... no liquid got into the crt's?

Are we talking about banding effects and shadows on the right side of images where the band is the same thickness as the lit object ...? End credits on films really bad?

Probably a coincidence with your cleaning ... but sometimes things do go bad in the set.

Regards

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
I'd be suspicious of some coupling capacitors in the set starting to go bad as well.

Nick P

Second Unit
Hi guys,

Sorry, I forgot to check back on my own thread.:b Thanks for responding.

Michael - Yes, the effect is only on the right side of the object and yes I do see it during some end credits were the text is white. Does this mean something specific to you? I don't watch cable on this set so I can't comment on that. I'll try switching to another input which has s-video and see if it does it on a given scene. What's strange about this is that it doesn't do it on every DVD. Not even all DVDs with white end credits either. I'm also fairly certain no liquid got into the crt's, the cloth was only damp and not saturated.

Guy - I'm not sure what the coupling capacitors are but I bought an extended warranty so maybe it will be covered if that is indeed what's going on.

Nick P

Second Unit
O.K., I remembered it being very noticable during the end credits of Road House (no comments on my redneck guilty pleasure please! ;) ) so I just watched them again. I switched from progressive component to video 1 which I have connected with s-video and the streaks were still there. I watched again with all inputs disconnected except component and they were still there again. I think this would eliminate my cables as the source? Wouldn't be my DVD player would it?

Nick P

Second Unit
Thought I'd post an update just incase anyone else has this problem.

It ended up being the capacitors on the CRT sockets. There is one on each gun so the tech just replaced all three. Seems to working fine for now. (fingers crossed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks