What's new

Anyone use a dedicated subs for each speaker? (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I run identical dedicated 250w subs for each front speaker as well as identical 150w subs for each surround. All four subs are in line with the speakers. My processor is setup as "large L/R, SL, SR & sub=no". My center is set to "small" since I would NEVER use dedicated sub for a center(yeh I'm gulty of trying it though:b). This setup works great for me and gives my surrounds a MUCH fuller sound. Also if I ever went with SACD or DVD-A, I'd technically have full range speakers all around with the exception of the center.

Do any of you guys use a setup like this?

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Yes and No

I have a full set of Deftech Speakers
My Bp2000tl have 500w 15" powered woofers,
My CLR 3000 center has a 250w 10" powered woofer,
And the BPVX/P rears all have a pair of 150w 6.5" power woofers in them.

Thing is, that I have the rears turned down so low you can't hear the bass, seems that deftech has mislead people on the freq ratings and they bottom out all the time (23hz my ass). So unfortunately I no longer utilize the rear subs.

Kris

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I have and I dont anymore. My question is why ? ? ? I think you get better results with full range speakers and 1 or 2 subs.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I have in the past (then a former girlfriend said to lose the rear ones, now that she is gone...) and actually prefer it but the way mine were set up is that I had an outboard DD/DTS decoder and used f-mod to high and low pass my speakers so that the AVR powering the speakers wouldn't be forced to produce bass (thus robbing it of headroom and adding possible distortion as small speakers tried to do bass) and the subs were fed with a different amp. The main problem with the setup was esthetics (your sub most likely won't be arranged evenly due to the room modes effecting each sub) and calibration was a nightmare (took me over 6 months to get it where I liked the sound) but I thought it was worth it at the time (and contrary to what people state, bass does pan if it's in the mix).

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Why? Because we can, can, can. Sorry I couldn't resist:D. I started out with one LFE sub and because my room at the time had a full wall on one side and the other side opened up to the family room the bass was stong on one side and weak on the other. I bought another sub to split off the LFE and spreading the two subs across the front filled in the bass that was missing on the open side. Then about a year later I read an article in widescreen review that listed over 7 pages of movies with 50hz bass mixed into the surrounds. Movies like Mission Impossible 2, and U571, so I decided why not get a couple of 150w subs and give it a try(I could always return them within a week if I didn't like it). The full sound from the rears was just what I wanted. Then I figured why not wire the front subs in line as well instead of off the processors sub out. So I didn't just go out and buy four subs. I aquired them from need and experimenting. Besides 4 TRUE full range speakers that will reach 20hz would have cost me a lot more then the subs and I really didn't have room for 4 speakers like the Paradigm Studio 100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks