Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Video games and RPTV's

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Tim_Mc

Tim_Mc

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 05:37 AM

Is it true that video games will ruin the picture on rear-projection TV's. We have a Toshiba RPTV that is only a couple of years old and we would like to get X-BOX this Christmas but we are worried about ruining the TV. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,

Tim

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   JohnnyN

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 06:21 AM

Most games tend to have certain attributes that might contribute to burning an image... Certain fixed location components such as score, or control center, or for first person shooters the HUD (heads up display).

------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.

JKB

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 06:38 AM

get a gamcube!

just jokes. so long as you tv is calibrated properly and the contrast isn't at an instant-burn-in-death setting you'll be fine. i've been playing my dreamcast and almost nothing but fighting games on my 40x81 for almost a year now and there isn't a hint of trouble.

------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Matty B

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 06:45 AM

Digital is Digital. There is no difference between high quality Digital DVD movies and video games, other than the static image which is present on ESPN, ABC,et. Super obnoxious if you ask me (The present logo). I often play Madden on my RPTV and have no issues with burn in as the score isn't static. OLD school games which featured a fixed score at the top of the screen might cause a problem, but those dont even exist any more.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   RichardK

RichardK

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 06:58 AM

isnt the xbox supposed to have an AV pack that makes it HD compatible , component cables and such?

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   James Nguyen

James Nguyen

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 07:03 AM

The Xbox av pack that has component out allows 480p, 720p, and 1080i signals through. Posted Image

I'm curious to see how the xbox will perform as a progressive scan DVD player.....anyone happen to know what chipset it uses? Mediamatics? Sage? Genesis?

can't wait for mine! Posted Image Posted Image

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 07:26 AM

according to this thread in another forum, the progressive capabilities of the xbox as a dvd player have been dropped. if you check xbox's website, and look up the hd av pack, it even says high def for video gaming, but only ntsc for dvd playback.

------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   James Nguyen

James Nguyen

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted September 14 2001 - 09:31 AM

ah well, my RP91 and Malata N996 are more than sufficient for progressive playback, wasn't expecting the xbox to outperform either of those anyhow....would have been interesting to see how it did though. Posted Image

the first batch of hands on reviews of near complete versions of dead or alive 3 and halo have me frothing at the mouth right now (xbox.ign.com just did reviews of four near complete games)

okay....getting off topic now so I'll stop. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users