What's new

Video games and RPTV's (1 Viewer)

Tim_Mc

Auditioning
Is it true that video games will ruin the picture on rear-projection TV's. We have a Toshiba RPTV that is only a couple of years old and we would like to get X-BOX this Christmas but we are worried about ruining the TV. Has anyone had experience with this?
Thanks,
Tim

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Most games tend to have certain attributes that might contribute to burning an image... Certain fixed location components such as score, or control center, or for first person shooters the HUD (heads up display).
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
get a gamcube!
just jokes. so long as you tv is calibrated properly and the contrast isn't at an instant-burn-in-death setting you'll be fine. i've been playing my dreamcast and almost nothing but fighting games on my 40x81 for almost a year now and there isn't a hint of trouble.
------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Digital is Digital. There is no difference between high quality Digital DVD movies and video games, other than the static image which is present on ESPN, ABC,et. Super obnoxious if you ask me (The present logo). I often play Madden on my RPTV and have no issues with burn in as the score isn't static. OLD school games which featured a fixed score at the top of the screen might cause a problem, but those dont even exist any more.

RichardK

Second Unit
isnt the xbox supposed to have an AV pack that makes it HD compatible , component cables and such?

James Nguyen

Second Unit
The Xbox av pack that has component out allows 480p, 720p, and 1080i signals through. :)
I'm curious to see how the xbox will perform as a progressive scan DVD player.....anyone happen to know what chipset it uses? Mediamatics? Sage? Genesis?
can't wait for mine!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
according to this thread in another forum, the progressive capabilities of the xbox as a dvd player have been dropped. if you check xbox's website, and look up the hd av pack, it even says high def for video gaming, but only ntsc for dvd playback.
------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
ah well, my RP91 and Malata N996 are more than sufficient for progressive playback, wasn't expecting the xbox to outperform either of those anyhow....would have been interesting to see how it did though. :)
the first batch of hands on reviews of near complete versions of dead or alive 3 and halo have me frothing at the mouth right now (xbox.ign.com just did reviews of four near complete games)
okay....getting off topic now so I'll stop. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks