What's new

What is the most disturbing movie you have ever seen? (1 Viewer)

DarrinH

Second Unit
Maybe I am a softy but Se7en, 8mm, The Cell, The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hannibal really disturbed me at first. Horror films just are not my forte as I never watch them. I heard about the above films and they sparked my curiosity so I watched them. Se7en and Hannibal I liked, the others...whuuuughhhh.

This topic came up at work and one associate said If I die before I wake was the worst one for him. He said he could not finish watching the movie it was so bad.

That being said lets hear the answers! Mine would have to be The Cell.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Event Horizon: Contained a handful of shocking scenes to the point whereby I felt that I hated the movie.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Eraserhead.

Second most disturbing is probably Full Metal Jacket, off the top of my head.

I no longer watch movies that might be as disturbing as those two.

Will K

Screenwriter
Easily the most disturbing film I've ever seen is an obscure Spanish film from 1986 called In A Glass Cage about an old Nazi who lives in an iron lung and is tortured by one of his former victims who now serves as his nurse. Extremely sick and harrowing, this film will bury itself in your brain and you will never dig it out no matter how hard you try. Forget any of those Hollywood films previously mentioned. That stuff is church picnic fodder compared to this.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0090197

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
One of the most disturbing scenes I ever saw in a movie was in Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist. The scene I am referring to is when he hammers a nail through the head of his penis, and its not special effects. Interesting movie though.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Pledge: Fabulous movie, but I don't know if I'll ever watch it again.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
The Exorcist. Simply for the reason that many people believe in demons and exorcisms. Possible or not, I can't think of much that is more disturbing than a demon taking possession of a 13 year old girl.

Chris

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
One of the most disturbing things I've seen was actually a made-for-TV movie, "I Know My First Name Is Steven". It was based on a true story of a kid who was kidnapped and molested for 7 years by a guy who told him his family had given him away to him. Most disturbing was that the kidnapper got a very light prison sentence (he was just arrested last month for trying to buy a child and will probably be put away for good this time.) It really stuck with me when I first saw it, though if it were out to buy I'd probably buy it. Strangely the actor who played the kidnapper, Arliss Howard, was not credited at all- his performance was very disturbing. Steven's brother later committed the murders at Yosemite National Park a couple years ago.
Nothing on TV today could have the same impact due to the silly practice of the constant onscreen logos, which totally ruin the atmosphere.
I thought the movie "Alive" was pretty disturbing too (another true story, about a plane crash in the mountains where the survivors eat the bodies of the people onboard who died since there's no other food around), though I finally learned to laugh at it when I heard John Waters say it was one of his favorite movies that year :)

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
Requiem for a Dream. A fantastic movie that is extremely difficult to sit through. Saw it once, bought it about six months ago and still haven't watched it again.

Kids; growing up in a small town (pop. 2200), I couldn't believe that big city high school was like it's shown in this movie. Difficult to watch but I think every parent should see it once.

MancusoB

Agent
doH!

Prince of Darkness for sure! Also, Serpent and the Rainbow gave me the willies.

But the MOST disturbing movie I've ever watched was Bad Boys (1983) with Sean Penn on cable late one night. I was just a kid, and that movie probably did more to keep me on the straight and narrow than anything else.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Requiem for a Dream - Great movie. One of the best films of 2000. And I never ever want to see it again.

A close runner-up would be Schindler's List. Why everyone's clamoring for the DVD I'll never know. It's not exactly the type of film I'd enjoy sitting through again.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Very Bad Things

I remember seeing this by myself in the theater with about 20 other people in attendance. Throughout most of the film, I wasn't sure whether I should be appalled or laughing (I assumed laughing was okay since several others in the theater did).

When I told friends about this movie, I described it as a very bizarre movie. I was given credit by my circle of friends for finding one of the most disturbing movies that they have ever seen.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Devils(1971) directed by Ken Russell.

Scenes of torture, probably the first I had seen. Some sense that it was based on historical fact.
According to the IMDB:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks