What's new

Yamaha warranty like Denon? (1 Viewer)

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I was just at the Yamaha website checking out their warranty as I am considering the HTR-5590 and I was suprised to see that they hold the same warranty position as Denon. If you don't buy from an authorized dealer, then you don't have a warranty. Is this accurate? I have found this receiver for $505.00 US and thought it a pretty good price but it is from a wholesaler on ebay who is not an authorized dealer. I called the wholesaler to verify this and the dude said they "sell" to authorized dealers and that all the warranty papers and receipts for warranty purposes are included. What tdoes this mean? Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice about the receiver itself? AVman is the name of the ebayer and their feedback is really pretty positive. A little help from you guys goes a long way. Thank's in advance.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
May I make one small suggestion, when considering a Yamaha reciever I would suggest getting the RX-V counterpart to the the HTR receiver you are interested in, the HTR line is what Best Buy, and Sears and various other lower retailers carry and side by side the RX-V counterpart is built better and will be a much better reciever than the HTR, a few differences are HTR series do not feature Top-Art design, they use smaller transformers, and have regular metal contacts for inputs where most the RX-V series have all gold connections, as well as lower output than there RX-V counterparts, also you notice aesthetically the RX-V's typically look minutely nicer as well. But thats just my 2 cents.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
So the RX-V1300 would be a comprable model? I'm not worried about spending $700 instead of $550 because I know that you get what you pay for but the $700 range is definitely my max. I was considering Onkyo but I want something with a power rating that I can trust and most on this forum seem to believe in Yammys. I am getting a brand new Axiom setup and want to make sure they are powered accordingly.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Yes the 1300 would be its counterpart I wasn't trying to be rude or knock your choice mind you but letting you know of my experience with Yamaha products, I purchased the 730 and then looked at its HTR counterpart at Best Buy and it just didn't feel/look like it was built as well as mine.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. This takes me to my original question of warranty though. I just found the RX-V2300 on ebay for $639.00 brand new but not from an authorized dealer. AM I safe??? I would happily upgrade to this receiver seeing as how it would only be another $120 bucks or so from what I was originally going to pay for the HTR but I'm SCARED.:frowning:

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
The problem is they are going to want to see a reciept when you send it in for repair which you would not be able to provide buying it from someone online.

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Many online dealers of Yamaha offer their own warranty coverage. Check out, for example, hificiti.com for good prices and an explanation of their warranty policy regarding Yamaha products.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Mike: That $505 price for the Yamaha is actually within the realm of believeability. I bought mine as a Best Buy employee, which means I get my stuff for a 5% premium over what it costs Best Buy to purchase it. My price was a slight bit lower than yours.

I'd go ahead and get it if the reseller is rated well on eBay. He SEEMS to be legitimate, but I'd do some looking first. Click the number beside his name to see what others think of him. A high positive to negative ratio means you'll probably have a good buying experience.

As for the V versus the HTR - not sure if the price difference is worth it. I have the HTR and I'm quite happy with it. Don't know if the build quality is really THAT much better with the V-1300.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Mike,

One thing to consider. Look at the shipping of product policy. You may end up paying more for shipping than it is worth. In a place like Tampa you may be able to purchase locally and avoid that headache, not always, but maybe.

I had to use my denon warranty (unit purchased at Sear's) and it cost me about $50 to ship. They paid the return freight. I now use a small audio shop that I simply return the product to and they handle everything else. I paid more but I do not need to worry now. I also will get an imediate loaner and they will take it back to trade up as well.

Food for thought. You do pay more but you get better service with someone you can see.

Dan Mastro

Agent
when cosidering an axion system, i called joe at axiom. he recommended the rxv1300. bought it along with an epic 60 system. i have not fine tuned the receiver yet, but it sounds great. some of the initial brightness heard seems to have softened, or i became accustomed to the sound. i'm even looking for higher highs on some recordings.
dan

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I stand corrected then, when I worked retail this was the info my Yamaha rep gave me so maybe they've changed things since then. I apologize for the incorrect info and shall do my research better next time.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
As far as the warranty question goes, it's a judgment call ... I too am looking to step up to the rx-v1300, but I'm leaning toward an etailer b/c I can save $250. I'm not worried b/c I've owned several Yamaha products and have never had any problems. Build quality is excellent. Besides, the warranty doesn't last that long anyway. If something does go wrong, I pay for repairs out of pocket, but chances are I'll be fine.

Now, if I were plunking down the big bucks for the rx-z1, I might think differently about covering my rear.

Either way, you gotta go w/ what you're comfortable with.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
May I make one small suggestion, when considering a Yamaha reciever I would suggest getting the RX-V counterpart to the the HTR receiver you are interested in, the HTR line is what Best Buy, and Sears and various other lower retailers carry and side by side the RX-V counterpart is built better and will be a much better reciever than the HTR
Just like to jump in here and say that the above is totally inaccurate. The HTR and RX-V lines have identicle build qualities as they are made in the same factory and made using the same parts. This is stated on the Yamaha website.

There were some differences in corresponding modles like the HTR-5590 and the RX-V1200, but the quality was the same.

- Mike

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Reliable Audio has the HTR listed more expensive than the RX-V1300 right now so they must be at least close to each other. Let me ask this though, WHY the difference? What is the advantage of a company like Yamaha, with literally dozens of receivers on the market, to make two technically identical receivers and market them differently? Also, the RX-V 1300, I believe is rated at 110 watts per channel and the HTR is rated at 100 watts per channel. What is up with that? This leads me to believe that the WPC rating is BS. I know their are problems with true power ratings all over the market and I have been trying to find a company whose receivers are at least close to what they are rated at but I keep getting the same thing. I was happy with the Onkyo receiver that I was looking at but I heard the ratings were inaccurate. Is there a way for me to test the receiver I want to buy and keep for at least a few years? How do I know what wattage is accurate. Here are two receivers that Yamaha themselves say are identical, minus aesthetics, and they are rated differently. Wow.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
well like yamaha says in there FAQ the RX-V's are rated full bandwidth the HTR's are rated at 1khz which will yield different power ratings I will tell you this Yamaha is always conservitive with there ratings.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of your help Jeremy, and everyone. I'll make a decision this weekend and go with it. I'm deffinitely going to shop a little harder locally and see if I can develop some sort of relationship with a dealer near me. We don't have that many decent shops around here. They are either a Best Buy or Circuit City type or they are so high end that I'm afraid to go in there. Over and Out! Mike M.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail.
It seems pretty obvious that Yamaha does not want the on-line sales to compete head on with their specialty retailers, thus the two lines. Of course the specialty retailers might suggest that the RX-V line is better but that would be untrue and would be simply to get you to buy it from their store instead of buying it online.

Does that make sense???

- Mike

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I guess that makes perfect sense. Thank You. Now, should I argue this point when negotiating a price or should I cut out the specialty shop in this case and just buy the cheaper receiver? I like to support the smaller shops but what's the point if they are going to overcharge me for the same equipment. Capitalism at its finest eh?

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Mike,

Don't be scared to go into the high end shops!!!!!

They see people like you every day and look at it as an opertunity to convert a loyal customer. They realize that 90% of the folks that walk through the door cannot afford most of the stuff. However thats why they have such great trade in policys. This allows you to eventially get what you want.

Go in and talk. If the sales rep is snobish then get another one. The snobby one will not be their long anyway.

At the store I visit they are all super nice, provide in-house finiancing, take trades, yada, yada, yada.

They do have an $8,000 set of B & W's I want:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks