Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

24-Pre-empted AGAIN?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 10:11 AM

Couldn't find a thread on this subject, and since the FOX site for 24 makes it quite impossible to find anything, I just wanted to check to see if 24 was actually pre-empted again this week, or if it was going to be on at another time later in the week. All the channels seem to be showing the State of the Union thingy for some reason...
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 28 2003 - 10:29 AM

I think the White House has the ability to preempt any programming it wishes. In order to avoid this, the Big 4 provide their own coverage of it. Otherwise, I can't see why either since it's not a big ratings draw. Thank God Smallville's not preemptedPosted Image

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   DaveBB

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 10:46 AM

Yes, they made it clear at the end of the last new episode on 1/14 that there would be a three week break. From another thread here are some reasons I could think of for the break:

Quote:
If we had 24 episodes in a row the season would end on April 15. I'm sure Fox wants the show to finish during the May sweeps.Most shows do 22 shows a year now; we're getting two more.

Didn't Keifer dislocate his shoulder doing a stunt and production had to be shut down for a week or two?

I thought I read somewhere they shoot two episodes at the same time but that the high production values result in each episode taking 9 or 10 days on average to produce. This isn't a 30 minute sitcom shot on a stage we're talking about here.

Lastly, I'm sure they shut down for a couple of weeks for the holidays.

Quote:
Couldn't find a thread on this subject, and since the FOX site for 24 makes it quite impossible to find anything, I just wanted to check to see if 24 was actually pre-empted again this week,

Didn't you get this popup when you typed in www.fox.com/24?

Quote:
24 RETURNS WITH A NEW EPISODE ON FEBRUARY 4th! SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS Congratulations to Kiefer Sutherland for his SAG Award nomination as Best Actor in a Drama Series.

Congratulations to Reiko Aylesworth, Xander Berkeley, Carlos Bernard, Sarah Clarke, Elisha Cuthbert, Dennis Haysbert, Leslie Hope, Penny Johnson Jerald, Kiefer Sutherland and Sarah Wynter for their SAG Award nomination as Best Ensemble in a Drama Series.

The winners will be announced March 9th.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 12:24 PM

Quote:
Didn't you get this popup when you typed in www.fox.com/24?

Ah, that would be why. Adsubtract must have blocked it. See, now why couldn't that have just been in TEXT on the front page. Of course, that might be construed as useful instead of flashy, and we can't be having that now...

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 01:34 PM

Quote:
All the channels seem to be showing the State of the Union thingy for some reason...

I'm hoping you meant to include a smiley at the end of that sentence... Posted Image
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 01:41 PM

What's state of the union thingy?
And no I don't mean to put a smiley at the end.

If it's a declaration of World War III, then fine, otherwise it shouldn't be on all channels, especially if that means we can't see 24. Posted Image :b
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 01:18 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping you meant to include a smiley at the end of that sentence...

No, I'm actually genuinely baffled as to why it's on all of the TV channels. Do they actually expect that many people to watch it? I can understand something like CNN covering it, but to have it on all of the broadcast networks just seems a little strange to me.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 01:22 AM

Umm...it's usually the norm that major networks cover the State of the Union speech. It's once a year, not that big a deal to get all worked up over. Plus, the production team for 24 needs the time to get caught up because they need more than 7 days to create one episode of 24.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 01:56 AM

Hmm, I suppose that makes sense-I wasn't sure how far in advance they had episodes ready for. I was actually under the impression that they had most of the season done in advance (at least the principal photography). I understand that the post-roduction might be a little more involved though.

I guess it's just that with something like 24, you really can't afford to miss an episode. I think that part of the problem is that when CTV (or Global, I can't remember which it is) shows it here, they cut the preview for the next week-which was when they mentioned the three week delay.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 01:57 AM

So, who the hell is this "George Bush", and what have they done with President Palmer? And what's with all this talk about "Saddam Hussein" when the very real threat of Saiid Ali and his plans to nuke L.A. go unacknowledged and unaddressed?

If this country can't get its priorities straight, if we don't grapple with the real issues that face us and the very real threats to our peace and security, then what have we come to?

Look, it was hard enough for me to accept the end of President Bartlett's administration, but I fully support President Palmer and feel he's doing his utmost to fulfill his duty to protect us all from the threat of terrorist attack. I would never have imagined that in these troubled times, as we face the weightiest and most troubling issues of national security and geopolitical strife, that the networks (I'm looking at you, FOX!) would cut away to cover some irrelevant bit of fluffery and nonsense that has nothing to do with our lives, our futures, and the very fate of civilization.

It's appalling. Posted Image
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 02:08 AM

Rich, Posted Image
/Mike

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 02:16 AM

I'm so 24 starved that I watched the rerun last night after American Idol.Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Brett Jason

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 02:45 AM

Quick non-related question. Has Palmer ever mentioned the Vie President? I wonder if they are reserving that role for a special guest star, a la Dennis Hopper last year?

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 02:47 AM

So, no one checked out the new episode of Smallville (The WB didn't carry the SotU speech)? Posted Image

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 03:03 AM

Rich Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 03:38 AM

Well, we didn't have the 24 repeat here because we were watching someone go nuts on the "Applause" sign in Congress Posted Image

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
I'm actually genuinely baffled as to why it's on all of the TV channels. Do they actually expect that many people to watch it? I can understand something like CNN covering it, but to have it on all of the broadcast networks just seems a little strange to me.
CNN is a *Cable* News Network, and a vast number of people in the U.S. don't have cable or satellite TV. Those that just have OTA TV might not be able to receive all the broadcast affiliates. I know some people that don't get all of them, and might only get one channel. They might want to tune into something like this.

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 04:03 AM

Now that I noticed Chris is a Canadian, I understand his confusion over this issue.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted January 29 2003 - 07:04 AM

Yes...you see oftentimes, when the stuff is preempted on US network channels, the new shows which usually air simultaneously on Canadian stations, don't. Canadian stations almost never pre-empt programming for news reports of any kind, except of course during September 11.
- Mark Kalzer

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted January 29 2003 - 07:17 PM

So that's one of the reasons 24 has been delayed. Should of guessed. Since the state of the union address is required by the constitution, many people seem to think it's important. I suppose I really have no complaints that the networks air it. After all this is actually not a "pre-empted" news event. The state of the union address is a scheduled event (always on a Tuesday I believe). It's an annual scheduled event, sort of like the Oscars, but less interesting and more politically oriented.

Actually I don't have any problems with the networks airing it. The only thing I don't get is the need to air a useless rebuttle by the opposing party. The state of the union address isn't a debate! But, I digress...

Man, Rich. That was funny. And I couldn't agree more.

Now another thing to keep in mind is that unlike other series 24 doesn't have weekly repeats. You have to fill some of those extra weeks somehow.
Check out my Flickr stream. Join the HTF Flickr Pool.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow