Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ALIEN QUADRILOGY discussion thread (including all the glitches)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2704 replies to this topic

#41 of 2705 OFFLINE   GaryEA

GaryEA

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 06:28 AM

This might be a bit OT, but here goes; Does anyone remember a documentary/promo piece narrated by Giger about the designs for the first film? I'm pretty sure it was made around the same time "Alien" was released. I have it on tape, and it's both informative and wild to watch. Giger narrates with a dry tone (my copy has Japanese subtitles) as he goes through each design (face-hugger, the pilot, etc). It has seventies synth music in the background, which is quite effective. I was wondering if anyone knows more about it, or if it might be included. Thanks. Gary

#42 of 2705 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 07:03 AM

[quote] Oh ye of little faith!

Quadrilogy is absolutely correct. Anyone who has said differently in this thread needs to do some more research before claiming superiority.

I refer you to The Oxford English Dictionary... [quote]

Funny, it's not in my copy. Perhaps you have a newer edition that I do. :shrug:

The title really doesn't matter, and "quad" = 4, usually. I've just never heard of the word before, but I've heard of "tetralogy" all my life. I guess I had good teachers. Posted Image

Just old dictionaries...
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#43 of 2705 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 07:07 AM

I'll be interested to know how many of the supplements will be exclusive to the box set. In fact, I wonder if the individual movies will be avilable separately?

#44 of 2705 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,840 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted January 28 2003 - 07:24 AM

EDIT: Yeah, what Dave said. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#45 of 2705 OFFLINE   GaryEA

GaryEA

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 07:29 AM

So what's the cool new word going to be if they do a fifth film? Posted Image

Gary

#46 of 2705 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 08:28 AM

I just hope that original theatrical cuts of "Aliens" and "Alien3" are included in addition to the director's cuts. I'm sure that the director's cut of "Aliens" will definitely be included but I'm still doubtful on a director's cut of "Alien3" considering how thoroughly disinterested David Fincher is with the whole movie. From what I understand, he'd rather forget it ever happened. EDIT about fifth movie: I don't know about an "Alien 5" but for a while last year it was actually looking like "Aliens vs. Predator" was actually becoming a reality. A "director" ("Resident Evil" "director" Paul WS Anderson, who's employment in the film industry is proof that there's no God) was even attached, but nothing seems to be happening as of this moment.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#47 of 2705 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 08:51 AM

David Lambert wrote (post #42):

[quote] [quote]

Run-of-the-mill flash-and-boom. He himself said he had nothing further to say about "Aliens".
"Delenda est . . . . "

#48 of 2705 OFFLINE   RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 08:57 AM

Hey!, I like Paul Andersons stuffPosted Image

Randy
Randy J. Fisher, CTS-D

#49 of 2705 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 09:22 AM

Finally, all 4 films available, in 2-Disc sets(hopefully), with lots of extras not included before on the releases(hopefully). If they alocate the bulk of the extras to the second discs and add commentaries and DTS, this is will defeat all. Perhaps new transfers of all 4 films. They say 2003, this year, but no precise indication of when. I would bet late summer, early fall if it doesnt get delayed. You can always count on FOx to deliver the goods on a franchise. They did great with the Die Hard Trilogy a while back.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#50 of 2705 OFFLINE   Phil L

Phil L

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 09:25 AM

I own the Alien Legacy box set. This new set would really need the theatrical cut of Aliens for me to get the new set and give Legacy to my brother.

#51 of 2705 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 09:38 AM

Since I didn't buy the last box set I will pick this one up. I din't like A3 in the theater but it has grown on me watching it on cable. I haven't seen Reserection since seeing it in the theater. A Joss Whedon commentary about how Jeunet screwed up his vision would be cool.

#52 of 2705 OFFLINE   Jehan

Jehan

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 09:49 AM

Deleted as it's on the first post now (wasn't appearing for me before) Posted Image

I think I'll hang onto my Legacy disc (the bonus disc) until we get a run-down of the features, I am not so sure that great documentary will be included.
Home Theater • 2004 Film List • 2003 Film List • 2002 Film List • 2001 Film List

#53 of 2705 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 09:51 AM

2nd for Joss Whedon.
My Collection

#54 of 2705 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 10:13 AM

I'm curious, but can somebody tell me exactly what the deal is with Alien3? I've yet to see it in its entirety, but it seems there's a whole big deal with how it was edited or how Fincher didn't like it or something or other.

Anybody got five minutes to explain all this? I'm so confused. Posted Image

#55 of 2705 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 10:29 AM

You can bet on DTS and I'm sure they'll get new transfers since its been hinted that these will be available on D-Theater D-VHS mid-03 too. I'm hoping for Theatrical on Disc 1 and DC/'Fan cut' on Disc 2, for each film, and extras on Disc 9.

#56 of 2705 OFFLINE   Michael Hall

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 12:24 PM

Could someone explain to me what Joss's position on A:R is? I'm a big "Buffy" and "Angel" fan, but I've never even heard anything about Joss's involvement with A:R other than seeing the writer's credit, much less any disappointment he had with how it turned out. Feel free to PM me the information if it looks like it's going to take things way off topic. Posted Image

#57 of 2705 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 12:25 PM

Ya know, originally I wasnt getting this set, but 9 discs...well, kinda hard to pass that up. And probably DTS tracks, since the Die Hard's did. Well, just gotta get it and a possible Alt. Cut of Alien3 is just icing!

I really love this series and I am an Alien whore, so Im gettin it. And someone said above what Alien3 would have been had Cameron made it, they said "All out war on earth!" Wow! My imagination is running wild right now. Posted Image

#58 of 2705 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,776 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 12:27 PM

I would wager that we'll loose the "Original Film Score" and "alternate audio and production sound" track from ALIEN. They'll dump one or both in favor of DTS, methinks. Thats fine by me, but a good reason to hang on to the current release. Also, is anything confirmed for content on the new release? I dont want to fuel the rumor mill, but I thought there were rights issues regarding the "Alien Legacy" Documentary, preventing it from showing up ona new release.
Can us poor Yanks get this in the states?

#59 of 2705 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 12:34 PM

[quote] Has there been any sort of suggestion from Fox that a director's cut of Alien 3 might be included because I just thought this was another rumour brought about by wishful thinking from fans of the film (though I would love to see a DC myself) [quote]
It's definitely "wishful thinking", although that doesn't necessarily mean it *won't* happen. As far as I know, the only facts that are known about this set is what's stated in that insert and Peter Staddon's claim that 2003 will be a big year for the Alien series. Anything else you read is just speculation.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#60 of 2705 OFFLINE   Seth_S

Seth_S

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 12:45 PM

On Alien 3: I wouldn't get too excited about any kind of new cut. From what I've read, the film went to hell during production (such as script changes and metaling from FOX), not in the editing room. So it isn't like there are hours off footage laying around in a film canister that contain Fincher's true vision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users