What's new

Update: Universal Changing Pricing on DVD Releases including Westerns coming May 6th!? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm glad these are coming, but I really would prefer they didn't put two movies on one disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I agree with Rain on this double feature dvd issue. Furthermore, both Destry Rides Again and Winchester 73 deserved to be release on dvd separately. Knowing Universal's recent track record I'm wondering about the aspect ratios for a couple of those 1950's westerns as well as the quality of the dvd presentations. I guess we'll find out in three months or so.

Crawdaddy

TimJS

Second Unit
Crawdaddy:

I would think that OAR is critical to the majority of the consumers of these specific titles and that Universal would understand that, right?

'Cos if they don't, you can switch my sold, sold, sold, to unsold inventory, unsold inventory, & unsold inventory.

Tim

ps. just checked and the only widescreen Jimmy Stewart Movies are The Rare Breed & Night Passage according to my sources ... all the other double feature titles are Academy ratio. DVD Planet already has these titles available for pre-order.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I will definitely replace my full frame only Goodtimes DVD of Car Wash with Universal's edition provided it's in widescreen which I'm sure it will be. All solid titles except one thing...

WHERE'S HOWARD THE DUCK???!!!!:D

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
First Paramount and now Universal, God so many great Westerns all at once and not enough $$$ to buy them all.

Where does one start?

ps. Lew,
"The Naked Spur" belongs to Warners, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
:eek:

Good grief! May 6 will be the most expensive day ever! I will buy each and every one of those Jimmy Stewart movies. Too bad about them being double-features, though. Hope quality won't suffer.

I'm glad Night Passage is getting a release. Sure, it's not on the level of the Mann westerns (which is why Mann left the picture), but it's watchable and it's absolutely beautiful to look at.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Good to see a couple of Audie Murphy flicks among them.

Now if only Universal will release "To Hell and Back"

(I'm still counting the pennies in my just this moment, broken piggy bank)

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
I really would prefer they didn't put two movies on one disc.
I agree. Every movie deserves its own disc and I don't like the (cheap) concept of "two-fers" at all. I am not entirely sure that Universal will put two movies on one disc though. On March 4th Universal is releasing The Glenn Miller Story coupled with The Benny Goodman Story. Amazon describes that release as a "valuepack" with 2 discs and DVDEmpire mentions 2-pack as well. Let's hope that they are correct (and if so that each movie comes in its own seperate case).

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Two for the price of one sounds pretty good to me, regardless of how they are presented.( As long as Picture quality doesn't suffer on a single disc, although like Danny, I prefer 2 disc sets)

I think that you will find that it helps with sales of certain titles that may not be strong enough to make it on their own.
If packaging 2 features together means we get rare titles that may never be considered on their own, then I say let's have more double feature sets.

Even if you don't like the other movie in the double, remember that you are only paying the same price as one and the other title is a bonus.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Two for the price of one sounds pretty good to me, regardless of how they are presented.( As long as Picture quality doesn't suffer on a single disc, although like Danny, I prefer 2 disc sets)
The Universal Classic Monster double feature DVD's look pretty nice. In fact, many of them had nicer transfers and cleaner picture quality than the original batch of Classic Monster DVD's that had only one film per DVD. So I'm optimistic about the potential for these DVD's.

I'm looking forward to the Western DVD's, especially DESTRY RIDES AGAIN. I was always outbid on the laserdisc on eBay and will be happy to finally own this film on a quality format.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news (sort-of) especially regarding the Anthony Mann Westerns. I'm a little apprehensive about have both films on the same disc though.

Regardless I'll be picking up Far Country/Bend of the River & Winchester '73/Destry Rides Again.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
It looks like each movie will come on its own disc in its own keepcase :):). Check out this (slightly distorted) image for the upcoming Benny Goodman Story/Glenn Miller Story double feature:

Price for these sets seems to be around only $15 :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Hope the quality is still good.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Let's hope that "Night Passage"which was shot in Cinemascope and features a great Dimitri Tiomkin score and the fabulous "Coal Miner's Daughter" feature their original Stereo Soundtracks as well as having Anamorphic transfers.

That also goes for "The Benny Goodman Story" which was in Cinemascope/Stereo and also the Stereo Sound that was featured on "The Glen Miller Story" Laserdisc.

Let's pray that these cheap DVDs are not also cheap in quality.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Danny! Dual cases/discs makes me much more hopeful about the quality. My western collection is fixin' to get a big shot in the arm!

Now, if we can just get Thunder Bay, that'll be almost all of the Stewart/Mann films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks