What's new

BlueJeansCable- pseudo review (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just got my order from BlueJeansCable and I must say I'm quite pleased with the quality of the product. Just what I was expecting. :emoji_thumbsup:

First and foremost, the online shopping experience... A little odd, as they dont take payments directly (only through paypal) but that didnt bother me. What did strike me as odd was that I never got a confirmation or shipment email from BlueJeansCable.com directly... by the I realized this, though, my cables had already arrived via USPS! :D Fast shipping... very fast.

Ok, so what I got : a 30 ft. digital coax and a 15 ft. subwoofer interconnect. Check out thier website for the specs (Belden 1694A 75-ohm coax with Canare RCA connectors-- very nice cable, if a bit stiff).

Initial impression is simply WOW. I was going from very very basic cables. I was previously using my Creative Audigy card's make-shift "digital" output. For those you who are unfamiliar, it's essentially a standard 1/8" stereo miniplug, but it sends a S/PDIF signal through the left channel-- so I was using a radioshack miniplug to stereo RCA converter and had the left RCA plugged into the coax input on my reciever. This...well... it worked. That's about it. It also picked up some odd noise and just generally didnt have a very clean or crisp sound-- probably because the impedence of the cable is so unpredictable (certainly not true 75ohm) and because it was totally unshielded and extremely long.

I had used the "video" part (yellow connector) of an old radioshack a/v set to connect my subwoofer. This worked fairly well, but it never did sit right with me. I wasn't expecting much of a change here, but I did notice a bit of appriciable difference (a brief a/b comparison... not exactly a scientific double blind test or anything, but the difference is noticible IMO). The digital coax, by comparison, was like night and day difference, I must say. (Now connected to the S/PDIF coax output on the front of my "Audigy Drive" that came with the Audigy Platinum-- soon to be connected to a different computer via the MSI motherboard's onboard S/PDIF).

In short, I'm very very pleased with the product, especially for the price. Unfortunately I can't afford any of thier component cables (a fairly long run gets a bit pricey), but I would love to try them out.

For these two cables, I think you'd be hard pressed to do so well as far as Belden/Canare solutions go for this price. Two thumbs way up.

C

Chris*Liberti

Thanks for the review. I have been considering getting some of thier cables but the prices seemed a bit low.

Ole

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, am a BlueJeansCables fan. I bought a 25' digital audio coax, and three 7710A component cables, 25', 2' and 5'. Couldn't be happier. Delevery was FAST. But be prepared, the 7710A is a REAL "monster" cable, with three good size not-too-flexible coax tucked in a round cover, it looks a bit like a black garden hose. The 25 footer was great for snaking through the rafters in my basement.

Chris, if the price seems too low, order them through me and I'll tack on a 300% markup.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Ole,

Did u get the component cables with techflex cover or just the standard covering that comes with the 7710A. If you got it with the standard covering how does it look?

Ole

Stunt Coordinator
The 7710A comes with a solid rubber-like round jacket, that is what I received. They have that, uh, industrial look, kind of like I would imagine in a recording studio. Fits my needs fine.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I still have some boutique cables in my system and while I change my my setup a bit, I need longer lengths. Instead of trading in or buying longer lengths and selling the short ones on Audiogon ......... I replace them with Blue Jeans without any noticeable loss or improvement and sell them on Audiogon anyway. Money back instead more money out.

I am having an affair with the 1694A with F-connectors.

Don't tell my wife.

will_irwin

Auditioning
I also bought a 25ft. 7710A (three 1694A in the black sheath) with the Canare connectors and also had a very good shopping experience.

As Ole says, this is a big honkin' cable. In fact I was unable to thread it through the conduit I had run for it because it is very thick and stiff. I ended up stripping off the black sheath and threading the three cables through the conduit individually. (This is no complaint against BlueJeans of course; they sent me exactly what I ordered.)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
How does one have an affair with an F-Connector? I have heard there are gentlemen's establishments in the Atlanta area where this has taken place. Of course I've only heard this :b

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hey, some of us are lonely. We spend too much time on HTF to have real relationships. :frowning:

It looks like a hefty cable.
The glove-soft, flexable rubber cables are actually BAD for the signal. The better/more professional grade cables are usually encased in a very stiff/thick outer sheath. This resists tight bends and allows the cable to be pulled through conduits.

While you can strip off the outer sheath to fit through holes, just try to make sure you dont do tight bends around corners or make loops. Ideally, the cable would be a straight line between source and destination. But that would make it hard to wire up your rack.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, some of us are lonely. We spend too much time on HTF to have real relationships.
I think I seriously fall into this category... not really the time aspect so much as the creepy-guy-who-knows-too-much-about-electronics aspect... it's not exactly sexy :b

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to decided between 7710 and 1965 with techflex?
Help!!!
Does techflex does a better job shielding?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Techflex has zero shielding properties. It is designed to bundle cables together, cover interfaces like heat-shrink on the connector-cable interface, and give a nice appearance. Much of the professional cables have thick/heavy plastic casings that are great for tugging through yards of conduit in a building, but dont look good in the home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks