What's new

Omega Man and "I Am Legend" (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Just got finished reading this short story by Richard Matheson, copywrighted in 1954. Nice!

Sounded alot like Omega Man, I thought. Could it have been the movie's inspiration?

Anyone who's read the book and seen the movie care to weigh in?

I wonder why they changed the vampires to zombies in the movie? More of a market for Sci-fi than Horror movies at the time? The book actually made the vampirism very clinical, a disease. AND a result of a nuclear war (where in the movie it was biological war... Or was it an epidemic.. I can't remeber now). So I guess they weren't THAT far off base..

Omega Man remains one of my favorite movies of the period. A little shlocky, but in a good way.. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's the movie's inspiration. It was also made in the early 60's (I think) with Vincent Price as The Last Man On Earth.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There is a great new screenplay of I Am Legend that was to be directed by Ridley Scott starring Arnold but was put in turnaround a few years ago due to spiralling costs of over $100 million (which doesn't seem like a lot today).

Last I heard, Michael Bay had expressed an interest to direct with Will Smith in the lead role.

Hope it happens some day. I loved the new screenplay.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Actually, the last big name attached to 'I Am Legend' was Wil Smith with Michael Bay directing. Arnie left the project when Ridley Scott left.

This has been one of those infamous productions to fall in an dout of favor over something like ten years now. I've read a draft of the script (I don't know if it's been redone since then or not) but it was a nice adaptation. Played to the sensibilities of today's audiences which I can't fault, but as always the original source story is way better.

If you liked 'I Am Legend' you should seek out other Matheson material, including the inspiration for "The X-Files"--The Night Stalker with Darren Mcgavin.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I read the screenplay a few years ago, and found it to be a good blueprint for an asskicking action movie. Then I read the novella and found it to be a lot more profound than the screenplay. In short, I don't think the book will ever be adapted into a screenplay which will suit its sensibilities, because it's such a downer, and audiences expect a clean third act where the good guy kicks ass and saves the day. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but I prefer the book, which ends with the logical conclusion of the world where the protagonist lives.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Nah..

More like the leader of the zombies.. :)

I don't know what I'd rather see a re-make of, honestly. A remake of the original "I Am Legend", or a remake of the remake, "Omega Man".

Probably "I Am Legend". As long as it's more "Night Of the Living Dead" (the original), and less "From Dusk Till Dawn".

Edit: I'm a really bad typist, and a worse spell checker!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The Vincent Price film is actually much closer to the original material than OMEGA MAN was. It's available on a super dirt cheap dvd with HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. Unfortunately, it's P&S and not a good print. I remember that it was released on LD in widesceen some years ago. Really cool atmospheric film and MUCH scarier than OMEGA MAN.

Here's a review from
Mondo Digital

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
>>The Vincent Price film is actually much closer to the original material than OMEGA MAN was.

Yes, The Last Man on Earth, I've heard of it.. But apparently it was in the "C" movie category, with the low production values, etc. But, then, it worked with "Night of the Living Dead". That was low budget and spooky as hell! So I guess you can't go by reviews, you have to see it youself..

Good news on the DVD, where'd you hear that, Paul?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Loved Richard Matheson's novel "I am Legend" and "The Omega Man" is one of my all time favorite SF films, Charlton Heston is superb in it, and I absolutely love the haunting score by Ron Grainer.
In the film germ warfare has wiped out most of the population of the Earth, with a few scattered albino mutants lurking in shadows [brrr], and meanwhile Heston's blood has the cure to save the planet.
In the book, the mutants are actually vampires, and they never drink... wine.:D

Wonder which way they'll go with a new version: Vampire or Mutant? Nuclear or Germ warfare? A decent actor or a flavor of the month?

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I was doing some research on other forums concerning the subject, and one name that was put forward was Rutger Hauer. Who I think would be great, for either incarnation (Omega Man/ I am Legend).

And I am STILL undecided which I would like better, vampire or mutant.. Just so long as one of them gets done. Properly, that is.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Paul -

along with "The Omega Man", is there any work on another Heston end of the world flick "Soylent Green"?

Win

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
There is a great new screenplay of I Am Legend that was to be directed by Ridley Scott starring Arnold but was put in turnaround a few years ago due to spiralling costs of over $100 million (which doesn't seem like a lot today).
It seems to me that a faithful adaptation of I Am Legend could be made on a fairly spare budget. If the budget for the Scott/Schwarzenegger version was going that high, I doubt that the screenplay had much resemblance to Matheson's story.

And please don't mention the possibility of Michael Bay and Will Smith doing I Am Legend - it's too scary! :thumbsdown:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Omega Man was scheduled for a release fairly early on in the existence of DVD--I think during 1998. However, for reasons that were never explained (giving rise to the Great Charlton Heston Conspiracy Theory) it was yanked unceremoniously from the schedule and never released. I'll believe that September 2003 date when I see it. I've still got it on preorder at Digital Eyes :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well time to bring this out of mothballs, now the guy that made Constantine is scheduled to film this, wb is scouting a location in NY, this is going to be crap, why cant the just film the damn book for god's sake, leave it in Ca, not a bunch of mutants, and don't change the ending,
Everybody that doesn't want to see an action picture i agree the should be a Horror/Drama/Noir, at the end you should feel wasted, but then that is what the story does so well.

If you get a chance to read the on-line script its crap , actually would like to see them film the graphic novel exactly the way it is written and drawn. stars who needs them the story is the star, get two unknowns for the leads and make them stars, that is what this could do.

Honestly i would love to see this done with Richard Matheson's original unbutcherd script hell he is still working bring him in for the technical adviser like frank miller was for sin city (i know he was a director) but you underrstand what i am saying

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks