What's new

The Mariners the best baseball team??? Yeah, right! (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Don't make me laugh (116 times).
The record to beat was 125 wins, not 116 wins. Yes, Sweet Lou, your Mariners are going home, as you predicted. They just won't be suiting up!
I repeat what I said before. The Oakland A's are the second best team in the American League and were the toughest challenge for the Yankees on their way to the World Series.
Seattle was no match for the best team in the American League when it counted. It's not how you drive, but how you arrive.
I now look forward to a very interesting World Series.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

RicP

Screenwriter
Hee Hee Hee..
biggrin.gif

As always...Spot on Doc.
Bring on those fiesty D-Backs!!
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Peter_A

Second Unit
I hate New York even more. The most smug and over payrolled team in baseball. Everything about the Yankees is what's wrong with pro sports today. The team with the most money comes out on top. Should I bring up the example of the championship the Marlins bought a few years back?
May the Diamondbacks spank the Yankess so hard, they run home with crap on their faces. :D
------------------
Peter

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Yes the poor old Mariners were no match for the Yanks. I said back during the season that they had no overwhelming pitching or big time batting lineup which is what you need in the post season.
But, having said that, I also hate the Yankees and their store-bought team. I hope Schilling and the Unit pitch 6 of the seven games and stick it to Steinbrenner.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I've said it before and I will say it again. Fair weathered fans are a dime a dozen. Where were you RAF when the Yanks were down 0-2 to Oakland? Poor Robert Crawford was the only real Yankees fan that would even post back then. A real fan sticks his neck out even when they are losing.
Kevin C.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If what allows the Yankees to win year after year continues, Major League Baseball will be completely destroyed. Overall attendance will continue to fall into the toilet and the sport will die.
In this case, I am somewhat glad to see the Yanks win because I pity NYC after recent events, and I am happy to see something bring them together in a positive way. The other reason I am somewhat glad is that I was sick of hearing LOUDMOUTHED braggart Mariners fans for the first half of the season. Best team ever? Keep dreaming.
That said, Yankees fans also could use a dose of humility and reality. Get over yourselves!
wink.gif

mike caronia

Second Unit
blah, blah, blah...jeter, williams, pettitte, rivera and now soriano are yankee draft picks. they are the cornerstrones of this dynasty. like it or not, they are one of the best baseball teams ever.
LET'S GO YANKEES!!!

RicP

Screenwriter
quote: I've said it before and I will say it again. Fair weathered fans are a dime a dozen. Where were you RAF when the Yanks were down 0-2 to Oakland? Poor Robert Crawford was the only real Yankees fan that would even post back then. A real fan sticks his neck out even when they are losing.[/quote]No offense Kevin, but blow it out your ass.
biggrin.gif

Please re-read the replies in http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum2/HTML/005513.html
Stop your whining.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's
[Edited last by RicP on October 22, 2001 at 11:25 PM]

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm from Boston and I'm a long time Red Sox fan so what I'm about to say should have a bit of weight...
The Yankees are to be admired and respected for all that they have acomplished in the 1990's and early 21st century. They know how to win, not only on the field but all the way up to the owner. Say what you want about them but when push comes to shove the Yankees know what to do to keep standing till the end. The Red Sox had either the highest or second highest payroll in baseball this year and where did it get them? They're the laughingstock of the majors right now. Management has set the franchise up fail while the likes of Pedro, Nomar, and Manny waste the prime of their careers. Think that George would let that happen?
As for my Sox....Let's go Patriots!
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Boo-friggin hoo, yankee haters.
Store bought, my arse. The core of this team has been there for years. See mike caronia's post above.
Go Mets! (next year I mean)
------------------
rickyhustle.com

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
A real fan sticks his neck out even when they are losing.
They sure do. They also put their money on their team. Down 0-2 in a best of 5, blown out by Cleveland in game 2, and with Nomar and Pedro injured, who called for 4 hours in the morning trying to get tickets to the ALCS some 900 miles away? I did. Who saw the greatest baseball disgrace in a long, long time time? Well, that was me too, but Selig has gotten his wish again and the only ratings hope is in the WS. If the umps won't call a swing on a Yankee like these past 2 series, well Schilling and Randy will hit their bats for them and make no doubt about the call.
The only team I could root for has made the World Series. Go fellow ND alum and past World Series hero Craig Counsell and win one for your new team!!!!
biggrin.gif

MikeM

Screenwriter
Hey, I'll back it up by throwing these comments out there from a die hard Oakland A's fan. I have to give the Yanks credit for coming back down 0-2 in the A's series. I didn't think they could do it and they did. I hate them, but hey, they can play.
On ther other hand, I'm sick of people defending their payroll with facts that other teams with a higher payroll didn't do so well. Check the facts. Over the last 10 years, the teams with the some of the highest payrolls have dominated baseball playoffs and World Series wins. And it's only getting worse. There are teams out there that now start the season...cough...Montreal...cough....that know they don't have a chance. None. And that's bad for all of baseball. And the Yankees are the 400lb gorilla in that department.
...and don't get me started when the signed Canseco last year as a "backup pinch hitter" to Glen Allen Hiil. Why? Not because they needed him, but because Seattle and Oakland needed him. Another example of how Yankee $$$ kills baseball...
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Ah, RAF, humble in victory, humble in defeat. Oh wait, I haven't seen him in defeat yet. Ah well, one of these years...
I have to admit, I agree with RAF on something related to baseball (did the Earth just go careening out of its orbit?). I too thought the winner of the A's/Yanks series would win the World Series. I just thought it would be the A's. In fact, I thought they would do it in a sweep. I just didn't say anything in L.A. so as not to antagonize my new Yankee-fan friends. :)
But who could've envisioned Zito losing a two-hitter, and Cory Lidle blowing up after pitching so well this year, and the defense falling apart behind Mulder and Hudson (when A's fans see Clemens starting a post-season game against them, they usually figure it's in the bag).
Oh well, I guess I can take some perverse pleasure in the Yankees steamrolling Seattle and Arizona. It validates how good the A's really are. Hearkening back to another thread, no I still don't consider the Yankees "a sentimental favorite". I'm not even rooting for them. Just trying to find the thinnest sliver of a silver lining in the inevitable.
RAF, I was going to suggest adding the word "last" to that "Team of the century" t-shirt of yours. I guess you can leave it as is for now. :)
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."
[Edited last by Rob Willey on October 23, 2001 at 12:57 AM]

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Yes, we can say the Yankees got the best of the Mariners. However, as was shown on TV, Yankees fans are probably the worst there are in baseball. Is it any wonder we want to see the Yankees lose? Yes, they spend alot on their players (over 138 million this year), but it is the sickening exhibits of rudeness by their fans that make them the most hated team in the US (RicP--saying blow it out your ass, for example) All you needed to do was watch what they did on TV to know this. I doubt too many people will be watching the World Series, but most people I know will want the Arizona team to win and not the Yankees.
[Edited last by Tomoko Noguchi on October 23, 2001 at 01:36 AM]

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
RAF, you posted basically the same thing in the original thread concerning the ALCS.
Do we really need another thread taking up server resources?
wink.gif

[Edited last by Patrick_S on October 23, 2001 at 02:24 AM]

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Where were you RAF when the Yanks were down 0-2 to Oakland? Poor Robert Crawford was the only real Yankees fan that would even post back then. A real fan sticks his neck out even when they are losing.
Kevin C.
Oh come on, now! You really don't pay attention here, do you? I've never, ever changed my position on this over the many years I've been a Yankee fan and I've spoken many times about this here and elsewhere. I've been a Yankees fan for over half a century.
What I don't do is make ridiculous predictions before the fact. I leave that to fair weather fans and fans of those teams who rise to the occasion only once or twice a century.
laugh.gif

------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, we can say the Yankees got the best of the Mariners. However, as was shown on TV, Yankees fans are probably the worst there are in baseball. Is it any wonder we want to see the Yankees lose? Yes, they spend alot on their players (over 138 million this year), but it is the sickening exhibits of rudeness by their fans that make them the most hated team in the US (RicP--saying blow it out your ass, for example) All you needed to do was watch what they did on TV to know this. I doubt too many people will be watching the World Series, but most people I know will want the Arizona team to win and not the Yankees.
Tomoko,
The only thing rude here are your offensive comments which are not based on any facts at all but common misconceptions and half truths. Calling Yankee Fans the worst there are in baseball is, quite frankly, a ridiculous statement. In fact, Yankee fans are among the most knowledgeable in the world and far from being the rudest. If you really pay attention to these things you would know that NY fans know how to behave. It's the "fans" in other cities that can't handle things as has been proven by victory "celebrations" in other cities. Detroit wins and the city burns. Chicago wins and the city burns. Same in L.A. and even downtown Tucson, AZ when they win a national championship in basketball. And this is not limited to the US. Look at soccer riots, etc. etc. etc.
On the other hand, NY hosts an almost yearly parade for their champions (Yankees, Rangers, Giants, or whatever), millions of people attend, and they behave without any major incident or people and property being hurt. The rest of the world could learn a thing or two from the behavior of the NY fan.
Speaking of behavior, it's obvious you have never been to a game in Boston. You think NY fans are rough? Listen to the words coming out of the mouths of those fans!
And here's a "flash" for all those disgruntled fans (especially Seattle fans) who keep talking about all the money that the NY Yankees supposedly spend:
Wake up and face reality! Any team (Seattle) who paid $13 MILLION just for the right to TALK to Ichiro has forfeited the right to complain about money being spent!!! Give me a freakin' break. While I happen to think that signing Ichiro was a very, very sound business proposition since he produces much more revenue than he cost in side benefits that doesn't change the fact that they spent $13 million to TALK to him! Talk about being held hostage!
BTW, Yes, Ichiro is a great player and I'd take him on my team any time, but he alone doesn't make or break a team. And while he is undoubtedly the "rookie" of the year in the AL, how many game winning hits did he have in the recently completed series? I seem to recall that it was another "rookie", Soriano, who had a walk-off game winning home run.
This B.S. about the Yankees BUYING championships is just that - TALK by people who either don't understand or choose not to understand the real economics. A knowledgeable fan realizes that the people who just won the AL championship for the Yankees were, by and large, the result of players who were developed by the Yankee farm system, not "bought." People like Pettite and Jeter and Rivera and Williams and Posada and Soriano and Mendoza, etc. etc. etc. And many of the others were acquired by trading home-grown players to other teams. It's the OTHER teams who spent ridiculous amounts of money for players and fall flat on their faces. Look at Texas with A-Rod and Boston with Ramirez and Cleveland with Gonzalez, etc. etc. Almost as important as the money the Yankees do spend on players is the money that the Yankees do NOT spend (all of the mentioned players and more!) You can't buy championships for the long haul - maybe for one year (Marlins) but not 38 AL Championships. This does not make any sense at all if you look at it objectively (which you obviously don't choose to do.) Incidentally, I find that Seattle began to get better when they unloaded A-Rod and Griffey and Randy Johnson. It speaks volumes!
Give us a break here and stop repeating these lies. Jealousy is no substitute for truth and such talk is getting tiresome.
Seattle had a great season, but they are no match for a great team. That was proven on the field (4 games to 1) and is a fact, not an opinion.
Case closed.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks