What's new

"The Savage Nation"hits #1 on N.Y.Times list (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
The talk-show host is your typical Angry New-Yorker, but with an atypical (read: good) talent for communication. I agree with him ZERO percent of the time (thus far), can't stand his grating personality whatsoever, but I am certain his attractors (as opposed to detractors) turn those things I dislike into his strengths because they agree with him.

But, due to forum rules, that's *all* you can say about him. I'd love to go further into why I dislike him, or why I believe his explanation for why his book is #1 is a fallacy, but it'd cross the line of the rules, so I won't.

And because of that, this thread's going to be rather dull or pointless, sad to say.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Dana you could be right about this thread!!!

However, to each his own, in regards to opinions:
I happen to believe that he is right on the money on many of his views. He makes a lot of sense. That is the real reason his book is #1. If it was all a bunch of hooey, I doubt that he would also have the #1 talk radio show in the nation.....(along with the #1 book).

I've never heard of the man until now, but he seems like my kind'o'people. I'll have to check the 'ol library for this one.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Personally I find him somewhat entertaining. Whether or not I agree with him which for me is about 50/50 - he makes me laugh.

Rush Limbaugh can do that for me to. Sometimes Most of the time Rush says outrageous things about himself, yet I find it funny in a ridiculous way.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I shouldn't be amazed, but I am, that all kinds of excuses are made for hip-hop lyrics, and styles, but writers and talk show hosts like Savage and Lumbaugh they are reviled and if their critics had a chance would censor and burn their works.

That said, Savage is not one you can debate. It seems like even if you agree with him he will tear you apart on the air and vent on one of his paranoid issues. Of course I have heard Alan Combs do the same form the liberal forum so Savage is not alone. Just kind of far out there.

I agree with him ZERO percent of the time (thus far), can't stand his grating personality whatsoever, but I am certain his attractors (as opposed to detractors) turn those things I dislike into his strengths because they agree with him.

I can't think of anyone one of either spectrum, liberal or conservative that I can agree or disagree 100% or 0%. Savage is probably right, technically, in a lot of what he says, but those who oppose his views are not willing to enter into a debate on most of the issues that he holds most dear. Of course his grating delivery tends to take an issue and politicize it past the point of rational discussion.

He reminds me a lot of Bill from Gangs of New York but without the meat cleaver. He is first and foremost a native and would kick out all illegal immigrants.

I don't imagine his book is much different from his on air diatribes, but I should pick it up to stay up to date.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I can't argue with sucess and that's exactly what he's achieving now after many years of struggling. Finally there's a voice out there that's not afraid to speak with conviction and address the really hard issues that need to be addressed. Is it any wonder more and more people are tuning into what he's trying to educate them on? He's probably the most educated person on radio today, so he knows what he's talking about.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I love Savage. Great guy with a lot of great points. Do I agree with him 100% of the time? No. But the vast majority of the time, I think he's right on target.

Seems a lot of people here are on the other side of the fence, which is probably why we disagree in many other debates. ;)

I doubt it would surprise many of you that I likewise agree with much of what Dr. Laura has to say...

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
He is first and foremost a native and would kick out all illegal immigrants.
Wow, I had no idea he was native american. Which tribe is he from? I'm guessing Pawnee, who were known for their conservative economic beliefs and anti-bow-and-arrow-control policies. :)

As for the most "educated" talk show host, I would never get into the ring with Michael Medved. Once the conversation turns to history, caller = Wylie, Medved= Road Runner...

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

This is actually one of the more interesting pieces of logic I've read on this forum in nearly 5 years. I can honestly say that I find the exact opposite to be true.

"Beware the tyranny of the masses"

In most cases, the most popular things in a given culture are the least valid. The whole concept of popularity- the idea of appealing to the largest masses of people possible, almost universally indicated a homogenized item which has pull for the "least common denominator".

N'SYNC has some of the biggest selling records in the country-- would you be so bold as to argue that this means their music is therefor artist, valid and worthwhile? That to me resembles the argument that people who make more money are therefor more worthy, and even "better" people.

Seriously- not meaning this as an insult on David, or on this Michael Savage character (who I have never heard of, but can allude from the content of this thread the majority of what he has to say, and the volume at which he is saying it)--- I just think that it's important to not mix up popularity with validity, because in most cases they have a very inverse relationship!

-vince

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a dumb question, but what does it mean to be a "New York Times Best Seller"? I've seen some pretty awful, forgettable books labeled as such. Is it a daily or weekly list? Is it just one list, or are there different charts, like in Billboard? Does that mean for one day, or one week, it was the top selling book?

If it was a slow week for new releases, it probably wouldn't be too hard for a talk show host (or other public figure) to reach that level, just having a fan base that will buy the book when it's released.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Apparently he's on KNST here. I gotta listen to this man and see if he gets me as riled up as Rush did. :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
In most cases, the most popular things in a given culture are the least valid.
Counter-example: Here is a list of popular valid things found in all cultures.
  • Raising children.
  • Smiling.
  • Frowning.
  • Storytelling.
  • Telling jokes and laughing at them.
  • Choosing a leader, or allowing a leader to "rise up".
  • Revulsion against pedophilia.
  • Taking care of loved ones when they are sick.

There are many other popular things that could be seen as "good" or "valid". Of course, everyone could argue all day about what "valid" means!

Drinking water is popular everywhere. Is that an invalid practice? Choosing not to shoplift, even when there is no way they would get caught, is also common. I'd say that is a "good" thing too.

There are many popular things people do that we take for granted. We forget how "valid" they are.

Ike

Screenwriter
Max,

That's one of the largest stretches of semantics I've seen. Vince was clearly talking about art/pop culture.

Never heard the guy before either, except in brief (apparently tame) spurts on Fox News, but listening to sample clips provided by the website MichaelK provided would suggest that we probably don't see eye to eye. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread