-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Complete Mr. Bean 4/29 - not so complete after all?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#121 of 135 Mike_Heggemann

Mike_Heggemann

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 12:21 AM

I would swear that the first time I saw the pilot episode on my local PBS station, there is a scene in the department store that ends with a woman's skirt getting blown up over her head.

Am I crazy, thinking of something else, or does anyone else remember that as well?
Michael G. Heggemann

#122 of 135 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 01:12 AM

Quote:
I would swear that the first time I saw the pilot episode on my local PBS station, there is a scene in the department store that ends with a woman's skirt getting blown up over her head.

That sounds like any number of Benny Hill skits.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#123 of 135 EdwardF

EdwardF

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 04:38 PM

Mike

There is a scene in Back To School Mr. Bean were he absorbs the static electricity from the lightening ball experiment and then he discharges the electricity when he touches this woman which causes her dress to fly straight up as if it were blown up over her head.

#124 of 135 FredCampbell

FredCampbell

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 11:16 PM

Quote:
There is a scene in Back To School Mr. Bean were he absorbs the static electricity from the lightening ball experiment and then he discharges the electricity when he touches this woman which causes her dress to fly straight up as if it were blown up over her head.

I know this scene, but not the one Mike mentioned. I'm starting to think that the only scene I'm familiar with that's missing from this set is the "winning the turkey" segment.

#125 of 135 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 06:46 AM

Weird Glitch, has anyone else noticed this? I was watching the First episode on the second disc, and all of a sudden I noticed a weird square peice of Fuzz in the upper right hand corner of the screen. It's not always there, but every now and then it makes an appearance.

Any ideas?

#126 of 135 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 09 2003 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
all of a sudden I noticed a weird square piece of Fuzz in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Perhaps it's a logo/photo/sign that's been blurred out or censored for some reason? Does it move with the action, or is it always over the same spot on the set?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#127 of 135 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 08:19 AM

Nope, always on the same spot. Not always there, and not on all the episodes either. It just sort of appears and dissapears at random.

#128 of 135 Mike_Heggemann

Mike_Heggemann

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 09 2003 - 10:17 AM

Quote:

EdwardF - you are right. I fell asleep while watching the "Back to School, Mr. Bean" episode the first time(hey, it happens when you're watching DVD's at 1 in the morning). I rewatched it and the scene I was thinking of was in that episode and NOT the pilot episode.

Thanks!

EDIT: Re-Fixed a typo
Michael G. Heggemann

#129 of 135 Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 03:30 AM

Quote:
Weird Glitch, has anyone else noticed this? I was watching the First episode on the second disc, and all of a sudden I noticed a weird square peice of Fuzz in the upper right hand corner of the screen. It's not always there, but every now and then it makes an appearance.

I think I can answer that one, although I haven't seen the DVD, but I do recall it from the UK Mr Bean VHS tapes:

If it's a white or white/black square you're seeing, then it could well be the graphic that's added to commercial television here in the UK just before advert breaks (briefly a couple of minutes before the break, then steadily for the 20 or 30 seconds right up to the break, I believe). It seems that the square is (or has been) added to the transmission master tape before broadcast, as I've come across examples before of ITV programmes (of which Mr Bean is one) having the square left on when shown again later; I distinctly recall seeing repeats of programmes in the 1980s where the square was superimposed on top of the older (larger) square from its first transmission in the 1970s.

A similar square is also added to BBC transmissions, but there the timing is for the various BBC regions synching up to the national network programmes, and is probably added live (i.e. not on the transmission master) as I've never come across it on any BBC tapes or DVDs.

If anyone can post a screen grab I imagine I, or a fellow Brit, should be able to identify it!
"There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes" - The Doctor.

#130 of 135 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 11:56 AM

http://www.ninjaturt...rk.com/bean.jpg

Found on the first episode(Second Disc), at around 23:50, and it's there till the end.

My DVD Player picked it up completly, but since the disc didn't let me take a picture with Creative Labs Screen Grabber, I had to route it through my TV Tuner to bypass it. Unfortunatly, in the TV Tuner, you can only see the lower left hand corner of the box, and the arrow points to it...

#131 of 135 Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 11:36 PM

Yes, that's it, if it's white/black (all I can see on your pic is a bit of black).
"There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes" - The Doctor.

#132 of 135 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 01:20 AM

Unfortunatly, it only showed up complelty on my Creative Labs PC DVD player. The TV Tuner I had to route it through to get the picture cut it off. But yet, it's a grey/dark white background, in a barley larger than a dime box, that has a thick black border aroudn it. There are also lines moving from right to left at a high pitched pace....

#133 of 135 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 02:52 AM

Yes, it's an graphic used to sychronise the adverts during a break/end of programme.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#134 of 135 AnthonyP

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:54 PM

Have there been any more information about those 2 (3?) scenes that were omitted released?

Where can one find those scenes as I have never seen them and they sound like they might be worthwhile? The driving scenes mentioned, are they just random stuff of Bean in a car of actual pieces?

#135 of 135 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 03:42 AM

not that I know of..

But also of note, the Aniamted Bean is coming in a 2 Disc Volume set from the same company sometime in the next month or two..

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow