Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

new All About Eve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 02:29 PM

To me, Fox has done a miracle. For years, All About eve has had major sound problems - the new dVD sounds incredible - AND - it looks great - extras are good too.
Also good is the new How Green was My Valley which seems to use the stereo track I created for Fox back in 1992 using the multitrack music recordings.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 05:44 PM

I finally got a chance to watch my copy tonight and I must say the new release sure beats the previous DVD by a wide margin. I can't wait for some of the future releases by Fox in the future.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,861 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 23 2003 - 06:17 PM

Quote:
Also good is the new How Green was My Valley which seems to use the stereo track I created for Fox back in 1992 using the multitrack music recordings.

I'm still waiting for my copy of How Green Was My Valley and I'm certainly glad that the stereo track is included this time. I understand Fox's Day the Earth Stood Still also includes the stereo track which was created for the laser disc, despite earlier reports saying that it would only have the mono track.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   John Koehler

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 03:44 AM

Mankiewicz, a man of taste and sensitivity, literate, mature, witty. How films have suffered for lack of talent such as his, Wilder's, or Lubitsch, Preston Sturges. At last, Mank's greatest film receives due respect.

The fact that Fox used multi-track music recording so long ago allows one to also appreciate the great score by Alfred Newman, reproduced on the DVD with astounding clarity.

Herrmann's awesome work for Day the Earth Stood Still will be greater still if released on DVD in the same way. Many thanks to Fox, and Joe Caps, for their valuable work.
JohnnyK

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 04:03 AM

I can't wait for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Herrmann and Mankiewicz together!

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   ToddF

ToddF

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 04:34 AM

Joe,

Can you further explain the work you did on 'All About Eve'? I'm sure this would be a great story...

Todd

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   richardWI

richardWI

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 04:44 AM

when does Sunrise come out?

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 09:49 AM

here are some threads about Sunrise

http://www.hometheat....hlight=sunrise

http://www.hometheat....hlight=sunrise

Douglas R

I am also still waiting for my copies of the first 3 Fox Classics
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 11:58 AM

Joe Caps, i'm so glad you are confirming this about
the HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY stereo tracks. I asked about that in the HGWMV review thread and nobody ever answered.
Great! I had commented there how much i loved those tracks. Also glad to hear that EVE is doing well. I'll pick up both.Posted Image

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 24 2003 - 12:38 PM

Just checked out my DVD, including some of the bonus features.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 31 2003 - 02:36 PM

I'm very happy with this latest dvd release of "All About Eve" and still can't believe that Judy Holliday beat out Bette Davis, Gloria Swanson, and Anne Baxter for the Best Actress Oscar.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Paul Drake

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted January 31 2003 - 05:36 PM

In my opinion, Judy Holliday didn't beat out Davis, Swanson, et al for the Oscar. Anne Baxter beat them out. The studio initially wanted Baxter nominated for Best Supporting Actress (which she would've won in all likelihood). However she through a fit and got elevated to Best Actress. This caused a vote split between her and Davis which caused both actresses to go home empty handed.

Years later when Davis was told that Baxter regretted her demand and that she felt she should've gone for Supporting Actress, Davis dryly replied "Yes, she should have".

This is one great DVD all the way around. Fans should also seek out the book "All About 'All About Eve'" which came out a year or so ago.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 31 2003 - 10:15 PM

Paul,
As you know the dvd talks about the split vote in regard to the "All About Eve" actresses, but Holliday still beat out Swanson, who's performance in my opinion was superior to Holliday's.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,555 posts

Posted February 01 2003 - 02:05 AM

I believe that it might be beneficial to the group if Joe Caps would explain further precisely where the tracks for these mono releases came from.

A very interesting story.

The group should realize that they are not a final true stereo tracks as released, but I'll defer to Joe to have fun explaining that one.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 09:49 AM

just watched the dvd, superb indeed and a fantastic print indeed. Bette Davis is simply superb as are the others. I love the Marilyn Monroe part as well.

Great job Fox

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted February 23 2003 - 11:24 AM

TELL ME WHERE IS THE BEST FOX FILM OF THE DECADE
"PEYTON PLACE" LONG OVERDUE FOR A DVD RELEASE,
I HOPE IT GETS A TWO DISC SET, WITH OUTTAKES,
AND MAYBE THE PILOT EPISODE FOR THE TV SERIES,
THAT LEFT THE CROSS FAMILY IN THE SERIES, INSTEAD
OF WRITING THEM OUT OF THE TV SERIES, I REMEMBER,
WHEN I WAS IN THE SEVENTH GRADE SEEING A PHOTO
OF MIA FARROW AS ALLISON, AND GYL ROLAND AS SELENA.