Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Howard The Duck - cult classic or merely fowl?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,701 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 23 2003 - 04:42 AM

Retitled "Howard - A New Breed of Hero" over here, just in case someone eggs on that its about a talking duck called um Howard. This now classic turkey produced by George Lucas has gained cult status and is adored by more than a dozen people (including me) worldwide, full of classic sequences and wonderful quotes "I'm a master of quack-fu!" and "Eat beak!" to name just a couple.Posted Image

HTD also contains hints at beastiality with Howard and half naked Lea Thompson in bed snogging away until interrupted by a jealous Tim Robbins, great pre-cgi effects and a fun stop-motion monster for the climax.
An 80's camp classic, to be savored and enjoyed, an eggstraordinary film.Posted Image

ps. Where's the dvd George?

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#2 of 67 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 05:22 AM

This was one of the "surprise" films at the CWRU SF Film marathon, which was greeted with a lot of groans. Personally, I don't think it is a bad film. I was actually impressed with the Howard costume, which doesn't make me think "Man In Suit". The main problem with the film is that it is one big hunk of velveta. The human performers really are not that good. (Then again, we are comming to expect that from Lucas) Course, the big question is, why did Lucas think this was going to be a great idea for a film? Jason

#3 of 67 OFFLINE   Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 05:34 AM

Oh no. It's as bad as everyone says. Run far, and run fast, away from this celluloid abortion. Posted Image
Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#4 of 67 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 05:37 AM

I havent seen it since 1985 but I remember it not being so bad - Ive definitely seen worse.

Or maybe I was just lusting after Lea Thompson Posted Image

#5 of 67 OFFLINE   RobertW

RobertW

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 05:58 AM

lea thompson did look very nice in that film. :b

#6 of 67 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,769 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 06:16 AM

[quote] I havent seen it since 1985 but I remember it not being so bad - Ive definitely seen worse. [quote]
Dear Lord, you've suffered. I didn't think there was a movie on this planet that's worse.

#7 of 67 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted January 23 2003 - 06:24 AM

It is a guilty childhood pleasure, not to mention it had a catchy song by Mr Thomas "She Blinded Me With Science" Dolby. And Lea Thompson looked good in it...there I said it.

Just because it reminds me of my childhood, doesn't mean I'll ever sit through Masters Of The Universe again. That was truly a much worse film than good ol' Howard.

C'mon, Jeffery Jones stuck his tongue in a cigarette lighter, that was COOL!

3D is always a compromise. 

#8 of 67 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 06:28 AM

[quote] It is a guilty childhood pleasure [quote]

Amen. I don't have any taste for it now, but it will always hold a place in my heart Posted Image
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#9 of 67 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,622 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 06:29 AM

Definitely foul fowl, the biggest Lucas turkey prior to the SW prequels. The "duck out of water" aspects were cute for a while, but got old fast, and the silly "monster" plot was dull, dull, dull. Lea Thompson did look fetching in her underwear, though.

#10 of 67 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,701 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 23 2003 - 11:14 AM

John Barry's score was great, bought the soundtrack LP, pretty sure the soundtrack was never released on cd, hmmm no cd or dvd for Howard, sad, Lucas laid an egg and now wants to keep it buried, tsk tsk.[who quacked?]

ps. The bit with the tongue in the cigarette lighter was cut from the UK video release, in fact all the tongue action in the truck with Lea Thompson [Homer's Brain: mmmm tongue action Lea] was missing, but the good old BBC showed an uncut widescreen copy a few years ago, wahay!Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#11 of 67 OFFLINE   Greg_Y

Greg_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 11:38 AM

I saw this in the theater, opening weekend if I remember correctly. (I also saw Leonard Part 6 on opening night!) I don't think I'd buy it, but I'd love to see it again because I remember watching it on HBO as a young'un; I'd like to see how it stands up after all these years.

#12 of 67 OFFLINE   Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 12:10 PM

Why do people keep blaming Lucas for Howard the Duck? He put his name on the picture to help sell it as a favor to the directors/writers/producers Hyuck and Katz, who did a dialogue pass on Star Wars and were good friends of his. He had little to do with the film.

#13 of 67 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,622 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 12:30 PM

[quote] He had little to do with the film. [quote]

I very much doubt we'd be hearing that if the film had been a success. Posted Image

#14 of 67 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 02:42 PM

[quote] Just because it reminds me of my childhood, doesn't mean I'll ever sit through Masters Of The Universe again. That was truly a much worse film than good ol' Howard. [quote]

Actually, I liked that film too. Posted Image

Jason

#15 of 67 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 02:45 PM

[quote] I didn't think there was a movie on this planet that's worse [quote] On Deadly Ground

//Ken

#16 of 67 OFFLINE   Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 02:56 PM

Like I said, he was asked to put it there as a favor to help gain notoriety for the film, which was written/directed/produced by two good friends of his who had helped him out on Star Wars. He had little if anything to do with the film. It was purely a marketing move on the part of his friends, who were having trouble getting it made and getting word out.

#17 of 67 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,622 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 03:29 PM

[quote] It was purely a marketing move [quote]

Yes, and it succeeded in doing what it was supposed to do--associate him with the film, which answers your question about why people perceive him to be responsible for it.

#18 of 67 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 10:45 PM

I really hate to admit this, but I enjoyed Howard the Duck many many years ago. Cheesy as hell, but I had fun with it. I'm not sure how it would stand up today, but I doubt I would put it into a "worst movie ever" category. There are far, far worse things lurking in the darkness of the video void than Howard the Duck. I really would like the DVD :b
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#19 of 67 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 11:07 PM

I watched this not to long ago, hadnt seen it in years and years, it is just a fun little movie I think.

#20 of 67 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,601 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 12:19 AM

Foul very fowl!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users