Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

S-Video cable for Sega Saturn?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,059 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 10:48 AM

Does anyone know if the S-Video cables sold for use with the Sega Dreamcast will also work with the Saturn? The end that connects to the system looks the same, but I can't tell if it really is or not.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 11:00 AM

No the Saturn has a plug that is very similar to S-Video, whereas the Dreamcast uses a Multiout that is very similar to the PlayStations Multiout.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 05:26 PM

I bought a gold-plated Saturn s-video cable from Hong Kong for about 2 bucks 2 years ago, and if I had known what a rare item they had become, I would have bought a couple of dozen.

You can get one from Lik Sang at http://www.lik-sang.....ducts_id=1097

You'll want to buy a couple of other things if they have something you want cheap, otherwise shipping is going to cost more than the cable.

[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 19, 2001 at 08:27 PM]

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,059 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 10:24 PM

Yep, the connector is different than the Dreamcast's- I got it confused with the controller connectors. That really sucks how they have game systems made so you have to use THEIR cables instead of putting regular S-video out jacks on the systems! I remember you had to buy a whole attachment for the Turbografx system just to get ANY A/V outputs on it!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 10:55 PM

Yup. The basic reason is cost. Outputs take up a lot of real estate on a console, and only the PS1 originals had even seperate RCAs on them. It's a lot cheaper and more versitile to just use cables like that,because you can serve everyone out of 1 connector on the board Jeff Kleist

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 19 2001 - 11:42 PM

Quote:
I got it confused with the controller connectors.
The controller connectors are totally different as well. ------------------ [Edited last by Graeme Clark on September 20, 2001 at 02:42 AM]

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 06:07 AM

Quote:

It's a lot cheaper and more versitile to just use cables like that,because you can serve everyone out of 1 connector on the board

And don't forget that it also allows you additional revenue by selling alternative cables - ala SVideo etc.

------------------
Nothing In Particular

high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Kelley_B

Kelley_B

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts

Posted September 20 2001 - 07:27 AM

Or in the case of the Jap. GameCube selling any cables period, as the system didn't come with any!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow