Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sight and Sound (2002) Greatest Films Club

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3782 replies to this topic

#3781 of 3783 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 02:47 AM

Tristana and Gospel According to st Matthew are two of the top three I want to see from that list (the other being Marnie, followed by Los Olvidados).  I'm irritated I missed the chance to see City of Sadness on film a few years ago, from the Hou Hsiau Hsien films I've seen, it's probably best that I watch them in a theatre.

I also don't want to devote the time to Berlin Alexanderplatz, but I have no real problem watching one episode a night or one episode a week.

I do find it more than a little irritating that Euro TV shows qualify for this list.  Almost as irritating as the idea that French titles need not be translated but no other country is so privileged, I hate the implied pedestal of leaving French and only French titles untranslated.

#3782 of 3783 Evan Case

Evan Case

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted August 21 2012 - 06:32 AM

I remember that 1930s thread, as well as that one participant who called us all xenophobes because we had not listed a number of German films that had to that point been extremely hard-to-find in the United States. I loved Berlin Alexanderplatz. Even to this day, there are many moments from that film that remain vivid in my memory. I am by no means a fervant admirer of Fassbinder (beyond his superhuman productivity), but I would certainly rate Berlin as a 4-star classic. With all that said, it really is more of a television show than what I would call a film in the S&S sense. The Criterion version even has credits after each hour-long episode, making it explicit. Better to approach it as a really great season of a long-form TV show, something like The Sopranos or The Wire, or perhaps a one-off like I, Claudius. But whatever it is, film or TV, it really is worth making the time for. Evan
"               " - Buster Keaton
S&S (1992 & 2002), The 1930s : Finished! S&S Club : 311 seen (Recent: Bigger Than Life)
AFI Challenge Stars: 36 left, Songs: 11 left, Passions: 2 left, Cheers: 4 left, Quotes: 2 left, Top Tens: 1 left; (Most Recent: Camille [Passions, Stars]) 

#3783 of 3783 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 02:15 PM

I remember that guy too, I bet he found a welcome home at criterion forum where they prize obscurity and difficulty-to-locate as signifiers of greatness and worthiness over other qualities films may possess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users