What's new

National Lampoons Vacation - widescreen? (1 Viewer)

K

Keni

Greetings,

Does anyone know if there is a widescreen version of this movie? Laserdisc, VHS, DVD? I have done many searches, and have only found the full-screen version.

Thank you.
Best regards,

Keni

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
There is no Widescreen DVD of this movie.

I am not sure about the other formats (LD is a possiblility)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Uh, I was pertaining to Region 1 only :b

Nice to know there are other Regions that have it though!

wally

Second Unit
Damn!

I was hoping this was an announcement of a rumor of a widescreen release. I'd quickly buy a replacement for my only P&S title.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Same here. It is criminal it hasn't been done already. That one and Kindergarten Cop! And Karate Kid!!

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Actually, Vacation is open-matte, not pan and scan. So the whole widescreen image is presented, there just aren't any mattes to cover up what we're not supposed to see!

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
There are quite a few early Warner Bros. titles that need to be upgraded with 16:9 widescreen transfers. Some of the ones I'm waiting for....

Arthur
Fair Game (1995, Cindy Crawford)
Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation (yes, I like it. :D )

Other non-Warner Bros. titles that need this treatment:

Happy Gilmore
Psycho II

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Vacation is completely (or mostly) open-matte, but the transfer is so awful, that I believe it's the same (analog) one used for the original VHS!

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Actually, there is. It's available in both Regions 4 and 2, although the Region 4 version is far less expensive (about $9 US). It is non-anamorphic but still a vast improvement over the lousy Region 1 release.

Jeff
NOT TRUE! My R2 copy is indeed anamorphic and is one hell of an amazing transfer. Looks like the movie came out yesterday, it looks that good. No, I am not joking.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The GRISWALD familys antics can be enjoyed on the Deustch
"Schrillen Vier auf Achse, Die" DVD in Anamorphic 1.85

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
There are quite a few early Warner Bros. titles that need to be upgraded with 16:9 widescreen transfers. Some of the ones I'm waiting for....

Arthur
Fair Game (1995, Cindy Crawford)
Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation (yes, I like it. )
Unfortunately, our good friends at the WB, in their infinite wisdom, stated in a chat here on HTF last year that they had no idea that there was a demand for catalog comedy titles to be released in widescreen...:angry:

Until they remove their heads from their collective rear-ends, it appears as though we may never get a widescreen treatment of the above titles :frowning:

Of course, that also means that they won't ever get my money for the above titles, either! I do own Christmas Vacation, but it was a gift...

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Unfortunately, our good friends at the WB, in their infinite wisdom, stated in a chat here on HTF last year that they had no idea that there was a demand for catalog comedy titles to be released in widescreen...
That was a SARCASTIC remark. They very well knew that there was a demand, and they just wanted to be a little funny...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
NOT TRUE! My R2 copy is indeed anamorphic and is one hell of an amazing transfer. Looks like the movie came out yesterday, it looks that good. No, I am not joking.
My mistake! You're right it is anamorphic! I remembered it looked very good compared to the R1 disaster but I had forgotten it was anamorphic.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks