-

Photo

B.O.C. Agents Of Fortune SACD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 10:50 PM

Just recieved word from Amazon that this title is available.

I've been waiting for some titles to be released that would force my entry into the world of SACD an DVD-A....finally starting to show up and this is one of 'em!

If anyone picks up this title, please comment on it's quality.

Thanks,
Jon
"Don't you wonder sometimes...
'bout sound and vision"

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 01:59 AM

I am not the biggest hard rock fan but I am interested in this title as well.

I'll let you know if I get it...Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 05:58 AM

I have a copy on the way. I should receive it some time later this week. I'll post a review here after I have listened to it.

Greg

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 07:00 AM

I'm still waiting for Sony to remaster the rest of the BOC catalog.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for Sony to remaster the rest of the BOC catalog.

You're not alone. In particular, I'm looking for Cultosaurus Erectus and Mirrors.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael_T

Michael_T

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 09:15 AM

Mine shipped from Elusive Disc today - should have it by the end of the week.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 02:11 PM

I am curious to read reviews of this SACD as well.

As for BOC CD remasterings, I'd take a remaster of Fire of Unknown Origin.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 11:31 AM

Well I've listened to the entire disc in both multi channel and stereo. I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. It seems to be lacking in the upper regions of the audio spectrum. Cymbals are almost hard to hear on some tracks. Sorry I don't have the redbook version to compare.

The multi channel mix is the type where it puts you in the middle of the "stage". At least it's not too gimmicky. One part I thought was strange was the cow bell in Don't Fear The Reaper only comes from the left rear speaker. The one song I did prefer the multi channel mix was The Revenge of Vera Gemini. It is by far sonically the best track on the disc in my opinion. But overall I preferred the stereo mix.

Overall I enjoyed the disc. It's nice to listen to songs from your youth. But this disc doesn't come close to the sound quality of say the Stones remasters. Hope to hear what others think of this disc when they get theirs.

Greg

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 23 2003 - 04:36 PM

I have a copy coming down the mail chute. I'm not set-up for M/C right now but I'll compare the thang to the original LP. The new Keb'Mo' is coming too!Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted January 26 2003 - 03:50 AM

I compared three songs, THE REAPER, E.T.I., and THE REVENGE OF VERA GEMINI on vinyl and the SACD. When I first started comparing REAPER I thought that the bass had been enhanced on the SACD, but when I got around to amplifying the record enough to give it approximately the same volume level as the SACD, I found out that the two were pretty transparent. I found more or less the same to be true of VERA GEMINI.

E.T.I. which is undoubtedly the most dynamic cut on the album sounded better on SACD. The LP seemed rolled off some and the bass slightly muffled. On the record maybe this cut was badly enginered? I wouldn't be much of an authority on that. The SACD just sounds detailed beyond the LP on this cut. A big wet kiss off the master tape, maybe? That's how it sounds to me. Posted Image

I'm not set-up for M/C right now and thusly have no oppinion there. Greg, I doubt the CD of the album would reveal much. I haven't heard it but 70's material nearly always sounds better on vinyl. I disagree with you about the sound quality. It's comparable with the Stones' stuff IMO. I can't find much to dislike about the stereo program.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Cary_K

Cary_K

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 09:46 AM

What other BOC titles might be in the works? ET Live would be interesting, I think. Thanks for the review, Greg.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 11:07 AM

If i's of any interests to you guys, A Long Day's Night is available for pre-order on DVD-A from DVD Planet for $6.98. This is a Silverline disc, but should be still be decent for a live recording.

Check it out here:

http://www.dvdplanet....409&format=DVD

J

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   James RD

James RD

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the link, Justin. Not to purchase anything, but to find out who BOC was.Posted Image

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 02:00 PM

Does it say anywhere on the package if it's been remastered? I presume so even for the stereo mix?

I think Agents and Spectres go together quite well...
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Al B. C

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the link, Justin. Not to purchase anything, but to find out who BOC was.

Man! I'm gettin' old. Posted Image

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   James RD

James RD

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 02:33 PM

You might be aging, but believe me, so am I.Posted Image I certainly pre-date that particular band. I'm just not a fan and had no idea what BOC meant.