What's new

PAL pitch correction - how often? (1 Viewer)

Johan Stensson

Auditioning
How often is pitch correction done for PAL DVDs? I read somewhere that FOTR had it done, but then again, I've read other reviews stating that FOTR R2 did not have the correction. Can't remember where the reviews were though.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I'm not sure if LotR:FotR R2 has been pitch corrected as such - there does seem to be some debate about this.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that EiV - the UK distributor - denied that Pitch correction was done. And this does seem to make sense as I'm sure no other EiV discs have had pitch correction.

However, there is no debate that there is something wrong with the soundtrack - noticeable at several points in the film.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Every TV series I know of that shoots film shoots at 24fps, except Farscape which shoots at PAL friendly 25fps.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
LOTR FOTR EE is pitch corrected. Bjoern mentioned it on his site and I got it and can confirm. PQ is MUCH better on FOTR than the NTSC version.

:) d

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Dave, just because you have a quote from a skeleton in your sig doesn't mean you have to show off your necromancing powers. :wink:

But to continue the topic, I don't believe it's a matter of pitch correction anymore. It's just a matter of doing a timestretch *without* affecting the pitch, which is widely available in all audio authoring applications today. So I would be surprised if any recent PAL DVD's are in the wrong pitch - if they are the conversion engineer for sure didn't know what he/she was doing! :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
:)

I will be getting the R2 Titanic, (gotta have the 4 disc version!) and will update. My recent Australian copy of SCREAM had a VERY noticeable pitch shift. Was weird to watch, but anamorphic and dts.

And even my season 7 Buffy set had the noticeably higher sounding voices. Doesn't really bother me though.

:)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
For people playing a PAL-tape on a modified player in an NTSC environment, it depends on what the PAL->NTSC converter really does.

If it plays the frames by forcing the normal NTSC 3:2 pull-down, it could also play the audio without PAL speedup, because the film would have its normal duration.

It really depends on the implementation on that player of the conversion. I wonder if we know enough about individual players.

Cees

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I'm also about to snag the R2 Batman flicks and SW. ROTS for the better PQ. I have the PAL SW TPM which is definitely NOT pitch corrected. Liam sounds a wee bit girlie in it!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well I still prefer it as the R1 is an awful edge enhanced mess which on a 92" screen is WAY more distracting than a 1/2 step rise in the pitch.

But that's just me....

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
From what I've seen the EE difference between the R1 and R2 versions of Ep.1 is like going from crap to slightly less crap. :D

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
a 1/2 step rise in the pitch
This is incorrect. The 4% pitch difference accounts for about half a semi-tone. This may be nitpicking as far as Dave is concerned, but I just want to set the record straight - a half-tone (half-step) rise would be unbearable.

Real Name
Anthony
This has always confused me. I understand the 24fps to 25fps thing, but I've never noticed any of these speed-up / pitch change problems on my R2 DVDs. So :

Does the PAL system have this speed-up / pitch change when played back on a PAL system, or only when played back on NTSC ?

Is there a similar or counter issue when playing NTSC on a PAL system ?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The 4% pitch difference accounts for about half a semi-tone.
Nope. This is incorrect. It is 1/2 a step. I put on a song that is in C on the NTSC version, (I used "Life's a show..." from the Buffy musical) and I play along on my keyboard in C. I put in the PAL version, (which has a GREAT anamorphic transfer, BTW which the R1 NTSC does NOT have) and wa-la, it is in d-flat. Same when I play along on a guitar. Don't believe me, try it out for yourself.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Does the PAL system have this speed-up / pitch change when played back on a PAL system, or only when played back on NTSC ?
Yes - it's noticable irrespective of the playback system. You don't notice it probably because you're not overly familiar with soundtrack CDs, or you don't watch a lot of NTSC/24fps material, so you don't know how certain actors should sound in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks