Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

PAL pitch correction - how often?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Johan Stensson

Johan Stensson

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 07:25 AM

How often is pitch correction done for PAL DVDs? I read somewhere that FOTR had it done, but then again, I've read other reviews stating that FOTR R2 did not have the correction. Can't remember where the reviews were though.

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 07:41 AM

It's wildly irregular. Stargat SG-1 Season 5 was corrected, 6 is not

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 10:51 AM

Quote:
Can't remember where the reviews were though.

If you are thinking about the R2 DVD review, I guess it was dvdforum.nu but it was also mentioned in the regional dvd area on this forum.
My DVD list

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 10:55 AM

I'm not sure if LotR:FotR R2 has been pitch corrected as such - there does seem to be some debate about this.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that EiV - the UK distributor - denied that Pitch correction was done. And this does seem to make sense as I'm sure no other EiV discs have had pitch correction.

However, there is no debate that there is something wrong with the soundtrack - noticeable at several points in the film.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 05:27 PM

Every TV series I know of that shoots film shoots at 24fps, except Farscape which shoots at PAL friendly 25fps.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 06:40 AM

LOTR FOTR EE is pitch corrected. Bjoern mentioned it on his site and I got it and can confirm. PQ is MUCH better on FOTR than the NTSC version.

Posted Image d

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 08:29 AM

Dave, just because you have a quote from a skeleton in your sig doesn't mean you have to show off your necromancing powers. :wink:

But to continue the topic, I don't believe it's a matter of pitch correction anymore. It's just a matter of doing a timestretch *without* affecting the pitch, which is widely available in all audio authoring applications today. So I would be surprised if any recent PAL DVD's are in the wrong pitch - if they are the conversion engineer for sure didn't know what he/she was doing! Posted Image

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 08:34 AM

Posted Image

I will be getting the R2 Titanic, (gotta have the 4 disc version!) and will update. My recent Australian copy of SCREAM had a VERY noticeable pitch shift. Was weird to watch, but anamorphic and dts.

And even my season 7 Buffy set had the noticeably higher sounding voices. Doesn't really bother me though.

Posted Image

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 12:14 PM

I would be surprised if any recent PAL DVD's are in the wrong pitch - if they are the conversion engineer for sure didn't know what he/she was doing!

How recent do you mean by "recent"?

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,664 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 12:32 PM

For people playing a PAL-tape on a modified player in an NTSC environment, it depends on what the PAL->NTSC converter really does.

If it plays the frames by forcing the normal NTSC 3:2 pull-down, it could also play the audio without PAL speedup, because the film would have its normal duration.

It really depends on the implementation on that player of the conversion. I wonder if we know enough about individual players.

Cees

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 09:27 AM

Quote:
How recent do you mean by "recent"?

Well, MPEX2 (http://mpex.prosoniq.com) timestretching has been available in Nuendo (and Cubase SX) since 2002 I think and the Waves Sound Shifter (http://www.waves.com...tent.asp?id=116) was released in 2003, so anything after that is just silly...

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 11:40 AM

I'm also about to snag the R2 Batman flicks and SW. ROTS for the better PQ. I have the PAL SW TPM which is definitely NOT pitch corrected. Liam sounds a wee bit girlie in it!

Posted Image d

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 12:15 PM

Another reason why I won't go near PAL dvds.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 12:17 PM

Well I still prefer it as the R1 is an awful edge enhanced mess which on a 92" screen is WAY more distracting than a 1/2 step rise in the pitch.

But that's just me....

Posted Image d

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 12:36 PM

From what I've seen the EE difference between the R1 and R2 versions of Ep.1 is like going from crap to slightly less crap. Posted Image

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 14 2005 - 12:52 PM

True, true. The R2 is far from perfect but it still looks WAY better than the R1.

Posted Image

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 09:25 PM

Quote:
a 1/2 step rise in the pitch

This is incorrect. The 4% pitch difference accounts for about half a semi-tone. This may be nitpicking as far as Dave is concerned, but I just want to set the record straight - a half-tone (half-step) rise would be unbearable.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted October 16 2005 - 12:29 AM

This has always confused me. I understand the 24fps to 25fps thing, but I've never noticed any of these speed-up / pitch change problems on my R2 DVDs. So :

Does the PAL system have this speed-up / pitch change when played back on a PAL system, or only when played back on NTSC ?

Is there a similar or counter issue when playing NTSC on a PAL system ?
I've been going to bed early . . .

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
The 4% pitch difference accounts for about half a semi-tone.

Nope. This is incorrect. It is 1/2 a step. I put on a song that is in C on the NTSC version, (I used "Life's a show..." from the Buffy musical) and I play along on my keyboard in C. I put in the PAL version, (which has a GREAT anamorphic transfer, BTW which the R1 NTSC does NOT have) and wa-la, it is in d-flat. Same when I play along on a guitar. Don't believe me, try it out for yourself.

Posted Image d

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
Does the PAL system have this speed-up / pitch change when played back on a PAL system, or only when played back on NTSC ?

Yes - it's noticable irrespective of the playback system. You don't notice it probably because you're not overly familiar with soundtrack CDs, or you don't watch a lot of NTSC/24fps material, so you don't know how certain actors should sound in real life.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow