To keep things clean, let's use this thread for predictions only. We have a lively discussion going in this thread, so join us there to talk about all things Oscar.
Following is the list of categories. The number in parens after each category is the maximum number of nominees for each category:
- Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (5)
- Performance By An Actor In A Supporting Role (5)
- Performance By An Actress In A Leading Role (5)
- Performance By An Actress In A Supporting Role (5)
- Best Animated Feature Film Of The Year (5)
- Achievement In Art Direction (5)
- Achievement In Cinematography (5)
- Achievement In Costume Design (5)
- Achievement In Directing (5)
- Best Documentary Feature (5)
- Best Documentary Short Subject (3)
- Achievement In Film Editing (5)
- Best Foreign Language Film Of The Year (5)
- Achievement In Makeup (2)
- Achievement In Music - Original Score(5)
- Achievement In Music - Original Song (5)
- Best Motion Picture Of The Year (5)
- Best Animated Short Film (5)
- Best Live Action Short Film (5)
- Achievement In Sound (5)
- Achievement In Sound Editing (3)
- Achievement In Visual Effects (3)
- Screenplay Based On Material Previously Produced Or Published (5)
- Screenplay Written Directly For The Screen (5)
Official Academy site
Official Rules for the 75th Academy Awards
Several categories have announced lists of eligible films. Be sure to check these before making your picks in these categories:
Eligible films for Best Foreign Language Feature
Eligible films for Best Animated Feature
Eligible films for Visual Effects
Eligible films for Sound Editing
Eligible films for Documentary Feature
And only two films are eligible for the Makeup Oscar: Frida & The Time Machine!
Other random notes:
- Remember, successful Oscar pickers choose what they think the Academy will do, NOT their own personal favorites.
- You don't have to fill in all 24 categories. However, you should at the very least predict the Big Six (Picture, Director, and the four Acting categories).
- As the Oscar climate will be changing often please feel free to edit your picks up until February 10.
- I will be tabulating the posts to come up with the HTF Consensus picks (see 2 posts below). To keep my sanity , I will be updating these three times - the next two weekends, and the final update on the evening of February 10th.
- You may include one (and only one) Wild Card pick per category if you wish. Wild Cards will count 1/2 point when totaling the consensus.
- Don't worry about projecting the eventual winner (although you may if you wish). After the noms are announced on Feb 11, I'll start another thread to gather predictions for the winners.