-

Photo

collecting on electrical damages from UPS makers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted January 18 2003 - 06:30 PM

Here's a question I've been wanting to ask y'all. Has anybody ever been sucessful and taken them up on their warranty claims of covering equipment damaged by lightning strikes or surges or brownouts? If they can't back it up , why even advertise it in the warranty? There's got to be some good horror stories on this out there, lol!

#2 of 9 Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted January 18 2003 - 06:49 PM

The only person I know who tried it was unsuccessful. I forget all the reasons the company gave, but he tried for well over a year and only received a new power strip. The documentation for the original power strip claimed it had a $10,000 guarantee, and this guy (a coworker) was only asking for $1500 or so.

#3 of 9 David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted January 19 2003 - 01:17 AM

what brand was it? Several years ago my uncle's APC powerstrip failed and they re-imburse him for the repair and replacements of all of his components (around $8000 worth) within 3 months from the original date of claim.

#4 of 9 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted January 19 2003 - 04:17 AM

I don't think that APC is in this catagory, as they pay up.

As for the rest, especially with the cheapo strips, I have been told that they will protect you from most problems the first time, but a part inside gets burned in the process, and using it after that provides no protection at all.

Can't verify that, though.

Glenn

#5 of 9 Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
As for the rest, especially with the cheapo strips, I have been told that they will protect you from most problems the first time, but a part inside gets burned in the process, and using it after that provides no protection at all.

That is true, some actually have a warning light that will light up when the sacrificial MOV gets burned up. Does not do a much good if the strip is out of sight but at least it is there.
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#6 of 9 Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 04:35 AM

In my experience, Glenn is correct. APC will pay up and quick. Also, Monster is great to deal with.......... they paid my customer's repair bill BEFORE they even got the damaged unit. They also sent him a replacement SS "on the spot".
The IS NOT an area to 'cut corners" and save a dime or $$$ on a little known brand that you might buy at the hardware store or your Mega-Giant Mass Merchandiser.

Regards, Tom B.

Posted Image
Still A LD and Vinyl FAN !!

#7 of 9 Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 04:20 AM

Wow, APC might be the ticket. I was surprised anybody actually was able to collect. Thanks!

#8 of 9 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 04:34 AM

A lot of these companies write a billion loop-holes into the fine print.

I recall when i worked at Universal Electronics (the guys who make ONE FOR ALL replacement remotes)-- they had a $1000 guarantee that the remote would work on your device.

But if you read the fine print, it only guaranteed basic functions (on/off, play, channels, stuff like that), omitted any device made before 1980, and they had a whole loophole to where they could "upgrade" the remote to a different one (and since their top of the line models were all upgradable, they could waste 3 months making you send in the remote that didn't work and sending you a $50 remote reprogrammed with your needed devices, and never pay anyone the promised $1000).

As far as I know, in the 2 years I worked there and the 4 years prior they had the offer- they never paid once.

I assume many of the UPS companies offering guarantees like this are well covered in loop holes and exceptions.

-Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#9 of 9 NickT

NickT

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 07:03 PM

Another vote for APC. While I've been lucky and have had no problems, I've had a chance to talk with someone knowledgeable about power conditioning and learned a bit about it. APC may cost more, but it's worth it.