What's new

" An Evening With Kevin Smith " -- The funniest thing I have ever seen? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
If anyone else has picked this up I am sure that you have had a hearty laugh or two watching it. Any fans of the New Jersey chronicles needs to add this to the collections.
For those not in the know... what has happened was Kevin did Q & A sessions at various colleges in the U.S. Students lined up and asked ANY question you could think of. And the result is a very very funny 4 hr dvd that really surprised me. :)
Interesting tidbits -- When asked to re-write the (now defunct) Superman script back in 97 - 98, the producer at the time (Mark Gordon) asked that Kevin stick to 3 rules in his draft.
1. He doesnt want to see Supeman fly
2. He didn't want to see him wearing that fairy outfit.
3. He had to fight a giant spider in the third act of the film.
Kevin was amazed at this... And was eventually booted from the project.. but saw a movie that had the same producer a couple years down the road.. it was called WILD WILD WEST... featuring a giant mechanical spider....
Of course my writing of this does not give a justice of they way it flows out of his mouth. :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I've watched it 3 times... and it is like 4 hours long :)
Very funny, I love the Prince story.
"Well you know Kevin, Prince has been living in 'Prince World' for some time now" :D
The "Big Fuckin' Spider!" part had me rolling on the ground too. And don't even get me started on Penis sores ;)

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
if you like Kevin Smith at all, definitely watch this!!

by the way, IIRC the producer for Superman Lives was Jon Peters (of Batman fame).

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
Damn you all! I was trying to hold off buying this, but ... temptation ... became ... too ... great.
I hope you're proud of yourselves. :D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Superb release, posisbly the most delightful menus I have seen on a DVD. I don't think I've laughed out loud so much in watching anything pre-recorded like this before...

The one sad thing was his telling of the Superman story was not as good as the one I have heard him tell in a recording from a comic convetion online where he went further into the mess those executive Warner Brothers meetings became (ninjas came into play at one point).

Dan

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I rented this from Netflix and watched it just last night, funny is an under statement. I laughed louder and longer at this than most "comedies" Hollywood has put out in years.:emoji_thumbsup:
Have you folks found the wealth of easter eggs on both disks? They range from fairly funny to jawdroppingly hilarious......"You didn't want to get pregnant so he suggested anal sex? What's my advice for stopping a guy from wanting to fuck you in the ass? Stop wiping."

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Watched it last night for teh 3rd time.

New favorite bit. The Tim Burton "I'm an art student " bit... classic...

"With his JacKie "O" glasses..." hahahahahah

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
There was also the whole (very long) story about Prince. I tried eating while watchig these DVDs. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Luke Foust

Stunt Coordinator
I am not a huge fan of Kevin Smith soley based on the fact that he always comes across so full of himself on everything I have seen him on (DVD Extras, interviews, etc..) I actually have enjoyed most of his movies but not so much him. Do you think I would like this disc?

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I think you perhaps didn't really listen to Kevin Smith previously, if you feel he came across as arrogant or conceited. Smith is one of the most self-depreciating celebrities I know of, and he specifically talks about it in the disc. He also addresses, a few times, folks who don't like or who kinda like but disagree with various points of his projects. Smith is a rarity, IMO, in Hollywood, in that he's a regular guy and remembers it, and hasn't converted to that other type of person called "celebrity".

The discs are *very* funny, because Smith is a rather funny and honest guy. He doesn't censor himself, has the vocabulary and language of a writer, and makes usually insightful observations about life in general. He's popular for a reason, IMO, and its due to the substance of him.

My two favorite selections are his first night of romance with his (soon to be) wife, and his recounting of the Superman Lives nightmare. The piece about his cover shoot for High Times is also very funny.

Matt Hamand

Agent
For anyone on the fence on this title check your local Blockbuster. I found my copy Previously Viewed with an additional 30% off. Grand total after CA sales tax was $9.80. Totally worth it at that price.

Matt

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Luke,
While Kevin Smith in my opinion does not come off as full of himself... the first time I watched it I thought he was pretty rude to a few people. But after digesting, and watching it again... it seems that the people he is rude to reeeeely have it coming.. So there is no pity now ;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I loved when he called the parents of a clearly stoned/drunk audience member who was being a bit loud and obnoxious....well..compared to the rest of the loud and obnoxious & drunken & stoned crowd.

"Sir...I think he's on the pot."

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I finally picked this up and it is very enjoyable. There is a curious thing in the packaging that has me shaking my head. It's the "Also available on DVD" blurb. OK I understand "Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters & Marvels" its about comic books he is in it. "Dogma" again I know why that is listed. Then the last one "Mr. Deeds"!? Why is that there? Did Kevin Smith have ANYTHING to do with that flick? Just curious.

--Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks