What's new

Please Help - New DD/DPLII/DTS with older speaker set up - How to best setup? (1 Viewer)

CarlosPA

Auditioning
Hi all...
I currently am going to be replacing my old Yamaha RXV 890 DPL receiver with a Denon AVR-3802. Took me a while to make the switch partially b/c of funds and also b/c the sound of the RXV 890 was so pleasant to my ears, even though it was only DPL. Anyway, I was running that receiver with my Paradigm Titan speakers for the fronts, however they were coupled with the passive subwoofer that came with the speakers when I purchased them years ago. With the Yamaha, I was running the Titans through the passive subwoofer as they were intended, b/c when I separated the speakers from the sub and ran the sub separately (from the B set speaker connection), the Titans sounded way to high and bright- almost hurting my ears.
Now with my new receiver the AVR 3802 how should I best connect my speakers (fronts- Titans & the passive subwoofer) in your opinions? I'm new with the DD/DTS receivers. It's going to be a while before I can purchase a powered sub after getting this receiver :)
Your opinions and advice are appreciated. Thank you in advance! :)

Ned

Supporting Actor
Option 1-

Use the same connection method and run the mains "large" and set sub to "off". Hopefully the passive sub does filtering of the signal so that it only "sees" lows and the titans only "see" highs.

Option 2-

Run the titans "small" and use your old receiver to power the passive sub connected to the LFE output set to "on". The 3802 should have an 80hz crossover option, which should work well with the titans.

Option 3-

Get a new powered sub like the SVS 25-31PCi.

CarlosPA

Auditioning
Thanks Ned. I'm going to try Option 1 and 2 first :)
If not, I may need to look into option 3.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Ned's option 2, set the Yam on direct or stereo and buy a "Y" connector and a cable run from the Denon's sub pre-out to an input on the Yam and drive both Voicecoils of your sub this way (in case you didn't understand Ned's suggestion and don't forget the spl meter). Btw, great suggestion and I highly second this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks