What's new

The Beatles Anthology DVD. (1 Viewer)

MarkBurton

Second Unit
From The Digital Bits....
On the DVD-Video front, look for The Dixie Chicks: An Evening with The Dixie Chicks, Jennifer Lopez: Let's Get Loud, John Mayer: Any Given Thursday, Yukmouth: United Ghettos of America, Russell Watson: Russell Watson Live and Ute Lemper: Sings Kurt Weill & Michael Nyman (all 2/11), The Jam: The Complete Jam, Slayer: War at the Warfield, Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live and George Strait for the Last Time: Live from the Astrodome (all on 2/25), The American Tenors (3/4), Various Artists: Golden Age of the Piano and Bryn Terfel: Live in Concert (both 3/11), The Stranglers: Video Collection and David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust (both on 3/25) and The Beatles: Anthology (on 4/8).
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I can't wait. how long is the anthology and how many disks do you think it will be?
Nice to see The Jam and The Stranglers with a little output as well. :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I know it is on 5 disks but don't have run times. The delay is what bothers me. I hope they don't make it a habit.

Glenn

AndrewG

Grip
Jack, why is that? The video is so great, I am sure it would sell like crazy. Is there some legal problem?

Andy

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Andrew: Apparently. The story is that Apple and the surviving Beatles want you to see the authorized biography instead of the unadulterated Malcolm McDowell-narrated film (which is nothing short of reverent in its own right). I agree. It's a wonderful documentary. JB

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I'll be purchasing this one and if it has 5.1 mix, so much the better. I'm definitely looking forward for this one.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The Beatles are my favorite band... and I already have the book... and I didn't have an LD player way back when...
THIS IS SO MINE! :)

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Ok guy, I listen to the Beatles and really like them, yet i have no idea what this includes. Could someone please fill me in?

Thx,L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Deepak, the Beatles Anthology was an authorised documentary series made for TV a few years ago. It basically follows the band from its earliest Quarrymen days right up to the breakup. What makes it of great interest is that it includes interviews with all the surviving Beatles (George was of course still alive then) and key personnel. In addition, there are in the background alternative takes, demos, etc, of many of the Beatles songs (including a fantastic demo of 'While my guitar gently weeps' over the end credits of one programme). The downside is that it is very sanitised, and a lot of the acrimony is glossed over or even ignored (if you want to read about the Beatles'story, try getting hold of Philip Norman's 'Shout' which is probably the best single introduction to the subject).

The series had a CD tie-in - three double CDs called (not surprisingly) Anthology 1, Anthology 2, and Anthology 3, which comprise alternative versions of many of the songs, live recordings, etc.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
All signs point to a 5:1 mix on the DVD's. I hope as on the Yellow Sub. DVD it has a separate music only 5:1 track. Or how about a feature of playing only the musical performances.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Although one can never tell until it is released, reliable sources have indicated that it was remixed for 5.1, and in fact, that is what has taken so long (over 5 years).

And I second the recommendation for Philip Norman's 'Shout' book.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I'll give a third nod to Philip Norman's book, Shout. It is without question the best Beatles book available and I've read quite a few of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks