What's new

Best receiver for under 500 for small speakers (1 Viewer)

MichaelMOS

Agent
I know there are a bunch of threads like this one but i just want make sure i get the right receiver.

I have small sony satellite speakers. My room is about 16 by 16. I have a sony 5.1 receiver now and it seems to fill the room ok. Its 100Wx5. My room is so full of computers stuff i can't fit larger speakers in here. So i need a powerful receiver.

I need at least:

4 digital inputs. At least 2 optical and 2 coaxial.(computer, xbox, dvd player, digital cable box)

6.1 surround. i would like both dd ex and dts ex if possible. Because without those, i have no reason to upgrade.

Component video. At least 2 inputs.

thats basically all i need. Right now i am looking at 3 models, the Pioneer VSX-D811S, the Kenwood VR-6060, and the Sony STR-DE985.

Now i know i said under 500 but the reason i said that is because you can usually find some models that are 499 to under 400. So any model that can be bought from an ok site for under 400 would be cool.

I was originally looking at the sony but have heard bad things about. I am looking at the pioneer but have heard that it is not good with music and thats its not very strong. I am also worried about the 1 percent THD. The kenwood looks ok but the component video bandwidth bothers me alot.

so which would you choose for small speakers?

edit: i would like to add that if the receiver can be found from a non-authorized dealer for under 400, it would need to have a warranty so i guess that excludes Denon and yamaha.

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
For me, I like the Pioneer. Here's why.

Sony: I used to own one a few years back and had some problems with it. Plus, I have heard bad things about their lower models. Of course, that could very well be just in a few cases. I'm just repeating what I have been reading.

Kenwood: Very nice for the price. Good power! As I have stated in previous posts...3 issues with it compared to the Pioneer. 1. No pre-outs for future upgrades. 2. Not all the speaker connections on back are posts, some are clips! 3. I don't believe that it comes with a learning remote as the 811 does.

I think that the Pioneer is choice for those reasons. I am currently trying to find one at the $299 price myself. If your using Sony Sats, I think that the power (100w x6) will be fine.

P.J.

MichaelMOS

Agent
I guess you missed the 299 at best buy also? they have it this week for 399 and a 50 dollar gift card i think.

Peter_James

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I missed the deal. I'm trying to get someone in the States to pick one up for me and send it to me, but I moved on it too late. Now I'm not sure what I will do. That receiver offers alot of bang for the buck. My only question about it is the quality of the amps compared to like Onkyo or Kenwood, but I plan on getting an external AMP in a few months and only using the 811S as a pre/pro.

P.J.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
Go to Link Removed for the Pioneer 811s. They always sell it for $300, plus an additional charge for shipping. They're an authorized dealer and their service is top notch.

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

if you are going to get a serpate amp eventially, why not get seperates? Look at the Outlaw 950. Also look at Marantz. You may regret it later if you don't get seperates. I did! Learn from my mistake.

my $.02

Shalom Shalom

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
I would see if your local Circuit City will price match the HK AVR 325 at Costco for $499. Some stores will do it, and some will not. It is definitely worth the effort...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks