What's new

Frighteners - shabby new cover (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Here for your viewing (dis)pleasure
Well, what a mess. Does anyone really think that this will sell better than the original 'face behind wall' cover would? I notice as well that Universal are pushing the Lord of the Rings connection.
Looks like all hope of an Ultimate Edition are officially out of the window now :frowning:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Lord, thats awful. I don't have a problem with them cashing in on PJ's LOTR success but at least give us something that's worth a second purchase...like a new transfer and add a dts track. AND CHANGE THAT COVER!!!!!

Andy_MT

Second Unit
common sense would have said that universal should've cashed in on PJ by releasing said special edition, with an agressive marketing campaign alongside "lord of the rings". PJ is in the limelight at the moment, and given that this could be a limited window, it would have been perfect timing to maximise revenue from this title. (as well as "cashing" in on the recent back to the future release with MFox)
unfortunately i keep forgetting ... this is universal. not known to be the brightest sparks in the industry, and this is yet another in a long line of opportunities lost.
and how meagre is this DVD going to look compared to new lines' LOTR.
i suppose there's always hope that common sense will break through by the time LOTR 3 comes out, but refer back to previous point ... this is universal etc.
still, at least we all get some smashing new art work. :frowning:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone really think that this will sell better than the original 'face behind wall' cover would?
Honestly, yes. While the striking original design will appeal to some consumers, there's a bunch who are giving movies 1/2 second looks while flipping through a rack in the store, and many of them are going to be stopped by a familiar face. I don't know as I'd be one of them, but I've got family members that would.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I hate the current trend of movie posters (and DVD covers) that shows the faces of the main actors. Boring. Universal is just bringing the Frighteners cover into the trend.
[ shameles self promotion ]
Anyway, for those who didn't see it over in the software for sale section: Frighteners SE LD for sale
[ /shameless self promotion ]

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I saw this at Circuit City this past week... thought exactly the same thing. What a mess.

Thank goodness for my Frighteners laserdisc set!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Universal is redesigning a few of their DVD covers due to recent films that have been released (Frightners = LOTR/Jackson, Dante's Peak = Die Another Day/Brosnan).
Old Cover:

New Cover:

(Courtesy of Shrill from DVD Talk)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Ack. Pooey. They spend how much on these advertising campaigns and this is the end result? There is no profit in creativity, it seems.

Bruce

Deborah*T

Agent
Poor old Linda Hamilton, taken off the DVD cover.
As for the new Frighteners cover: that really is frightening!!
I am buying it quick before they change the cover on R2 as well. I loved that movie. Fantastic. :emoji_thumbsup:
Deb

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
As far as Dante's Peak is concerned...with all due respect to Linda Hamilton and Brosnan; NO new cover art would make me sit through that movie again! Once in theaters was brutal.
Once in college I lost some weight etc...my roommate was quick to point out that despite a new look, "Same package, different wrapper"... I think that's true here.
And I agree with Andy here, what a lost opportunity for Universal here with the Frighteners. :thumbsdown: Some one there needs a root canal or something to help them gage better what people are wanting.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Thank god. I had been holding off on purchasing this one until it had a new and terrible cover. I'll run out and pick this up right now.

Waits for the proper special edition

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I don't get it. The material already exists to make a KICK ASS DVD Special Edition of this movie (new cut, commentary, long ass documentary ala LOTR EE).
I already own the old version... but I would really like the extra material w/o shelling out $250+ for an LD set.
Sigh. :rolleyes

James Reader

Screenwriter
Honestly, yes. While the striking original design will appeal to some consumers, there's a bunch who are giving movies 1/2 second looks while flipping through a rack in the store, and many of them are going to be stopped by a familiar face. I don't know as I'd be one of them, but I've got family members that would.
...But it's not even a decent picture of Micheal J Fox! I'm sure it's worse than even his passport photo. It's a complete and utter mess! A photoshop trainee could mock up a better cover in less than 2 hours!

If you want to do 'headshots' on a cover, at least do it properly in the first place.

Plus is missing the tag line 'No rest for the wicked' which is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks