What's new

How to dispose of my old VCR? Suggestions please! (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I have this eight year old VHS VCR which I've been using mainly as a TV tuner for my HT system. The machine's playback mechanism has been broken for the last six years, but since I prefer Laserdiscs and DVDs over tapes any old day, the mechanical failure has never been a real problem.
Next Tuesday, a Bell ExpressVu satellite service will be installed in our condo building. Since the VCR will be replaced by a satellite receiver, I figured why not dispose of the VCR in an unusual way?
I already have a few ideas.
- Smash it with a sledgehammer (cover removed for more damage potential)
- have it run over by a steam roller
- Encase it in cement with the power cord sticking out of the side
- Have it blown up (Safety goggles everyone!)
These methods are pretty much simplistic in nature. Does anyone have any better ideas?
------------------
The Milnoc
Week of July 23: "Unbreakable"

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Don't smash it donate it to a organization like The Goodwill, Salvation Army, D.A.V. Disabled American Veterans. Or perhaps there are some schools that train students in electronics that can use it?
------------------

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Although it might be tempting to do something Late Night with David Letterman to your VCR, I too would likely donate the VCR. I would ask that the target group assure me they will recycle the vcr if they cannot fix it or when it has reached end of life for them.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Donate it!? It's not a kidney people! I say BOMBS AWAY!
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

Willy K

Auditioning
Personally im rather fond of the sledgehammer idea, as it would ensure that such evil shall never again be imposed on mankind :-} as well as the revenge factor, the stress and tension releiver it would be.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Yeah, but some of us can resist the temptation of desruction for the sake of the enviroment. Just be strong and pass it on.
wink.gif

------------------

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Throw it off the tallest building you can find, with a bunch of watermelons and bowling balls. And maybe try to get it to land in a tub of jello, or better yet, try to drop it so it smashes through the screen of a TV.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Well,I do not really have a good idea other than wrapping it in avery expensive rug and throwing it in the lake...aftermidnight of course.
What ever you do,be sure and give it a good (nelson from the simpsons) HA HA
Wait..just had another idea.Duct tape a 2 liter soda bottle to the side of it.Put some torn strips of aluminum foil in the bottle,then fill it about half way with toliet bowl cleaner.shake it and throw it...
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Here's another idea, take into the woods with a shotgun, and blast the shit out of it, then mount the heads up on your wall like a deers head!
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

ace peterson

Second Unit
I would take it apart myself and see if I couldn't figure out why it doesn't work. Not that I'd still use it if it did work, but just to see if I could.
Maybe you could dismantle it completely and then put the parts back together again making something entirely different. A collage (spelling?) dedicated to the history of home entertainment. Or make your best representation of your brother-in-law and give it to him for Christmas.
Ace

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
First build a trebuchet (I probably spelled that wrong)... then take it out to a big field, and bring along a shotgun. Then have a buddy launch the thing, and try blasting it :) Skeet shooting with a twist!
Brian

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Whew! For a moment there, I thought this thread was becoming a charity drive -- although that's not a bad idea. The only problem is do I really want to give poor people a bad start in home entertainment? :)
The trébuchet idea is interesting. I know there's a couple of entrepreneurs who built their own and launch old toilet bowls on a regular basis.
The soda bottle full of aluminium foil and toilet bowl cleaner also sounds interesting, but can the blast pierce through the cover? Even with the cover off, will the blast be powerful enough to destroy the internal circuitry?
I'm also wondering about having it crushed in some kind of industrial press. Imagine the side panel of a car made out of an old VCR.
As for the suggestions involving guns, forget it! I ain't touching one of those things! I'm Canadian for crying out loud!
biggrin.gif

Keep the suggestions coming!
------------------
The Milnoc

Chip E

Screenwriter
Put it in your car, the next guy that piss's you off, throw it at him do'n 80. hahahahahahahaha.
No, don't do it!
Lol, Chip
------------------

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Why not give it to a local repair shop for parts maybe that way you'll make a friend & if you ever need anything fixed, you'll have a friend in the business :)

Charbel

Agent
Leave it somewhere outside where it will get stolen. Preferably by an enemy of yours. HAHAHAHA HAAAA HHAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Charbel, you just hit on something there! I'll have to call a TV show about this since it could become an interesting feature!
We take the VCR and put it on a table in the middle of downtown Montreal. We add a sign that says "CECI EST UN PIÈGE! THIS IS A TRAP!" and film the reaction of Montrealers seeing this supposedly "free" gift with a catastrophic warning.
As an extra incentive, you have a couple of people dressed as "Men In Black" show up at lunchtime in an unmarked van, set up the prop, and promptly leave the area.
Will Montrealers pass on the free gift? Or will someone simply snatch the thing and run away? The VCR is clean enough that many people will be very suspicious of the whole affair. Will they be arrested if they take the machine? Will anyone really care? Or will a crowd form around the machine wondering what will happen next?
As for the "THIS IS A TRAP" message, it's true since the machine does eat tapes. :)
If you'll excuse me, I have a few phone calls to make...
------------------
The Milnoc

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jimmy Hendrix "voodoo child" treatment would work...
laugh.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I had a JVC VCR that died before its time (that's another story!) and I took great pleasure in tearing it apart with my bare hands. All told I spent about an hour breaking everything into little bits. That, for me, was more satisfying than any mechanical method of destruction.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I GOT IT
sell it on EBAY and claim it can play DPL II encoded movies.
wink.gif
, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get at least 300 to 400 for it.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks