-

Photo
- - - - -

Atlantic Tech (outlaw 950 clone) prepro review now out

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 OFFLINE   Ted Kim

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 04:01 AM

I didn't see anyone posting on this. I just got my copy of Home Theater magazine yesterday and it had a review of the Atlantic Tech prepro. The review is by Steve Guttenberg, who I consider my favorite reviewer who writes for that mag. So keep your eyes peeled for it if you are interested in either the Atlantic Tech or the Outlaw 950.

#2 of 48 OFFLINE   Ted Kim

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 04:02 AM

Doh, I made a typo in the title. Sorry, but you get the picture.

(admin note: fixed typo in thread title)

#3 of 48 OFFLINE   DarrylM

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 10:19 PM

Can you provide us with a brief synopsis? Overall, was it thumbs or down?

#4 of 48 OFFLINE   Ted Kim

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 12:17 AM

Overall, it was a thumbs up. He reviewed it with a B&K amp and the Outlaw 755 amp. The value rating was about an 85, I can't remember exactly. However that is with a list price of $1699. The Outlaw 950 should get a much better value rating since its essentially the same piece but at $899.

#5 of 48 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 02:21 AM

Ted, did the author even address the obvious question: is it worth it to spend the extra $ for the Atlantic Tech pre-pro (or that other "identical" model) as opposed to the Outlaw 950?

This has been the subject of such controversy, and truly the price difference is too extreme and the two units appear too identical for this issue to not have been addressed. What's the word?
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#6 of 48 OFFLINE   Yogi

Yogi

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 02:46 AM

Did they mention anything about how it sounded with the B&K amp vs the Outlaw amp. I am interested in that particular peice of information as I have a B&K amp and would be interested in a prepro upgrade somewhere down the line.
The truth is not out there but within you.

#7 of 48 OFFLINE   Ted Kim

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 03:37 AM

Quote:
Ted, did the author even address the obvious question: is it worth it to spend the extra $ for the Atlantic Tech pre-pro (or that other "identical" model) as opposed to the Outlaw 950?

No, he didn't even mention it, but just kept it limited to the details of the Atlantic Tech piece. He listed the Outlaw amp as one he used for the review, so he HAS to know about the Outlaw 950, but there is no mention of the 950. To be fair, HT mag. restricts the word count of their reviews way, way too much, so even if he wanted to get into it, they might have had to edit it out.

Quote:
Did they mention anything about how it sounded with the B&K amp vs the Outlaw amp. I am interested in that particular piece of information as I have a B&K amp and would be interested in a prepro upgrade somewhere down the line

There's no indication of any comparisons between the B&K and the Outlaw amps, but I think its highly probable that a follow up review of the [newly released] Outlaw 755 amp would follow and then a comparison made.

He gave kudos to the bass management for 5.1 analog sources (SACD, DVD-audio), though some people have blasted the Outlaw 950 for being too limited in that area. Furthermore, he used a Sim Audio Moon CD player, I think the Eclipse model ($5400), for two channel music comparisons and strict 2 channel preamp only performance. He concludes you want to use the analog bypass mode. Basically, for 2 channel preamplification using a high end source, he notes the treble extension/definition was on the soft side of neutral notes a slight loss of transparency but really does not criticize it in other areas.
[edit: I reread the review to make this section more accurate]

Lastly, he does not bring up any of the HISS issues which plagued the first batch of Outlaw 950's way back in April, May? So that issue should be put to rest.

#8 of 48 OFFLINE   DarrylM

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 01:14 PM

Quote:

My girlfriend seems to think that the titanium silver finish is worth the extra $800. Of course, she doesn't actually have to pay for it... Nevertheless, I don't believe that there are any differences in terms of components or performance.

#9 of 48 OFFLINE   Peter Loan

Peter Loan

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 01:43 PM

What has HT Magazine ever given a thumbs down on anything? I haven't picked up the mag in a couple of years so I'm just curious.

#10 of 48 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 05:59 PM

If it is indeed rated an 85, that seems low to me compared to other reviews of "good" (and "bad") components in that mag. That sure isn't a "glowing" review...

My copy isn't here yet though! Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#11 of 48 OFFLINE   Ted Kim

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 11:31 PM

OK I've got the review in front of me this time. My memory was a bit off, value is 86 not 85.

Here are the scores:

Build 86
Value 86
Features 92
Performance 92
Ergonomics 82

For HT, he says the "uninhibited dynamics are scarily good"

He wishes the subwoofer level could be set for different levels with DD, PDLII and stereo, because he had to frequently adjust sub output levels when switching modes.

He ends with "The P-2000 is undeniably a great pre/pro. you add the matching 7-channel amplifier, the $1299 A-2000, you'll have a tasty $3,000 package."

#12 of 48 OFFLINE   Ted Kim

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 11:45 PM

Quote:
If it is indeed rated an 85, that seems low to me compared to other reviews of "good" (and "bad") components in that mag. That sure isn't a "glowing" review...

Sure, I have to agree with that [for value]. If he is using the Outlaw 950 as the benchmark for the street price, that would certainly skew value ratings lower. Just keep in mind, that their numerical assessments for performance and value are for each price bracket. For example, if a Krell gets a 99 in performance and a Kenwood gets a 99 in performance, they don't have equal performance. It's just their performance relative to their competitors in that price range.

Anyways, I am more interested in this review from the standpoint of the Outlaw 950 "family". It's the first review I've seen from a reviewer whose ears I would trust (Sound and Vision doesn't do it for me).

#13 of 48 OFFLINE   Ted Kim

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted January 09 2003 - 11:46 PM

Quote:
What has HT Magazine ever given a thumbs down on anything? I haven't picked up the mag in a couple of years so I'm just curious.

Well a few years back, I do remember them giving a low rating to some Bose speakers.

#14 of 48 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 10 2003 - 12:01 AM

Quote:
Anyways, I am more interested in this review from the standpoint of the Outlaw 950 "family". It's the first review I've seen from a reviewer whose ears I would trust (Sound and Vision doesn't do it for me).
There's a review in the latest "The Perfect Vision" of the Outlaw 950. It's very positive, and filled with subjective audiophile gobbledegook.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#15 of 48 OFFLINE   Ted Kim

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted January 10 2003 - 12:08 AM

Quote:
There's a review in the latest "The Perfect Vision" of the Outlaw 950. It's very positive, and filled with subjective audiophile gobbledegook

That's good to know. I'll have to goto the newstand and check it out.

#16 of 48 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 10 2003 - 01:53 AM

Philip, did TPV happen to mention the clones? I just find it hard (but not impossible) to believe that the only difference is the titanium face-plate.

(Is it really titanium... why?).
"Only one is a wanderer;

#17 of 48 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 10 2003 - 03:43 AM

Quote:
Philip, did TPV happen to mention the clones? I just find it hard (but not impossible) to believe that the only difference is the titanium face-plate.
Not that I noticed. And Titanium looks cool.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#18 of 48 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 10 2003 - 04:23 AM

I must admit, I love those fancy-schmancy EAD face-plates (not sure if they're titanium, but they are rather striking). Posted Image
"Only one is a wanderer;

#19 of 48 OFFLINE   Jason Brent

Jason Brent

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted January 10 2003 - 08:29 AM

Has anybody heard the matching A-2000 amp??

#20 of 48 OFFLINE   JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted January 14 2003 - 09:22 AM

I found the review really disappointing actually. First of all, it sounds like the reviewer knows Peter Tribesman from Atlantic Technology personally, and that just gives the whole review a "puff piece" feel to it. I would think that MOST people would know that the P-2000 is a variant of the Outlaw 950 (there is an Outlaw ad only a few pages away!), so it would have been in AT's best interest to point out the differences between the units, instead of pretending that the 950 doesn't exist.

I'm an AT dealer so I'm thrilled to be able to offer the P/A-2000 and I'm sure they are awesome products - every bit as good as the review says. I just wish I knew what the differences were between the 950 and the P-2000 so I could convince customers to go with AT.

Incidentally, I'm not real crazy about the black. It's quite flat and 'lifeless' looking. The titanium look great!

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow