What's new

Atlantic Tech (outlaw 950 clone) prepro review now out (1 Viewer)

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't see anyone posting on this. I just got my copy of Home Theater magazine yesterday and it had a review of the Atlantic Tech prepro. The review is by Steve Guttenberg, who I consider my favorite reviewer who writes for that mag. So keep your eyes peeled for it if you are interested in either the Atlantic Tech or the Outlaw 950.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Doh, I made a typo in the title. Sorry, but you get the picture.

(admin note: fixed typo in thread title)

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Overall, it was a thumbs up. He reviewed it with a B&K amp and the Outlaw 755 amp. The value rating was about an 85, I can't remember exactly. However that is with a list price of $1699. The Outlaw 950 should get a much better value rating since its essentially the same piece but at $899.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ted, did the author even address the obvious question: is it worth it to spend the extra $ for the Atlantic Tech pre-pro (or that other "identical" model) as opposed to the Outlaw 950?

This has been the subject of such controversy, and truly the price difference is too extreme and the two units appear too identical for this issue to not have been addressed. What's the word?

Yogi

Screenwriter
Did they mention anything about how it sounded with the B&K amp vs the Outlaw amp. I am interested in that particular peice of information as I have a B&K amp and would be interested in a prepro upgrade somewhere down the line.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Did they mention anything about how it sounded with the B&K amp vs the Outlaw amp. I am interested in that particular piece of information as I have a B&K amp and would be interested in a prepro upgrade somewhere down the line
There's no indication of any comparisons between the B&K and the Outlaw amps, but I think its highly probable that a follow up review of the [newly released] Outlaw 755 amp would follow and then a comparison made.

He gave kudos to the bass management for 5.1 analog sources (SACD, DVD-audio), though some people have blasted the Outlaw 950 for being too limited in that area. Furthermore, he used a Sim Audio Moon CD player, I think the Eclipse model ($5400), for two channel music comparisons and strict 2 channel preamp only performance. He concludes you want to use the analog bypass mode. Basically, for 2 channel preamplification using a high end source, he notes the treble extension/definition was on the soft side of neutral notes a slight loss of transparency but really does not criticize it in other areas.
[edit: I reread the review to make this section more accurate]

Lastly, he does not bring up any of the HISS issues which plagued the first batch of Outlaw 950's way back in April, May? So that issue should be put to rest.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
Ted, did the author even address the obvious question: is it worth it to spend the extra $ for the Atlantic Tech pre-pro (or that other "identical" model) as opposed to the Outlaw 950?
My girlfriend seems to think that the titanium silver finish is worth the extra $800. Of course, she doesn't actually have to pay for it... Nevertheless, I don't believe that there are any differences in terms of components or performance.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
What has HT Magazine ever given a thumbs down on anything? I haven't picked up the mag in a couple of years so I'm just curious.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If it is indeed rated an 85, that seems low to me compared to other reviews of "good" (and "bad") components in that mag. That sure isn't a "glowing" review...
My copy isn't here yet though! :frowning:

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
OK I've got the review in front of me this time. My memory was a bit off, value is 86 not 85.

Here are the scores:

Build 86
Value 86
Features 92
Performance 92
Ergonomics 82

For HT, he says the "uninhibited dynamics are scarily good"

He wishes the subwoofer level could be set for different levels with DD, PDLII and stereo, because he had to frequently adjust sub output levels when switching modes.

He ends with "The P-2000 is undeniably a great pre/pro. you add the matching 7-channel amplifier, the $1299 A-2000, you'll have a tasty $3,000 package."

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
If it is indeed rated an 85, that seems low to me compared to other reviews of "good" (and "bad") components in that mag. That sure isn't a "glowing" review...
Sure, I have to agree with that [for value]. If he is using the Outlaw 950 as the benchmark for the street price, that would certainly skew value ratings lower. Just keep in mind, that their numerical assessments for performance and value are for each price bracket. For example, if a Krell gets a 99 in performance and a Kenwood gets a 99 in performance, they don't have equal performance. It's just their performance relative to their competitors in that price range.

Anyways, I am more interested in this review from the standpoint of the Outlaw 950 "family". It's the first review I've seen from a reviewer whose ears I would trust (Sound and Vision doesn't do it for me).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Anyways, I am more interested in this review from the standpoint of the Outlaw 950 "family". It's the first review I've seen from a reviewer whose ears I would trust (Sound and Vision doesn't do it for me).
There's a review in the latest "The Perfect Vision" of the Outlaw 950. It's very positive, and filled with subjective audiophile gobbledegook.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Philip, did TPV happen to mention the clones? I just find it hard (but not impossible) to believe that the only difference is the titanium face-plate.

(Is it really titanium... why?).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I must admit, I love those fancy-schmancy EAD face-plates (not sure if they're titanium, but they are rather striking). :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I found the review really disappointing actually. First of all, it sounds like the reviewer knows Peter Tribesman from Atlantic Technology personally, and that just gives the whole review a "puff piece" feel to it. I would think that MOST people would know that the P-2000 is a variant of the Outlaw 950 (there is an Outlaw ad only a few pages away!), so it would have been in AT's best interest to point out the differences between the units, instead of pretending that the 950 doesn't exist.

I'm an AT dealer so I'm thrilled to be able to offer the P/A-2000 and I'm sure they are awesome products - every bit as good as the review says. I just wish I knew what the differences were between the 950 and the P-2000 so I could convince customers to go with AT.

Incidentally, I'm not real crazy about the black. It's quite flat and 'lifeless' looking. The titanium look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks