What's new

"The Shield" Season 2 -- General Discussion for ALL Episodes (1 Viewer)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I'm kinda surprised that a "The Shield" S2 Premiere thread hasn't popped up yet. Perhaps this show isn't as popular as I thought it was?
Last night's episode was fantastic, as is to be expected from this show. Mackey's character development has come a long way from the Series premiere.
One thing I noticed about Tuesday's episode... I only remember there being one commercial break throughout the entire episode, and that was around 40 minutes into the episode (I kept waiting for a commercial break, I really had to use the restroom :)) Anyone else notice this as well?
One thing that has been bothering me lately is the comparisons that this show receives to "NYPD Blue." I've heard many reviews, etc... which state "The Sheild makes NYPD Blue look like ." If referring to "content matter," then yes, the content present in The Shield is far more graphic than that of Blue... but, in my eyes, the two shows are very different. (long explanation, I'll have to explain at some point).
Again, congrats to FX (and to Fox) for bringing us this show...

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting for my season 1 DVD set to arrive, but I've recorded S2 premiere, the show looks brutal, some mexican gang literally burning guys at the steak near downtown LA, damn!
And it's good FX scheduled it after 24, not conflicting with it, otherwise most would just watch 24 instead, or at least it'd hurt both shows as the target audience is the same, I think.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think a lot of viewers are just now catching up to The Shield. It's not unlike The Sopranos, where the first two seasons didn't generate a lot of message traffic here, but by the third season, the threads were some of the most active.
In any case, I noticed the same lack of commercial breaks in the season 2 premiere, but I just figured it was FX's way of compensating us for the endless season 2 promos we've had to endure for the last month. :)
A solid episode and a great opening to the season. It had just the right balance of standalone story and introduction of what will obviously be continuing storylines. That auditor is one spooky individual.
M.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I just got into "The Shield" last week. I was flipping through the channels looking for *anything* to watch and saw the FX advertisement for the S1 marathon. So I had watched the entire first season by Monday and fell in love - by Tuesday I had already gone to the store to buy the DVD collection.
Spoilers Below
I thought "Quick Fix" was awesome. Classic Shield stuff - it doesn't seem that success has gotten to anyone - cast or crew (but its still early). It was very nice to have a specific time reference - only 5 weeks since we last saw Vic (as opposed to weird Soprano's non-time). And 5 weeks seems to be a pretty good spot - we learn Vic's been off his game and that Shayne temporarily moved up. the stuff with Dutch had my interest piqued as always. I had forgotten about the hair clip and I thought it worked really well - but I knew as soon as that little girl came walking down the street what had happened :frowning: :angry: . Not much Danny, but the stuff going on with Julien is also interesting.
I only had two problems with the premire - the fact that I'm so used to 2 new episodes a day, so now I don't know what I'm going to do! And the fact that I probably shouldn't have watched the "on the next The Shield" which, turned out to be "on the first half of season 2 of The Shield" - giving away a few twists (I think its only the first half - Shawn Ryan posted on the FX board that they just filmed Ep. 7 before XMas and were looking forward to the break, so I dont see how FX could have much footage beyond that).
Oh, I remember reading on the FX Website that "Quick Fix" would have "limited interruptions."
JQ

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've stopped watching "next on" promos. They've become like movie trailers, giving away too much. (Fox is a huge offender with 24.) Lucky for me, I was spared The Shield promo for next week, because FX ran the broadcast a minute or two past the hour, and my TiVo cut off.

M.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
and my TiVo cut off.
Yeah, mine too, but when I finished watching The Shield it was only like 11:20 so when I went back to Live TV, there it was. You should be glad you didn't see it, it was just a big montage of clips only a few seconds long, but they definitely said some stuff I would have liked not to have heard.

JQ

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
This is why Tivo is a good thing!

I have DirecTV and the Tivo combo box, and never got to see The Shield during its first run. I got my Tivo about 2 weeks ago and immediately setup The Shield on a Season pass, and was able to watch them whenever I wanted up until the season 2 opening. I actually waited about 30 minutes into the opening so that I could skip past the commercials, which I guess FX wanted to cut down on for some reason as there were only 2 breaks that I can remember.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I love this show. I have been watching it since the first episode. Heck I can remember when the show was going to be called "rampart" but it changed to the "the shield"......

I can't wait for week 2's episode....I have a feeling with the way vic hates child molesters/killers this dude is in for a rude awakening......and judging from next weeks promo..this dude is going to pay........ Did I forget to say I love this show....

I don't like the fact that they give to much stuff away in the previews either.

Love this show
R~

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I caught on to the show about halfway through last season, it's an excellent show.

Is this season also planned for 13 episodes?

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
The show is really very entertaining. Tuesday's episode was very entertaining and I was pleased to not have a commercial break until about 40 minutes in.

I still am not sure how they were able to get back to LA from Mexico without having the car searched...

Chiklis is very good in the role of Vic. I understand after listening to the commentary on the first episode of the season 1 set that Chiklis was working on his own rogue cop script when he got a copy of Shawn Ryan's script.

I am personally very pleased at how the programming on basic cable is starting to evolve. Shows like Monk, The Dead Zone, and The Shield are starting to bring good dramatic programming to these channels.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I looked all over the place about this too but oculdn't find a word. But I think 13 is the magic number again.
Thanks guys. 13 eps is the only bad thing about The Shield...But I'll take what I can get!

Just as an aside, I don't know if this is true or not but a co-worker told me today that he read FX is having difficulty finding advertisers for The Shields time slot due to the content of the show. He didn't remember where he read this (naturally) but I know there was some controversy over the show last season. This could explain the limited commercials for the season premier.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Several advertisers pulled out last year before the show became a hit. But since the success and the Emmy win, I doubt there's been any problem finding advertisers, and I haven't read anything to indicate that it's currently a problem.

M.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Tonights episode was, IMO, a grand slam. Everything about it was on point and kept me glued to my seat. If I listed everything good about this episode I'd just end up with a summary of it...it was just too well done for words.
Two weeks ago I had never seen an episode of the Shield - now I'm more than comfortable saying it is the best show on TV right now.
JQ

Gary King

Second Unit
I just checked the schedule on FX's website -- it looks like every new episode presentation (and the encore presentation 1 hour later) has "limited breaks," through the entire first half of the season. The Sunday repeat isn't listed as having limited breaks, though.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Can someone please tell me if they have seen a commercial for the first episiode rebroadcast? What time/day if possible?

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Usually fx will re-run the episode back to back. Then they will replay it on sunday, depending on where you live, check the time. In california for non-dish owners it is 2200hrs. If you have dish it is 1900hrs.

Hope this helps.....

Rhett..

P.S. Did anybody see episode 2 WOW...I have a feeling this dude is going to hurt somebody from the PD in the next couple of episodes......what do you guys think.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks