What's new

Elvis 30 #1 Hits "only" sold 15.000 copies! (1 Viewer)

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
I think that's pretty good!
Think about this : September 24 they release the cd version - and people did not now anything about a DVD Audio version at that time! Are we talking 100.000 sold? 1.000.000 sold?
No less than 2½ month later we saw DVD Audio version and have within 1 month sold 15.000 copies! :) I think that's pretty good!
And it's nice to see BMG release more DVD Audio titles - for Elvis fans out there (I have heard there will be more Elvis in DVD Audio!)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Jesper,

Those numbers make a lot more sense than the other reports by certain individuals.

That's not bad considering there has been literally zero publicity.

Heck the Stones discs only averaged about 50K copies each, with a massive advertising campaign and with the vast majority of purchasers not purchasing them for high-res playback.

Very promising indeed.

Regards,

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
If 15,000 copies of the "Elvis 30 #1 Hits" DVD-A are sold, that means there are only about 10,000 copies left. Didn't I read somewhere that only 25,000 copies were pressed?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny,

I have read that just 25,000 copies of the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc were pressed.

John,

I agree with you. The Stones remasters have been promoted much more heavily than the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc. Actually, the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc has not been promoted.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
That number seems a bit higher then the 600 sold posted by another member here :rolleyes. Contrary to popular rumor, it looks like DVD-A is alive and well.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I guess a good qestion to ask is outside of the Stones, which were marketed as CD remasters, which other DVD-A or SACD discs have approached this level of sales? I know Fleetwood Mac Rumors has sold well on the DVD-A side, but I have heard nothing about other DVD-A or SACD titles selling near 15k copies.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin, I wonder the same thing. I never hear sales figures for SACDs and DVD-Audio discs.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc has not been promoted.
That is a very good point Keith. It sold 15,000 copies with zero marketing push. It wasn't advertised as a new release at the big retailers when it came out a few weeks back, and I have yet to see advertised. If people did not frequent Internet forums such as this, or Hi-res new sites, the only way I could see them stumbling onto this disc was through browsing the Hi-res sections in their local stores, which from my experiences not many do.

This may turn out to be the number one selling non-hybrid Hi-res release, but even then it still should be viewed as a missed opportunity. It could have been so much more if you put any weight to the number of sales with zero advertisment.

J

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
For those who have the Elvis DVD-A, what's the quality like?
Is it a mixture of mono and stereo songs?

Thanks!

Joe

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Heck the Stones discs only averaged about 50K copies each, with a massive advertising campaign and with the vast majority of purchasers not purchasing them for high-res playback.
Yeah, but those purchasers got "value add" by future proofing those purchases. If they do buy SACD players, they don't need to re-purchase the software again!

Since you can't discern how many of the Stones purchases were for SACD vs. just Redbook playback, you can't imply that very few of those purchases were for SACD vs. redbook.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
For those who have the Elvis DVD-A, what's the quality like?
Is it a mixture of mono and stereo songs?
The quality is REALLY good - I have some Elvis from DCC and this DVD Audio release is showing how Elvis good he can sing :)
:star: If you ever get the chance, check out Suspicious Mind and you know what I am talking about ;) :star:
All tracks are 24/96 stereo and 24/96 5.1. BMG has done a great job about 5.1 :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

I agree with Jesper that the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc is great. We are talking about old recordings, so I would not rate this disc as "reference disc", but it is quite good. I do not have any of the much-revered Elvis DCC gold CDs for comparison. I do have the Elv1s CD, and the stereo DVD-Audio track is far better.

Justin,

I was in Bert's Compact Discs in Wilmington (Concord Pike near Overture) last week, and they did not have the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc. They always have a handful of DVD-Audio discs. I asked Bert if had gotten in the Elv1s DVD-Audio disc, and he said he didn't know it was out. This is not criticism of Bert in any way. I'm just not surprised, though, since the disc has not been promoted.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Since you can't discern how many of the Stones purchases were for SACD vs. just Redbook playback, you can't imply that very few of those purchases were for SACD vs. redbook.
Brian have you actually purchased or seen any of the Stones discs? I am asking you this because if you did, you would know there was zero mention of the SACD layer on the outside of the package. In the sales papers the week of their releases, they were being sold as CD remasters. Trust me it is a very very safe assumption that these discs sold based on their redbook layers. 50k titles sold per title is a nice amount, but when you figure how many CD players are out there compared to DVD-A players, those numbers have to be a bit disappointing when a DVD-A title like Elvis sold 15k copies.

J

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Justin, yes, I have purchased some of the Stones discs.
But Sony has been plugging them in their SACD player ads. And you seem to forget the internet is a wealth of information. Do you think only a few hundered people who own SACDs are on the internet? Everyone and their mothers on the 'net knew about the Stones and SACD.
Same goes for Elvis, it wasn't publicized, but that doesn't mean people didn't know about them.
Do I think 50,000 sold discs = 50,000 SACD player owners? Certainly not. But you and John Kotches are critical of Lee when ever he posts something about sales and SACD. John even takes a dig at Lee in his post above but neither you or John are providing any substantial proof of accurate "sell through" figures (sell in and sell through are completely different).
I'm not trying to start a flame war, but you and Kotches are always ultra-critical of Lee, yet when either of you do the same thing (in this case, debating sales numbers), we're all supposed to turn a blind eye. Face it, no one on this board (unless it's a record executive or big retailer of SACD/DVD-A) has ACCURATE sales figures for any DVD-A or SACD title, so you can't assume that no SACD has crossed the 15k mark or even a much higher benchmark. To simply turn your cheek and think no SACD title has sold incredibly well without actual sales figures is ignorant.
Additionally, unless I'm going blind, I can't find anything other than press releases saying Elvis was the #1 DVD-A release (but no actual sales figures). So I'm curious where Jesper is getting his info.
I think we're all aware of Lee and his being on the SACD bandwagon, while you and Kotches always have to interject with DVD-A. It's clear which "camps" you're all in. But most of us just want good music and don't care which format it appears on.

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Jesper, are you sure there are Stereo tracks as well as 5.1 tracks?
The only reason I ask is that I SAW this disc while browsing the hi-res formats sections in 2 different stores near me. The outside had nothing about stereo tracks (and all DVD-A titles I have so far take pains to mention the "advanced resolution" stereo AND 5.1 tracks). I really wanted the King on DVD-A, but even after having the clerk at CDWorld open it up for me, there was no mention of the stereo tracks :frowning:
So I passed. My mains are FAR better than my surrounds, which results in 5.1 tracks sounding not as good as stereo. Hopefully one day I'll be able to afford some good surrounds, hehe. But until then, stereo is very much alive in my system :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
BOTH said:
I take offense to this statement. I own both DVD-A and SACD players and own about an equal amount of discs in both formats. Certain titles make sense to me in one format or another. From your posts I could easily infer you are in the SACD "camp" but I won't post invalid conclusions such as yourself.
J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Brain let me lead you to the earlier thread on Elvis DVD-A sales.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=elvis
Please show where I was ultra critical or pro DVD-A in this thread, and while you are at it please show me some of these other threads you mention where I refute sales numbers of SACD or DVD-A posted by Lee or anyone else for that matter.
Send me a PM or e-mail if you find anything. This is the final thing I will post regarding your so called issues and observations about myself. I am not going to get into a verbal battle on a public forum with someone obviously trolling for an argument, but will gladly address any issues you have with me privately.
J

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Jesper, are you sure there are Stereo tracks as well as 5.1 tracks?
I am 100% sure!:emoji_thumbsup:
Group 1 : 5.1 (default)
Group 2 : 2 channel
Group 3 : Bonus
Group 4 : Dolby Digital
Ron I have no problem at all with 5.1 sound; I have B&W Nautilus series for my system. So if you have the chance to upgrade you surroundspeakers, subwoofer etc. - You have my vote for it! :D
Please understand what's more important - make sure you speaker placement are correct! Of course delay time too...
Ok?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Everyone and their mothers on the 'net knew about the Stones and SACD.
Only a small percentage of people who use the net frequent forums related to audio and video... and more specifically - an even smaller percentage visit audiophile sites.

I've got friends, family and co-workers who practically live on the internet who had no idea of the Stones remasters and their SACD layer, much less know what SACD is.

It's a very big world - even on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks