Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ENTERPRISE 1/08/'03: "Dawn"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 08:04 AM

John Co wrote:

Quote:
A new episode tomorrow might, Wed. 1/8. Then no new episodes until Feb. What's up with that?

They're saving them for sweeps month, I suppose. Usually, all of January is a re-run desert.

I hate to be negative in advance, but . . . aw, hell, it's easy. It all sounds too familiar:

Quote:
During a solo test mission on Shuttlepod One, Trip is attacked by a territorial alien and forced to land on the night side of a moon. As he tries contacting Enterprise, he discovers his alien foe has made an emergency landing nearby. The two contend with each other as an extremely hot sun rises and threatens both their lives.

Time to review our Enemy Mine discs, is it? (Odds on whether they "kiss and make up" at the end, anyone?)

John Shiban is the writer of credit; Roxanne Dawson the director.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#2 of 43 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 08:16 AM

Roxanne directs, eh?

This sounds like a really, really original idea, I must say. Can't wait. I'm going to plan my whole day around this episode. Thanks, Rex.

#3 of 43 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 08:18 AM

Well Tripp's my fav char, (so much like MCCoy), so it may not be all bad.

#4 of 43 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 08:20 AM

Well, Shiban did do pretty well with the minefield one. I haven't been too impressed with Mrs. Dawson, though; she directed the one directly after, which was just missing something - it wasn't creepy enough. Although I guess that fits in with the B&B-era way of being bland because being exciting might make someone uncomfortable.

(Idly notes that most of the visually distinctive and interesting shows on TV have a director among their producers, and Enterprise sure as heck doesn't).
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 43 OFFLINE   Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 08:21 AM

Posted Image What a great show!Posted Image
Heads I win, tails you lose.

#6 of 43 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 08:36 AM

Jason Seaver wrote:

Quote:
. . . it wasn't creepy enough. Although I guess that fits in with the B&B-era way of being bland because being exciting might make someone uncomfortable. (emphasis added)

?????

Have you never seen early TNG?
"Delenda est . . . . "

#7 of 43 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 08:40 AM

But, Rex, there were some gems in those first two seasons. "Conspiracy" ... "The Measure of a Man" ... "We'll Always Have Paris" (well, I like that episode) ... and some others.

#8 of 43 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 09:17 AM

And, y'know, that early TNG may have been bland character-wise, but it's when they pulled out their more interesting science-fictional ideas. I doubt the current group has a crystalline entity or early Borg (back when they were badass, an intelligent cancer on a galactic scale - hell, back when the Borg was an it rather than a they) in them.

I mean, as goofy as some of the first couple years of TNG was, the producers were at least trying to excite the audience. Roddenberry, the Strangis-es, Tracy Tormé, Melinda Snodgrass, etc., didn't have the completely conservative, don't-rock-the-boat attitude B&B have exemplified the past few years.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#9 of 43 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 04:06 PM

My opinion on the episode "Dawn"?

They should have renamed it "Yawn"! Posted Image

#10 of 43 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 06:01 PM

Canada is officially HTF's early-warning Enterprise system.

And in some ways, even the goofiest early-season TNGs have a way of endearing themselves to (some) viewers. Then, again, one can say the same thing about third-season TOS. It's all a matter of perspective.

Still, I don't see how much of the post-DS9 offerings are going to be remembered with similar fondness.

#11 of 43 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 06:42 PM

Jason Seaver wrote:

Quote:
And, y'know, that early TNG may have been bland character-wise, but it's when they pulled out their more interesting science-fictional ideas. I doubt the current group has a crystalline entity or early Borg (back when they were badass, an intelligent cancer on a galactic scale - hell, back when the Borg was an it rather than a they) in them.

I mean, as goofy as some of the first couple years of TNG was, the producers . . . [and] didn't have the completely conservative, don't-rock-the-boat attitude B&B have exemplified the past few years.

Well, have it your way, but, for my money, "Identity Crisis", "Schisms", "Genesis", "Power Play", "Cause and Effect", "Frame of Mind", "Timescape", "Parallels" (all written or co-written by Braga), and---not by Brannon Braga, but nevertheless produced under Rick Berman---"Masks" and "Night Terrors"---I liked it although nobody else, including the producers or actors, seems to have; the science of dreams is always fascinating to me---are all among the "creepiest" or most "far-out" Star Trek episodes ever produced. When else will we see another "monster" episode in Star Trek???

Jack Briggs wrote:

Quote:
But, . . . there were some gems in those first two seasons. "Conspiracy" . . .

Indeed, "Conspiracy" is almost the lone exception that proves the rule for Season One. As I remember, there was supposed to have been some negative fan reaction to the effect that the episode was "too violent for Star Trek". Most of the rest in that first season, however, was bland, bland, bland (which is not necessarily to say uninteresting).
"Delenda est . . . . "

#12 of 43 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 08:49 AM

I remember the controversy about that episode being "too violent" and gruesome. Man, was it ever good.

#13 of 43 OFFLINE   Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 09:14 AM

I'm starting to feel like Wile E Coyote. What is it that compels me to watch this show week after week? Is it some form of macabre curiosity or do I feel violent ill will towards myself for some reason?
To sum up, not a very good episode. It's one which sets out to do nothing new and succeeds.

#14 of 43 OFFLINE   BradG

BradG

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 09:26 AM

I enjoyed the episode...however, I will say that it was VERY similar to the TNG episode "Darmok". But then, I enjoyed that episode as well, so it makes sense that I would like "Dawn".

A good episode does not need to have elaborate space battles to be interesting.

#15 of 43 OFFLINE   Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
A good episode does not need to have elaborate space battles to be interesting.

I agree, as Voyager proved with many elaborate space battles in terrible episodes. The thing with "Darmok" was that it presented a really original linguistic concept, which is why I enjoyed it. It also had Picard learning something about that alien culture through its expression of language. This one
just had a green guy barking stuff at Trip, culminating in the ending, where the aliens still don't like our heroes, and Trip is thanked by an Alien who's only happy he didn't kill him because he was around to save the alien's life.

#16 of 43 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 12:06 PM

Won't be seeing it tonight, Maryland is playing so it got preempted.

Jason

#17 of 43 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 12:22 PM

You know, I came to this thread to comment that it seemed like an Enemy Mine rip. Guess other people noticed too Posted Image

#18 of 43 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 01:33 PM

We've been Trek fans since forever, but tonight, my wife and I passed it up for Ed after the first 5 minutes of Enterprise. It's also officially off of our recording schedule.

Our SciFi of choice is now Stargate SG1, now that my sister in law gets SciFi Channel.

#19 of 43 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 03:12 PM

Mark Turetsky wrote:

Quote:
The thing with "Darmok" was that it presented a really original linguistic concept, which is why I enjoyed it. It also had Picard learning something about that alien culture through its expression of language.

Not original! The premise of "Darmok" was based on a distorted version of the (mostly discredited) Sapir-Whorf hypothesis and well established (quasi-)Darwinian evolutionist bias.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#20 of 43 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 03:33 PM

I think we can look at the bottom line Posted Image Darmok was neither as blatantly ripped, nor horrendously bad, unlike tonight's Enterprise. In fact, Darmock is superb

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow