What's new

Wheel of Time #10 released today (1 Viewer)

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
For those gluttons for punishment like me, Robert Jordan has released book 10 in his ongoing saga. I have enjoyed them all for the most part but like many others, I am really hoping he starts down the back stretch with this one. I AM really looking forward to it though. I picked it up during lunch and am really looking forward to teaing into it this evening. Any one else?

Mike

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Count me in. I'll probably pull an overnighter this weekend and gobble it down in one stretch. I'm a big fan of the series, and have even named my home network after the Forsaken, with each computer being named after one of the Chosen, and my 2 terabyte server being the True Source.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
I'll probably be picking it up sometime within the next week. Unlike some others the only book I really felt dragged was Path of Daggers the 8th one. Still it'd be nice if the series started to come to a conclusion.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Just finished re-reading through the series again to prepair for this book. Can't wait to start it. So any bets on how many more books to go before he finishes? I'm thinking 5 more.

Dean

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm dying to read it (have been hooked since I read
The Eye of the World and The Great Hunt my sophomore year of college -- 10 years ago!!!), but I have to wait until I finish my January term class in two weeks. I'm so tempted to pick it up this weekend and read it in one sitting, but I just can't spare the time.

I love these books, despite the fact that Jordan's style sometimes grates on me. Still, I wish he'd finish this crazy thing. I love the level of detail in all of the plotlines, but enough is enough!

That said, I know myself well enough to know that if the thing runs to 30 books, I'll buy and read every last one of them. I'm such a sucker.

ben hunt

Stunt Coordinator
I havent read them for years and I don't know which one was the last I read. I think Path of daggers but now I've got no idea. :frowning:

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
A few things:
First, for those who don't know, there is a Usenet group dedicated to the books:
rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan
The regulars there have produced a fantastic FAQ for the series:
http://linuxmafia.com/jordan/
A nice (though not always up to date) index of online WoT stuff is here:
http://www.ece.umd.edu/~dilli/WOT/WOTindex/
I've started on CoT, and while the writing is good, I'm disheartened that the prologue itself is nearly 100 pages. RJ needs to learn how to edit!!

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
Mine just came from Amazon today!

I've read the prologue and first chapter already (both were posted online or on ebook) so I should be able to dive into it tonight. Can't wait!

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I'm going to Barnes & Noble after dinner tonight to pick it up. I also wish Jordan would advance the story at a faster pace. But I'm so far into it now, spread over so many years, I need to keep with the story.
My hopeful guess is a total of twelve books.
Some other websites:
Wheel of Time Game (very good first person shooter): www.wheeloftime.com
Here is a good forum for advid fans.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I've read several times (one of which was an interview with him after Winter's Heart came out) that he plans to finish it in "around" 13 books. Whatever that means...

That said, I love the books and can't wait to get the new one.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Never a fan of Wheel of Time, but what I _DO_ know is that David Gerrold is contractually obligated to deliever The War Against The Chtorr book 5: A Method For Madness in 6 weeks, first new one since 1994 where he left us on an evil cliffhanger

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I'll pick it up in softcover when it's released next year... I've read the first 7 books in the series, but I'm tired of going back and re-reading the entire series everytime a new book comes out. I'll just wait for the series to be finished before starting again ;)
The same goes for George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series and a few others (Kate Elliott, Janny Wurts and Steven Erikson).

Danny R

Supporting Actor
AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I just found out that Robert Jordan hasn't been spending the time since finishing Crossroads of Twilight on the next book in the series, what will be #11. Instead, he has been fleshing out his short story "New Spring" into a full novel.

Jordan writes:
I do want to emphasize that this is not an expansion in the way that Scott Card's ENDER'S GAME was. The story will begin some months earlier, there are more plot lines (putting in things I had to drop to make the novella length) and more detail. In short, it will be the story the way I wanted to tell it in the beginning, before I realized that that would mean seventy-thousand words, give or take.
Actually it turns out the book is some 120K words, or about 250 pages. Its finished and is now due out in January 2004.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'll have to do some checking, but is "New Spring" a WoT story? I get that it isn't part of the main series, but if it is connected to the world in a significant way the completist in me will probably pick it up.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Yup. New Spring is a short story that first appeared in the Legends collection. Its basically the early story of how Moiraine and Lan get together.
From America's premier fantasy writer---#1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Crossroads of Twilight---comes an expanded version of his novella "New Spring," first published in the Legends collection.
For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the Royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power. "New Spring" related some of these events, in compressed form; New Spring: The Novel tells the whole story.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The War Against The Chtorr book 5: A Method For Madness
Thanks for the update, I've been keeping an eye out for this. Looking forward to it.

I read a bunch of wheel of time (up to book 6 or 7 I think). Honestly I find his writing somewhat aggravating and meandering, but I want to see how the story ends. I've been slowly collecting each volume in Hardcover when they hit the discount rack for $5ish.
What I'm waiting for eagerly is my signed copy of R.A. Salvatore's new Dark elf book, The Lone Drow, to arrive in the mail. It's been in the mail since the 29th, ick!!

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
Found this from a long time ago and thought I would mention that Robert Jordan passed away about 2 weeks ago after a long illness. He did however write extensive notes on how the last book (that he was working on when he died) should be finished. His wife who is also his editor will be completing it. It is a damn shame that the man could not see this thing to a close after he spent so much of his life on it. Sometimes life ain't fair, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks