Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Tomahawk: 8 liter 500 hp motorcycle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#21 of 32 Sanjay Joseph

Sanjay Joseph

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 02:58 PM

Definitely give the big ups to Dodge for having the balls to make the bike. It's definitely hot stuff, but a decoration piece. I'm personally a Ducati nut myself. I've owned 3 in the past few years, but none now. Putting my money in smarter investments.

#22 of 32 Cary_H

Cary_H

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 08:26 PM

The Tomahawk is merely a concept vehicle.

As for real-world motorcycle speeds. A number have cracked the 300 mph mark.
Pro Stock drag bikes are running in the 7's and nearing 200 mph in the 1/4 mile.
MotoGP bikes (motorcycle racing's answer to the F1 cars) have been clocked over 200 mph in races. These are bikes limited to use of engines with no more than 1000 cc displacement that must weigh in no less than 145 kg. Currently, GP bikes make in the neighbourhood of 250ish HP.

For comparisons sake, you can pop down to your neighbourhood bike dealer's showroom and get yourself a 150 hp, 170 kg rice rocket that'll run a 1/4 mile in the low 10s,(140ish mph) and do 180+ mph. 0-100 and back to 0 in single digit times....for less than $10K.

#23 of 32 RobR

RobR

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 09:34 PM

Quote:
that isn't a motorcycle

You're right. It's a murdercycle.

The website seems to say it's able to steer. What happens when you lean to the side? Do you ride on 2 of the 4 wheels when leaning, assuming they have differential?

#24 of 32 CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 05:39 AM

When I first read about it a while ago, I think the wheels slide against each other and you stay on all four. Neat idea.

C. Ryan

#25 of 32 Sanjay Joseph

Sanjay Joseph

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 06:17 AM

While it's not suitable in daily conditions, it's definitely an awesome application. The wheels do slide up and down so that all wheels can stay on the ground for turning. I've seen quite a few videos of the bike in different TV programs, but I've never really seen one make a turn. Imagine having to make a U Turn on a small two lane road on that bike.

Another cool idea being toyed with in the motorcycle industry is the concept of two wheel drive in bikes. I believe Yamaha has a dirtbike in two wheel drive. They're trying it on street bikes, but they're having problems in weight transfer.

#26 of 32 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 06:58 AM

The ZX-12R is capable of a 9.92 sec. 1/4 mile stock.

My 9r is capable of a 10.16 in the 1/4, but not with me on it, I dont do straight lines only twisties & road courses (those are on my GSXR600 though).

I am surprised that none of ya'll have mentioned
the ZX-10R yet, it will do a true 183mph with
anywhere from 155-165h.p., depending on what magazine
you look at.

The new 600's can all do 150mph+.

I find it difficult to keep it under 100 on open roads,
anything less feels painfully slow.
Never had the oportunity to get it over 185 (indicated)
which is probably actually closer to a true 165 or so as bike speedo's are ALL optomistic by ~6-8 percent.

#27 of 32 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 03:15 AM

More than that, Cam — and the speedos get less accurate the faster one goes. It's a psychological ploy on the OEMs' part.

#28 of 32 JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,769 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 05:00 AM

Personally, I would rather have a....
Posted Image

#29 of 32 Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
More than that, Cam — and the speedos get less accurate the faster one goes. It's a psychological ploy on the OEMs' part.

Yes and no.
the aprilia picks up it's speed signal from the rear rotor carrier bolts, it's spot on throughout the range.
My miata is about 5mph fast above 40, so cars do it too. I had my R1 to 175 indicated a few times and there's no way I was much above 160, I've had the aprilia to 155ish and it wanted to rip my head off Posted Image

#30 of 32 Cary_H

Cary_H

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 02:32 PM

Great to see there's some other bike folks here.

I've yet to see what the top end of my 1K Gixxer is. (aren't they all limited to 185 anyway??)
Let's just say a couple of bodyparts are of insufficient size.It took a fair bit of time to get a handle on the adrenaline rush I get from grabbing a fair chunk of throttle. Sensory overload shuts down the brain.

10R? I have spent some time on my buddy's. It doesn't make a real charge as early on as my Gixxer, but it comes on like gangbusters from around 7000 rpm. At speed, I'd rather be on my gixxer than his zixxer. The two are pretty much the same thing, only different.

#31 of 32 Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 04:24 PM

Quote:
(aren't they all limited to 185 anyway??)

Never heard of a TRE, huh...lol

Quote:
The two are pretty much the same thing, only different.

I love it.......Posted Image

#32 of 32 Marque D

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted June 01 2004 - 04:17 AM

Saw that someone mention a Pro Stock motorcycle, so I'll point out the pinnacle of motorcycle drag racing. AMA Prostar Top Fuel class, Larry 'Spiderman' McBride has ran a 5.876 at 244 mph.

Posted Image
Posted Image

What happen with Neiman Marcus having this 4 wheeler in their Christmas catalog. Somebody has to have one or was the price to steep.

Quote:
Neiman Marcus invites you to own the Dodge Tomahawk, a hand-built reproduction of the widely acclaimed concept vehicle unveiled by DaimlerChrysler at the 2003 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. This piece of automotive sculpture was commissioned by DaimlerChrysler and fabricated by the original builders. The single passenger Tomahawk is sculpted of aluminum around a 505 cubic inch, V-10 Dodge Viper engine. The Tomahawk is a concept only; it is not a fully operational vehicle and cannot be legally operated on public roads. It's a collector's display piece, a true gem with cutting edge design and Art Deco-inspired style. ($555,000, page 61)

I guess they dont give you a set of keys after you buy it. Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow