What's new

The wife has spoken!!! (1 Viewer)

Andy Sz

Grip
I bought the JBL SCS150si setup this past weekend and I love it. Problem is that the wife HATES the sub. In fact, she doesn’t want a sub AT ALL!

So here’s my dilemma: in order to satisfy her I need to find a 5 speaker setup in the $300-400 range that has these characteristics:

1. must be in that budget
2. must be small- her definition of small is “bose cube” small. The JBL scs150 sats were acceptable. The JBL NSP1 were not (mostly because of the size of the center channel).
3. Must have enough bass capability to survive without a sub.

Is this possible? Am I fighting a hopeless battle?
THANKS for the help!

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Perhaps you need one of those stealth subs that gets mounted in the floor and has what appears to be a heat register to vent the bass in the room.

Stereodude

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
What about hiding the sub behind some furniture? Since low bass sounds are fairly non-directional as far as the human ear is concerned, you can place the sub out of the way and still get to experience some bass. It may not be the best place for it but it'll be better than nothing. And yes, you'll need some kind of subwoofer with tiny satellite/cube type speakers.

cheers,

--tom

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I agree with Dan.
I just looked up that model.....if she wont let you get away with that "micro" system then you're SOL.
Do you own or rent your place? I would recommend getting your OWN room to pursue this hobby any further.
I also agree with Thomas, If you arent looking you wont find my sub =) I have it placed underneath an end-table.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Perhaps adjust your bass to be less "boomy". That helped my wife. Since then I have been able to sneak in a larger sub as she has had time to "adjust" :D :D :D

Andy Sz

Grip
Her first problem was that the sub is so big. So I explained that I would get a longer sub cable and then put the sub behind the couch. So then I put on the Matrix (the "Dodge This" scene) and cranked it up. She didn't like the "boom" of it and asked if we could get new speakers without the sub.
At that point we got into a bru-ha-ha and didn't talk for a day or so. Since then I've turned down the bass. She really hasn't reacted to it. I'll let it sink in for a little while and then ask her what she thinks.
WIFE + MY HOBBIES = AAAAARRRRCGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!:angry:

Hal_J

Agent
sounds like the subwoofer is the least of your problems...
i'd upgrade the wife. it'll cost you half your assets, but i think it's clear that she'll let you keep the sub!
just kidding. this is an emotional thing. you need to do a few things. first, make sure your system is properly calibrated. you might have an annoying booming bass. second, watch a bunch of movies she wants to watch and turn the bass down for a while. then *gradually* ratchet it up.
people who say 'the home theater is too ________' always are placated by one of two things. proper calibration (because they have a legitimate technical gripe) or time, which allows them to get used to it.
or have some children, that will distract her, and the subwoofer will seem peaceful and calming. :D
good luck!

Andy Sz

Grip
GREAT idea Hal.....the gradual upping of the sub, NOT the kids! ;)
Actually, all of you have some great ideas. I'll work on her and keep you all posted. Thanks!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Problem is that the wife HATES the sub. In fact, she doesn’t want a sub AT ALL!
I think it's time to decide whether you need a wife AT ALL!
Why are a large majority of women like this? They nag about the looks of HT gear, they nag about the prices, yada, yada, yada. However, if they're out shopping and they see a sweater for $150.00 - they buy it and they really don't care what anyone else might think. Sure, they'll ask you for your opinion once the sweater is already home. And, God forbid, you ever say anything bad (even though it might be the truth.)
Finally, what about the hundreds of dollars that women spend on cosmetics? Do we criticize those purchases? No! - because we know better.
Now, getting back to the sub & speakers. You could take the suggestion about putting a "stealth" sub into the wall. Speco makes one that handles about 150 watts and might be the sub for you. In regards to buying Bose "cubes" - no comment. Have you considered the Mirage Omni speakers? $250 - each, but they might get beyond the WAF factor.
Mirage OmniSat Speakers
Oh, and for my final comment, your wife should be happy that you've taken up a hobby that you can enjoy within your home. You're not out getting drunk and chasing other women - you're only trying to have a little enjoyment within your home with some nice home theater gear.

Martin Jiang

Agent
I bought a HSU VTF-2 and disguise it as an end table by puting a nice looking plate on the top. Wife did not complain, maybe that's the solution

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Most of the time, a woman doesn't really know how to express her true feelings...let me not be a chauvinist... most of us dont know how to express our true feelings because they're deep down inside and twisted anyway, so we misplace all that crap we feel. This is what I think her message is: you don't spend enough quality time with me and now you spend more time with that &*^%$# HT system, and that sub is not going to replace me since she needs so much *%$#@^ tweaking. Now we all know what that means in the midnight hour- so follow all the low bass, slow turn up, girl flick advice given, spend the true quality/talking time with her (this as my wife has explained to me is often a woman's definition of foreplay- I don't get it but somehow it works for me when I can explain to my sub that I can't tweak her that evening). Mmmmmmm. Sometimes the choice ain't easy, though ;)
P.S. No one better email me about this statement- we share the account :D

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I wanted an SVS. My wife wanted to keep bees. I hate bugs of any kind. I sugested if she gets the bee boxes, I get the sub. I got the sub, we checked with the county, and the bee boxes are not allowed in our area. I think it worked out well.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dennis,
AHAHA!!
Everyone, this thread is great... Hillarious infact!
Ohhh thank god I am single, thank god if I want a sub the
size of K-19 in my room I can do it.. Thank god if I want
8' tall speakers I can have them....
Lord you have blessed me....
I say buy her a shiny diamond and tell her your keeping the
sub... If she don't like it.. well hey you can sleep in
another room for a while... No big deal :)

Hal_J

Agent
something i should have thought of earlier...

give her a glass of wine. have her sit on the sub. play some nice low frequency test tones... nature will do the rest.

of course, she wont need *you* anymore! :-D

Sonnyc

Grip
Get her a $1,000 Louis Vuitton purse and put it on the sub and complement how the sub black matte really make the purse stand out.

She'll like it.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Oh, let me vent some more...
In my family, 90% of our income comes from me. However, I share everything - or, I should just say that my money gets direct deposited and my wife maintains the checkbook.
My wife gets home today after being away for a week. She looks into our living room and says: "Oh, our curtains that were custom made 11 years ago are looking bad. For all the new furniture that we have in our living room, we are going to need new curtains." This got under my skin a little. Then, she pulls out the TJ Maxx bags and proceeds to show me the salad plates and other things that she purchased. If I'm not the least bit excited about this stuff, I get mean stares.
Yesterday, I purchased a new HP laptop to be used by my daughter and myself. It was actually a bargain: $549 after rebates. I didn't use any of "our" money to buy it, but used "my" money that "I" saved up from lunch money that I didn't spend. She tried to lay a guilt trip on me because I owned a laptop before and didn't use it because I had two other PCs in the house at the time along with a PC at work. However, now I'm down to only 1 PC at home in addition to this laptop.
I think women need to chill out. They have way too much power over most of the men in this society.
And, Brett, consider yourself very lucky! Stay single & have fun. ;) - If you want women to be in your life, have them on your terms and live the life of a "man-whore."

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Hey, do this:
Take the sub and put it in the trunk of your car or in your garage or basement, just so the wife doesn't see it anywhere. Then de-calibrate your system so there is a lot of screeching midrange and distortion. Then ask your wife to watch a movie. Turn it up nice and loud. ;)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I am in the same boat with Brett. I too am single so no WAF. However, when/if I do meet someone they will already know about my bad HT habit & will have to accept it.
When I do have a woman over, almost all of them are impressed with the size of my......... speakers ;)
What pisses me off is that my last GF hated my habit, and now she calls me for advice on "What to buy" for a HT setup. I advised her she can't go wrong with BOSE. :laugh: (just kidding btw, I steered her in the right direction)
But telling this man to get a divorce is just wrong. You need to negotiate with this woman & make her understand you have "wants & needs" too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks