Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Will a power conditioner help?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   ericLee

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 05 2003 - 06:25 AM

My system consists of a set of dahlquist speakers all around and a svs pci 25-31
the amp is a marantz sr6200
dvd player is a harman kardon dvd-25
I'm using quality cables for everything.
But for some reason when i watch movies at high/refrence level it sound very harsh and i have to always put it down 15db. At this level the sound is very undynamic but is sounds much smmother. The speakers are all over 90 efficency so the amp should have no problem running them at refrence
(94 mains, 93 center, 90 rears) I have everything calibrated right and selcted all small for the speaker settings. The only thing that i see as the problem is the power supply. I suspect this is the problem because I have noticed that whenever someone is vacuming snow pops up on the tv and one time i was using a high current stereo amp on the same plug and the lights dimmed and flickered occasionaly. What kind of conditioner would help? I was looking at the monster power hts series maybe the hts2500/2600/3500 would this type solve the problem or would something better?
Or could it be the marantz?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   RussKon

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted January 05 2003 - 07:51 AM

a power conditioner like the ones you mentioned can only remove line noise....it cannot increase your power....

the harshness that you are hearing sounds like distortion to me....maybe your marantz amplifier cannot handle the volume you are asking it to provide....

russ

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted January 05 2003 - 08:06 AM

sounds reasonable to me. what happens if you just run the front three?

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted January 05 2003 - 12:05 PM

You watch movies at reference levels? I bet your neighbors LOVE you.
"Part of intelligence is knowing someone elses version of reality is more accurate than yours"
---
My DVD Collection

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   ericLee

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 05 2003 - 06:48 PM

In stereo mode it sound good but again when i put the volumen higher it still sounds harsh. ive noticed that it sounds the best when i play it during the middle of the night when nothing else is on except the lights. (past 1 am) anyother time it has the same problem. BTW i tested to see if you could hear the movies from the neighbors lawn it i cant relly hear anything , maybe slight noise but i guessing from inside there house they don't hear it at all.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted January 05 2003 - 11:38 PM

well something doesn't sound right here. a decently powered receiver, fairly efficient speakers, the combination of which shouldn't (but could?) be clipping. a few things come to mind.
1. you ordered them on the strength of reviews never having heard them before and you're just finding out that they really don't suit your tastes.
2. your room is too big for the speakers you chose.
3. your room is highly reverberant (wood floors, nothing much on the walls)...speakers not angled properly (?), maybe too close to the walls, maybe not at right hights?

if you actually ordered those speakers and you're finding them difficult to live with despite everything you try then forget about the reviews, forget about the recommendations, and just send them back. better to eat the s/h than be unhappy for a long time.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   ericLee

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 06 2003 - 06:23 AM

before this setup i;ve noticed the same problem with my paradigm setup. And it's wierd last night i listed from 1 to 3 am and it sounded very good, not fitigue at all. but this morning it sounded mediorce.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted January 06 2003 - 09:45 AM

well power conditioning means different things to different people. for some, it's dealing with voltage fluctuations and looking for means to smooth it out. for others, it's concern about line born emi/rfi. i can't see the latter being an issue for the receiver. the former...well you'd need to find a way to determine if you're undergoing voltage swings. myself, i've used a RS multimeter with a pc interface to record data over a period of time. off hand, what's your room like and have you worked on speaker placement?

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   ericLee

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 04:23 PM

My room is 35X20 the theater is located in the front half. I got the conditioner today-monster 3500. I watched a couple of movies and the sound did improve. The harashness is much less aparent. dyanmics, imaging improved also.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 11:40 PM

damned if i know how a conditioner improves imaging but glad you're pleased Posted Image

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Austin

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 02:38 AM

I think you're experiencing the limits of your speakers more than anything else. All speakers can't play at reference levels. They start becoming compressed and harsh.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   ericLee

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 08 2003 - 04:52 PM

I think the speakers have enough power handeling capibilties. the center and mains handel upt to 150 watts and rears are 100. I mentioned better imaging-i ment imaging on 5.1 sound not in stereo sound. I watched another movie today at refrence and no more problems. sounds much better. I was going to replace the reciver but i don't think i'll need to now. Thanks everyone for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users