What's new

multi-criteria tournament (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
We have these tourneys and there's always lots of disagreements, at least in part because of the different criteria we bring to bear. So, I thought it would be good to have a tourney where the criteria was explicit and see what happens.
For each matchup you will cast 4 votes.
1 - film you'd rather see (let's say you're on a flight and you get to pick which of the two films they play (uncensored :))
2 - the more serious film
3 - the film that is better art
4 - which film you think is better overall (however you define that)
Now, for all of us, some of these categories are going to be redundant. But, I think which categories are redundant are going to vary from person to person. For example, some (like me) will see no difference between 1 or 3, whereas I know some will not think 1 and 3 are the same at all.
As far as the films, I'm stealing the top 64 from the HTF 100 revote thread and just using those.
Please cast 4 votes even if they are all the same. For example: Film X vs. Film Y
rather watch: X
more serious: X
better art: Y
better film: X
Bracket 1:
Taxi Driver vs. Sunset Blvd

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
1 Sunset Blvd Less of a downer, though still barely uplifting. Good enough reason?
2 Sunset Blvd They're both very serious films, but I find the story of SB more compelling/gripping.
3 Taxi Driver It's masterfully made and contains some perfectly designed shots. I also think it handles a tricky concept with wit, and an appropriate grim reality. It also has one of my favourite Herrman film scores.
4 Sunset Blvd As good as I think TD is, there's a gradeur that comes with SB. It's a magnificent film, marveelously played, and with a script that touches at the very core of its characters.[/end pretentious ramble] ;)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
rather watch: Taxi Driver
more serious: Taxi Driver - close
better art: Taxi Driver - close
better film: Taxi Driver
George,
I'd suggest another category: More entertaining: although it'll probably stir up some hot debates with some around here. :D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Rather Watch: Taxi Driver - More involving due to DeNiro's performance, and easier to relate to given the time difference and settings of the films.
More Serious: Taxi Driver - Tempted to vote for S.B., but T.D.'s themes of isolation and disaffection with society are fairly serious and are probably more relevant.
Better Art: Sunset Blvd. - The film's examination of the nature of stardom, the dialogue, the surreal aspects of Norma Desmond's life, and the cinematography all give the film a more artistic flair.
Better Film: Taxi Driver - Mostly on the basis of emotional committment. DeNiro's Travis Bickle had more impact upon me than any of the characters in Sunset Blvd.. Very close.
- Walter.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Why do I feel like George has an agenda with this tourney?

Anyhoo, abstain... only seen about 15 minutes of Sunset Blvd.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Rather Watch: Sunset Blvd.
More Serious: Taxi Driver - only because it's more "grisly".
Better Art: Tie
Better Film: Toss-up

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
ChuckDeLa said:
Why do I feel like George has an agenda with this tourney?
If there is one, I can kind of agree with it. I'm curious to see the how folks would now vote.
1. Taxi Driver I'm like De Niro's films a lot so far.
2. Taxi Driver It's what Jan H said.
3. Taxi Driver I'd have to say Scorsese direction says more, although what's being said is a puzzle to me.
4. you guessed it Taxi Driver In a slight edge.
Don't get me wrong, I like Sunset Blvd. quite a bit, and it features one of the creepiest performances ever.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
rather watch: Sunset Blvd.
more serious: Sunset Blvd.
better art: Sunset Blvd.
better film: Sunset Blvd.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
rather watch: Sunset Blvd.
more serious: Taxi Driver
better art: Sunset Blvd.
better film: Sunset Blvd.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure. :) Honestly, I don't really know what you think my 'agenda' is. I just thought it would be interesting to see how these different criteria would modify the results. As far as the films I picked, I wanted to look at all 100 films on the HTF list, but didn't want to push this to 128, and just couldn't decide which ones to eliminate, so I just took the top 64, although I really would like to see how films like Do The Right Thing would compare across these categories.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Rather Watch: Sunset Boulevard
More Serious: Taxi Driver
Better Art: Taxi Driver
Better Film: Sunset Boulevard

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

But you do think of Rather Watch & Better Film as separate categories? Sorry but I'm not understanding your thought process now.

I know where you're trying to go with this experiment (and I might tend to slightly agree with you in theory) but you totally threw me off with this.

I'll still play along here but I do hope the future match-ups become a little more challenging lets say by pitting some HTF holy grails, fan-boy favorites & critically acclaimed untouchables against each other.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Jim_K said:
But you do think of Rather Watch & Better Film as separate categories? Sorry but I'm not understanding your thought process now.
For a lot of people, myself particularly, that's an easy distinction. I'd rather watch Star Wars than any other film any day of the week, but there are better films out there (better in terms of direction, cinematography, acting). So I dont' think that's too hard.
It's just that 9 out of 10 times, I always vote for the film I prefer in these tourneys. That's why I think georgekaplan's "experiment" is interesting. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Rather watch: Sunset Blvd.
More serious: Taxi Driver
Better art: Sunset Blvd.
Better film: can't decide
Very tough matchup!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The results:
rather watch: Sunset Blvd
more serious: Taxi Driver
better art: Sunset Blvd (I broke this tie)
better film: Sunset Blvd
I should mention that I'm trying to count these votes very carefully, but if I make a mistake at some point, I apologize in advance :)
Next bracket,
To Kill a Mockingbird vs. Duck Soup

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
abstain
Haven't seen Duck Soup in a really, really long time.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yet another great idea for a tourney George!
I think I'm glad I missed the first bracket, since I absolutely love both Taxi Driver and Sunset Boulevard.
I probably would vote like this:
Rather watch: Taxi Driver (barely)
More serious: Draw
Better art: Taxi Driver (slightly better cinematography, and perfectly captures the streets of New York)
Better film: Taxi Driver (by a very slim margin)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks