What's new

Anyone Know If a New "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" Movie Is in the Works? (1 Viewer)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I grew up with these characters and really liked, and still like, the first movie.

I know that John Woo was thinking of doing a CGI Turtles movie but I believe that's currently shelved. But with a new Turtles show debuting on Fox on Febuary, the old movies hitting dvd, and even new figures and toys hitting stores now, I'm wondering if the Turtles craze is being ressurected and that they may revisit the silver screen again. Anyone know if there are any rumors to make a fourth movie (or brand new one, whether it's CGI or live action)?

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
i'm totally down for it. i would guess that there will be one if the turtles can catch on again. i'd really love to hear something definite about the john woo thing. i really only read it once a few months ago.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I loved the first one sooo much and the 2nd was a good, but a bit too goofy followup. The 3rd one was like a live action episode taken from the cartoon. Ugh.

I miss Jim Henson.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Why do they keep trying to bring back the turtles? I like the original cartoon series and have it on DVD, but everything afterwards (besides the first movie and couple of the video games) stunk in my personal opinion. I don't think this new CGI movie is going to be good at all.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
^^You just rattled off a ton of TMNT success though...that's why they are trying to bring it back. If it's successful on TV, film and video games, it's a huge money maker.

I agree I'd rather see a live action film like the original, though.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
The new TMNT movie should be live-action, like the first one. It would probably be less-expensive than an all CGI movie. A live-action movie would make people think "Hey, I remember the live action movies, I liked them!" and they would go see it. An all CGI movie seems gimmicky, and I don't think it would be a very big success.

Also Vanilla Ice should make a cameo appearence in the new movie and sing a reprise of the Ninja Rap!

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I agree, another live-action film would be better (though I'd hope they'd go back to the turtle designs from the first film, as I thought they looked better and less fruity than the suits in the later films).

Better yet, a live-action film in the vein of "Batman Begins" or "Sin City" that has the flavor of the original comic.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Oh, they want do do the film ALL CGI? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I thought they would just make the Turtles, Splinter, and any other necessary creatures CGI, but be an otherwise live-action film.
I thought that would be the way to go. No actors struggling to perform in clumsy, bulky suits, really free up the movements of the turtles. It could easily be done with on-set actors and stunt-people and then redner the CGI over them a la Jar Jar and Golem.
I don't think I'd be all that interested in an CGI animated feature. Would be kind of creepy. But, photo-realistic CGI ninja-turtles in a live action movie would be cool.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
^^I don't know...I'd rather just see a CGI movie then a combo between CGI and live action. I suppose it could be great like Roger Rabbitt, but I believe it'd come out like crap (like the recent Looney Tunes movie).

I don't think an all CGI would be bad--quite a few CGI movies have come that have been great--I would just prefer live action. But, if you are basing it off the new ninja turtles, CGI might be better. The new turtles don't even have pupils in their eyes.

Travis W.

Second Unit
The new turtles don't even have pupils in their eyes.
The new show sticks closely to the designs of the original comics, in which they did not have pupils. Of course they all had red bandanas and tails in the original comics as well.
The new animated series is one of the best ways to watch the TMNT as it is very close to the original comic. I can't imagine this film branching too far from the source material. Besides, it's good to see the TMNT enter new arenas such as CGI film. I think the reason why the TMNT have been around for so long (I guess you could argue they hit a hiatus after the original toon ended) is because they've never stuck into one groove. There's edgy b&w comics, kids comics, kids cartoons, edgy cartoon, the list could go on and on. Sadly most people only remember the TMNT as the stars of a goofy show in the early 90s. Don't go flaming me yet I loved that show and still do today but the TMNT are capable of much more than just sitting around eating pizza, cracking jokes, and fighting robotic ninjas.
They could animate it with stick figures and I'd be there opening day :D. Spring 2007 can't come soon enough.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Travis...

So I guess you watch the new cartoon? How do you like it overall? I watched a good amount of episodes. I thought it was solid enough, but I wasn't blown away like I expected to be. I know it's a kid's cartoon, I just expected to like it more than I did.

What did you think about the original movie?

Travis W.

Second Unit
I love both the original movie and new series. I feel the new series has the personalities of each turtle down to a T (no pun intended) and the action is top notch. Overall I think it's aimed at kids but definitely knows how to please the older bracket as well.

The original movie is easily in my top 10. The second film is definitely a product of the sequel generation (get em out quick and make a big profit)and not very good. while I feel the third film gets a little too much flack. I do wish the new TMNT film was using animatronics because they were so convincing in the original films. As long as this CGI flick doesn't try to copy realism like Final Fantasy: The Spririts Within (and to a lesser extent The Polar Express) I've got high hopes for it.

The only TMNT literation I downright despised was Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation (live-action series)...man it was bad. REAL bad.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
^^Yeah I still love the original TMNT movie to this day.

And although the third movie was bad, when I rewatched it, I noticed the fight scenes are the best of all the movies oddly enough.

The second one was very toned down unfortunately.

Travis W.

Second Unit
And although the third movie was bad, when I rewatched it, I noticed the fight scenes are the best of all the movies oddly enough.
I've noticed the same thing in recent years. The fight scenes in TMNT 2 are just laughable (love it when the Foot Soldiers ambush the TMNT at TGRI and there's a bunch on a wall just twirling their staffs as the others attack...). The first film is still the best and has aged considerably well. For years the second film came above the third for me but there's more flaws in their second outing than any of the others.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
The new turtles don't even have pupils in their eyes
Correct me if I'm wrong, originally (as in the comics) they didn't have pupils, either.

Has potential. As a person who really doesn't like John Woo all that much, I am personally very glad that he is no longer with the project (but I fear for Metroid). I believe the inclusion of Laird is a good thing, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks