What's new

ADV Films finally(!) to release 90's GAMERA on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE is supposed to come out mid March (the 18th, I think). You can get the movie only or buy it in a collector's box that will have room for the 2 sequels (to be released later in 2003--!)

This is great news for me. I've been waiting for ADV to get off their be-hinds and put these out on DVD ever since I got into the format.

March can't come soon enough!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I recorded it from Showtime via satellite on S-VHS. The colors are great and I still us it as a demo when trying to convince those that want a new vcr they should go S-VHS. Anyway this is on the list as well.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Will it have the original language?? If its dubbed I won't even bother.

--Ian

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Yes, both subbed and dubbed versions are on the disc.

What I want to make sure of is that it's letterboxed. ADV's VHS was and they're real good about OAR, but I haven't actually read that G:GOTU is, and weirder things have happened. I'm 99.5-percent sure that it will be, but it's that %.5 that scares me!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
This seems to be the release schedule for the DVDs:

Gamera GOTU, March 18
Gamera 2, April 29
Gamera 3, June 10

According to David Williams, the president of ADV films, they have licensed all the extras from the amazing japanese box set as well!

Now if we can just dislodge Toho's SF library for letterboxed, subbed region 1 releases, we'll be cooking with gas!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Picked up "Gamera-Guardian of the Universe".
Contents are as follows:
1.85:1 16x9
2.0 Japanese Language Track w/subtitles:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
2.0 English dubbed track:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Scene selection
Extras Include: Theactrical trailers & tv spots. 3 different promotional spots running about 3-7 minutes each.
30 minute interview(Part 1) with the director of the 3 Gamera films. Parts 2 & 3 will be on the later releases coming in April & June.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest that anyone picking this up check it immediately to make sure it's really Gamera. My review disc had the Gamera art on it, but the disc turned out to really be Super Duper Sumos #2 (also from ADV). Imagine my disappointment. :frowning:

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
GAMERA GAURDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE packaging states that it is 16:9. I watched the movie yesterday on my Widescreen Mitsubishi TV and it was not 16:9 encoded. I would not call it 1.85:1 either. It is more like 1.78:1.

The film is in both Japanese with English subtitles and English dubbed. All the extra's are subtitled as well.

I bought the non box version of the disc. There were two versions available. The first being the movie for $19.99. The second was the same disc in the same (DVD) package (and part number) but housed in a cardboard box with a white styrofoam insert (to fill up the empty space where the other two Gamera titles will go). This second version was priced as $24.99

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I went to Best Buy tuesday night after work to buy this but I couldn't find it? I also tried Wallmart. Where did you get your copies?
thanks Randy:frowning:

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
The ADV release of Gamera is NOT 16X9. A few other Forums posted this a few weeks back (including the Monster Zero Forum).

Aparently, Gamera 2 & 3 will be tho.

Andrew

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that ADV basically just ported their VHS for the new DVD as they didn't want to spend the extra bucks for a new transfer. Luckily they never released 2 or 3 before, so we can get nice new anamorphic transfers for those (hopefully). Its a shame about the first one though. I would just pick up the Japan R2 disc for part one, but I believe only the quite expensive R2 box set DVDs have English subs, not the individually sold discs. :frowning:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just for clarification (and this has happened before),
the DVD for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
says the aspect ratio is "16 x 9." It does not say it
is enhanced for widescreen televisions.
1.78:1, as most of you know, is an AR of 16 x 9.
Certainly the packaging is misleading, because the
connotation of "16 x 9" is
"enhanced for widescreen televisions,"
but on a purely denotation level, the packaging
is not incorrect.
Deceptive, yes.
Dishonest, no.
;)
Mark

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Disappointing that ADV used their old VHS transfer for GOTU and didn't license the better anamorphic/DD 5.1 print. Besides this huge negative, the disk is still very nice. Finally we have a region 1 kaiju release that features both the original Japanese language w/English subs as well as the English dub. Also the extras are great as well with all the interviews being subbed.
I found my copy with the artbox at Best Buy for only $14.99. For some reason Best Buy had the DVD only version priced higher at $17.99. BTW, this Best Buy had their Gamera releases in the Anime section.

Good news is that ADV has indeed confirmed, over on the AnimeOnDVD.com forums, that the next two releases will in fact contain the anamorphic/DD 5.1 transfers.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I am thankful that ADV brought this to region 1, and YES I am spoiled, but I must admit I was disappointed with the transfer.
The thing that I really noticed was the amount of video noise present, especially in the dark scenes. AND, the reel change marks (fer cryin' out loud!). Haven't ever seen those in a movie from the 90's on DVD, that I can remember. These, and a few other nit-picky things, cause this dvd to have something of a "hangdog" air about it. I wanted it to sparkle, and it don't sparkle.
The sound wasn't great either.
All said, a decent but unspectacular release. The extras are nice, however (and subtitled!). Which is strange that theyr'e so nice and the film transfer was merely ported from the VHS master. Oh well.
Bring on Legion and Irys!!
Yeah, I guess this is the first one, huh? Does "Tokyo Shock's" Gappa have both? That's the only one that comes to mind that might have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks