What's new

$600 budget and i have 2 choices. (1 Viewer)

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
get a new yamaha rx v1300 or a used but mint condition yamaha dsp a1?

i am more of a 65% music (sacd,dvd audio,cd) and 35% movie(dts and dd only).

my system is composed of :
32 inch toshiba tv - non hdtv
definitive technology BP 2004 mains
definitive c 1 center , and definitive BP 2x rears,
sony DVP NS755d dvd /sacd player
toshiba sd 4800 dvd /dvd audio player

pioneer elite vsx 07 tx which im using now but no DTS and 5.1 channel inputs

panamax db500 line conditioner and surge protectopr
monster cable all around.

i want to know if this upgrade is ok - or if im better off going with other choices?

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Raphael, I would say that since you are more of a music listener than movie watcher, and also since you have Def Tech speakers, I would go with something other than Yamaha in this case. Harman Kardon, Marantz, NAD or B&K would probably serve you better for your requirements (IMHO).

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
tnx for the input russ.

ill look and research into these different receivers you mentioned.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Or listen to the new Yamaha for yourself. A lot of this talk about Yamahas not being optimal for music is just that -- talk, and often by people who are just regurgitating. Personally, I preferred Yamaha's sound for music when I auditioned units, and that's why I bought one.

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
i know where you are coming from robcar - thats why my 2 choices are yamaha 's.

but im open to other inputs.

im not much for 6.1 really - 5.1 is enough for me.
i use the receiver really for music and a little movie,
my current set up is the elite pioneer vsx 07 tx - which is great at its time but it is a bit old without DTS and 5.1 channel inputs.

the rx v1300 has all the bells and whistles for an entry level (as there is 2300 annd 3300) - but the dsp a1 has excellent build quality and bass management for sacd or dvd audio use.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Well Mr robcar, I'm saying that about Yamaha, and I'm not regurgitating as I also happen to own one for myself. A recent top of the line model at that which I now regret ever having bought in the first place. While I'll be the first to admit that it is good (if not great) for movies, it's 2 channel stereo music performance is not up to par with my HK by a damned sight. It's not even close. When comparing the 2 against each other on the exact same speakers and sources, it's no contest to me. HK by a landslide on stereo music. It's a big, very obvious night and day difference, not just a subtle one. The Yamaha just flat out doesn't sound even nearly as good to my ears on music. Plus, if you were to pair one with def techs, it probably wouldn't exactly be one of the best possible matches for a Yamaha. Mirage would be a much better match, IMHO. Raphael asked for other's opinions, and I offered mine. I could personally not care less what brand he buys. He should go and listen for himself as for his final decision however, as it's his money and he's the one who has to live with his purchase.

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
mark - which HK receivers would you recommend? do they have quality issues as well as what ive been hearing on the top HK model?
what HK model are you using anyway?

Mark Russ

Second Unit
The 8000. That one is out your price range, however, the 525 would fall within it. Haven't had any problems with it, although I understand that some have. Never had any trouble with my Yamaha either. Yamaha has a reputation for being very reliable, and I certainly won't dispute that in any way whatsoever based on personal experience with mine. It is as virtually bulletproof as they come, and I want to make it clear, I have absolutely no complaints on my Yamaha for movies. It's just that I feel that music isn't it's strong suit.

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
well at least you know better mark as you have and owned both products.ill look into the HK525

problem here is that my area does not have much audio/video stores to demo equipment thats why im relying on experiences of ppl her eon the board .

DonJ

Second Unit
I run an H/K 320 and I love it. There on sell everywhere right now. YOu should be able to find one for under 400.00 it the best you can get at that price.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely also recommend h/k over yamaha, having owned both, at least in terms of 2-channel stereo.

I'd try to find a 225 or a 320.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I only meant that it's such a personal preference thing, that Raphael's best bet would to be to go into a couple shops with a completely open mind, not someone else's opinions. But then again, it's the others' opinions that help us narrow our choices. Anyway, didn't mean to sound dismissive. Sorry again.

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I have a HK AVR325 coming from JandR.com. I paid $550 for it shipped, but I ordered it on the 23rd so the shipping was free. Also they are an authorized dealer which was important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks