What's new

Removal of warts? (1 Viewer)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Bite them off?? haha, no don't do that. You can buy wart pads, or wart creme, but I find they don't work all that well. It also depends on what kind of wart it is and where it is. Best bet would be to go to the doctor though.

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if you have a high tolerance for pain (or you're just REALLY sick of the warts), you could do what I did a few years ago: buy a high-quality metal thermos and have it filled with liquid nitrogen at a local welding-supply shop. Dip a Q-tip in the LN and apply it to the wart for about 10 seconds. This will be the longest 10 seconds of your life. Watch the lye-scarring scene in Fight Club if you want some idea of what you're in for.
The end result will be that the wart will blister and disappear as the burn heals. Slight scarring is possible -- I certainly wouldn't do this anywhere sensitive without exhausting all medical alternatives first -- but it won't be anywhere near as bad as a conventional high-temperature burn.
The bad news is that the wart may still return a few weeks or months later, requiring one or more repeat treatments. Keep at it; it will eventually give up the battle with the liquid nitrogen and go away for good. (I know this because Tyler knows this, and also because it's exactly what my dermatologist used in a couple of office visits until I decided to save a few bucks by doing the same thing myself).
IMPORTANT! IANAD (I Am Not A Doctor), this is NOT to be considered qualified medical advice, and I do NOT recommend that you undertake this self-treatment. Theoretically it can cause permanent nerve injuries and scarring among other consequences. But, having said that... it did get rid of some warts on my hands a number of years ago with no negative long-term consequnces.
Once again, this is a dangerous procedure that should be conducted only by a physician. I do not recommend that anyone else take potentially-serious medical issues such as warts into their own hands. Liquid nitrogen -- like any liquified or frozen gas including more common substances like dry ice -- can be unbelievably dangerous if mishandled or stored improperly (e.g., a sealed container will eventually explode violently when the nitrogen's pressure rises with temperature).

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Damn, John, that's hard-core!!!

Try some good physical labor. While I was renovating the exterior of my house this past summer, I had two warts disappear...

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I got one on my chin, oh, probably nearly a year ago now. I bought the over-the-counter stuff, and it seems like it would work if I used it daily. It takes a long time - several months or so - before the wart is gone. I use it in stretches, and I do notice the thing shrinking when I've been good about it.

Downsides: Aforementioned slow process, burns like battery acid, turns white so it is very visible, and smells to high heaven.

Keep meaning to go to the dermatologist to have it removed, but have not yet done so.

I have considered taking a knife to it myself. It's not the pain that makes me hesitate, but the inevitable gushing of blood.

Jon

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Don't use a knife. That WILL leave a scar. For anything on your face, you'd be nuts not to see a dermatologist.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Go to the drug store and buy something called Duofilm or Duoplant.

Follow the instructions and you'll be wart-free withing a week or two.

Tried it and it works. This was after liquid nitrogen failed.

I used it on a couple plantar warts, so if that's not what you have, I would just ask the pharmacist. But I'm pretty sure the stuff is good for any kind of wart.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i used something off the shelf called vergo many years ago.
and it was the best thing i ever saw for warts.
it didnt smell burn or hurt in any way.
it was a cream that you put on.
but i cant seem to find it anymore.
:frowning:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Haven't tried it, but was amused by the story awhile back.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002...ain525523.shtml
Actually, I've heard the "duct tape" method referenced on a few shows. Apparently, duct tape was just as effective (or even more effective) than the other types of treatments for removing warts. The duct tape method takes about 8 weeks to fully work. After a period of time with the duct tape over your wart, you will be able to pull off the tape and remove the wart at the same time.
Unfortunately, I don't have any warts at the moment, so I can't try this method out. However, a few years back, I did have a stubborn wart that took over a year to remove with the over-the-counter wart removers. If only I had known about the duct tape trick back then ...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The duct tape treatment DOES work.
Tried it on my hand; reduced a large wart to nothing in a few weeks.
Just like WD-40, the magical gray tape seemingly works wonders.
(I wouldn't try WD on your warts, however. But, who knows!)

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
On the advice of my doctor I bought a product called Soluver Plus (available from pharmacist). It is "Treatment for resistant warts" and worked fantastically for some warts on my feet. It is a 27% salicylic acid concoction made by Dermtek Pharmaceuticals in Montreal, QC, Canada.

It is the type you brush on the wart in layers after using a pumice stone or nail board to get dead skin off. Then use a bandaid to cover it. (Note, it will tell you you don't need a bandaid, but I found that, at least on my feet, the stuff would tend to rub off.)

Highly recommended.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
What are warts? What causes them?

I have two on my hand, and I tried electrical tape once. It seemed to work really well, but I didn't keep at it long enough and the wart returned. I heard it had something to do with reducing the air supply to the wart, but I'm not sure.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I did the liquid nitrogen thing at the doctors office.
It worked for some of the worts. I also did the DYI with
liquid nitrogen, I got it from the local university. I was
working there doing a remodel of one their labs. One of the researchers there was kind enough to give me some in a foam cup. Needless to say, I was very careful with the stuff.
Now if only they had a cure for the warts down there :frowning:
I am NOT putting liquid nitrogen on THAT! :b

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Liquid Nitrogen treatment is what a dermatoligist will do. I would let them do it instead of doing it myself. I had that done many years ago with success.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
the best thing i've ever used was vitamin-E, seriously...

it takes about 2 weeks, but get those vitamin E capsules, and just poke a hole in it so the actual product comes out of the capsule, just put a dab on the wart and use a really good bandaid overtop to keep it from drying out. eventually the wart will dissapear or come off with no marks...

seriously - this works, and it's cheap!

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I had one on my foot a few years ago. I kept digging and poking it with a knife, a little each evening. In a month or so, it apparently died, turning into a rock hard lump. It was pretty easy to poke it out using a knife. It left a little hole in my foot, which was kinda cool at the time (I was 15), but that too disappeared in a few weeks. No blood at all.

A few months ago I discovered one on my knee, which I ripped out using only my finger nails. Hurt like hell, lot's of blood, won't do it again. Plus, it's returned.

--Anders

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I had one on my thumb a couple of years ago.

On a trip to Florida with my then-girlfriend, we went swimming in the ocean. Apparently the salt-water had some kind of effect on it, because it literally peeled off (ewwwww!) later that evening and never came back.

Moe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks