Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

If they WANTED to, COULD they make a back to the future 4?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 12:17 PM

is there a storyline for it?
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#2 of 39 Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 12:27 PM

I would imagine any BTTF IV film, should they ever make it(and they WON'T), would focus on Jules and Verne, the sons of Doc Brown. It worked on the short-lived Saturday morning cartoon.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#3 of 39 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 02:02 PM

Sure; it's not like any of the characters are dead or talent unavailable. Although (to me) it's an open question whether or not Robert Zemeckis still has a movie as fun and free-spirited as BTTF in him.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 39 Tim Ke

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 12:03 PM

hollywood can make sequels to anything, as long as it rakes in the cash Posted Image

#5 of 39 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,050 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 30 2002 - 12:33 PM

The question isn't could they, it's should they. I think as it stands, the trilogy represents a complete story arc.

#6 of 39 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,507 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 30 2002 - 01:10 PM

:wink: Oops!
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 39 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 03:06 PM

theoretically possible since MJ Fox is still alive, as is Chris Lloyd. but Foz surely can't pass for a teenager today. if they do an updated story involving him as a middle-aged adult, it wouldn't be any fun at all.

might be more interesting if they just focus on Doc Brown and his misadventures in travelling through time, with a cameo by Fox where the Doc drops in on him in, say, 2003, to visit.

#8 of 39 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 05:07 PM

If they found a way to resurect Ripley, they can definitely write a sequel for BTTF!

--
Holadem

#9 of 39 Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 05:34 PM

If Home Alone can get three sequels then anything is possible.

#10 of 39 Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 07:52 PM

I don't think they can make a part IV, since at the end of part III it specifically SAYS: "The End."

#11 of 39 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,436 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 12:35 AM

Quote:
I don't think they can make a part IV, since at the end of part III it specifically SAYS: "The End."

Yeah, but look at the end of Part 1, never had "to be continued", they went back and put it in and had 2 sequels.

Seriously though, they shouldn't but they could always do completley different characters.

IDEA: Maybe sombody finds time machine plans, long after Doc Brown passes away, and builds one for their own benefit, problems arise..etc..etc..

all-banner.jpg

#12 of 39 EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 01:56 AM

SKYNET sends a robot back in time to kill Doc Brown from inventing the Flux Capacitor... Doc Brown's own future daughters-in-law come back to protect him, and also to avenge/prevent the future deaths of their husbands/Doc's sons (Skynet wants to be the only time travel-capable entity of the future, you see).
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#13 of 39 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 03:56 AM

the ideas are endless! Posted Image

come on, I would love to see another BTTF
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#14 of 39 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 06:15 AM

I don't remember where it was but in one of the Q&A's or commentaries on the discs the issue of a sequel was specifically addressed by Zemeckis and he said that Universal COULD do a sequel as they own rights to the title, but he and Bob Gale own the rights to the characters and a part IV couldn't include Marty or Doc without their involvement. He has no interest in doing any further sequels.

I agree with him, there's nowhere for the story to go that wouldn't be a rehash.

#15 of 39 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 06:28 AM

Leave BTTF alone and don't make any more. Please. Further attempts to cash in on this unique series will only sully the original.
My DVDs

#16 of 39 Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 09:20 AM

I think Fox sure could pass for a teenaged Marty. He's so youthful. Unfortunately, with Parkinson's disease he has very poor motor skills. He is constantly rocking back and forth in his seat, and it's saddening to see him try and walk.

#17 of 39 Tim Ke

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 11:16 AM

dump Fox and bring in Freddie Prinze Posted Image

#18 of 39 Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted January 01 2003 - 05:49 AM

Could they? Of course, cheezy scripts and bad sequels are a piece of cake. Would it be a good idea? Hell no.

#19 of 39 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted December 21 2005 - 04:41 AM

It seems Michael J. Fox has recently been talking about a Part IV. Being a HUGE fan of the trilogy, I'm interested albeit very skeptical. From http://imdb.com/news...n/2005-12-21/#3

"Michael J. Fox is heading Back To The Future for a fourth time-traveling movie. The actor, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, admits he's in negotiations for a final film in the series - but only if they make his character as old as he is in real life. The former Spin City star wants to take over Christopher Lloyd's eccentric scientist character, Doc, in the sequel. He tells movie website Moviehole.net, "The only way it would work would be if I played Doc. I'm 44-years-old now and I'm not interested in running around on skateboards! I think after 1, 2 and 3 we all kind of felt we had done it. And I think if they did it again now they would do it with a younger cast and just do a different realisation of it, which would be fun." "

#20 of 39 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted December 21 2005 - 04:50 AM

WOW