-

Photo
- - - - -

ISF Calibration Recommendation - Virginia?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 07:43 AM

Hi all.

I was wondering if there was anyone here that could recommend a good place to contact for ISF calibration that services the state of Virginia?

Thanks a lot.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#2 of 15 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,317 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted December 29 2002 - 02:49 PM

Hi Paul

Chuck Williams works out of the DC area and I highly recommend him. His email address is : Cmwtek@aol.com

He will be away for Jan and Feb, if you need it during this time frame, please send me an email and I will do my best to assist you.

Regards

Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 15 Bruce N

Bruce N

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 01:50 AM

Check your email.

Bruce
"Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me?"

#4 of 15 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 02:26 AM

My sincere thanks for the two replies. I realized after I wrote the initial post that I did not update my user profile when I moved from Leesburg, VA to Virginia Beach, VA. I am not sure whether that will affect the availability of either of the two people recommended, but I have sent e-mails out to each of them to explore there ability to do an ISF calibration for me.

Gregg,

If it turns out that I need to have the calibration performed before Chuck Williams is available, I will get in touch with you.

Thanks again.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#5 of 15 Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 02:57 PM

Paul,

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and experience after the calibration. I will be having my set done sometime after I get out of this apartment and into a real home.

BTW, how long have you been in the Hampton Roads area? I assume you have an HD setup? I'm not sure if you frequent the AVS forum, but we have a local HD Programming thread there in which all the local DTV station engineers are active posters. If you haven't seen it yet feel free to pop your head in and say hello. It's nice having station reps in the thread to give feedback to and to get solid info on local DTV programming and changes/problems. Welcome to the area!

Mike

#6 of 15 Chris Lana

Chris Lana

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 04 2003 - 09:02 AM

Paul,

Domes in Chesapeake told me they just received ISF certification in Nov. Cost $300.

BTY, I just relocated to HR from Herndon in April!

Haven't delved into the local scene a lot. Been to two stores and a repair facility. All OK.

I see Bruce N posted earlier--if memory's correct he came to my house a while back for a NVA meet...

Haven't seen any posts in the local meets page for anything here...perhaps later.

Mike--I live in Etheridge Lakes--near you?

Having attended and hosted meets in NVA, I look forward to resumption.

Chris

#7 of 15 Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 05 2003 - 02:31 AM

Chris,

Welcome back to the area. John Chester at Dome's mentioned to me that they have an "ISF certified" calibrator now too. I'm still not sure who I'm gonna have do mine when the time comes. Not to take anything away from Dome's or a local guy, but I have read that Chuck Williams is one of the best in the country and have read tons of reviews of his work. I believe that I'll have him come down to do mine later.

I'm not sure exactly where Etheridge Lakes is. I'm in the Woodbriar area right behind Lowe's on Battlefield. I don't know of any area meets since I've been reading the major HT message boards. It would be cool to get something like that going to see other people's creations and ideas.

Take care and make sure you get on the forum/thread that I mentioned above.

Mike

#8 of 15 Chris Lana

Chris Lana

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 06 2003 - 12:24 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Thought it'd be best to send a email since we're just chatting.

First I expected either of the others on the thread to have responded...

Been to Lowe's many times! I'm off the by-pass and Hanbury (exit 11).

Later I'll go into AVS. Long story short, I was going into many sites and got bogged down so HTF was #1 and over time, I've limited my viewing just to this site.

Please keep me in the loop on ISF and anything else of interest.

Chris

#9 of 15 Chris Lana

Chris Lana

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 06 2003 - 12:26 PM

Disregard the portion on email--was sent to my address.

#10 of 15 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 08:00 AM

All,

I have to admit I've been guilty of "abandoning" this thread once I had set up an appointment with Chuck Williams to perform an ISF calibration of my Mitsubishi WS-55905.

IIRC, I set up the appointment with him in January, and schedules didn't permit our getting together until this past week to do it. He had taken some time off in the early part of the year.

Anyway, I missed the part about Domes getting an ISF certified tech, however, the work Chuck Williams did on my set is absolutely amazing. It looks like a completely new TV. I never knew DVD could look this good.

I highly recommend Chuck Williams. And I highly recommend everyone consider an ISF calibration an essential part of their home theater set-up.

The Jackal

#11 of 15 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,317 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 07 2003 - 02:54 AM

Very kewl!!

Chuck is an excellent, I am glad you are absolutely amazed (though not surprised).

Regards

Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#12 of 15 JimmyK

JimmyK

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted May 07 2003 - 08:17 AM

As another HTFer living in Hampton Roads (Hampton), I would also be interested in knowing who could do a calibration in this area (I have a Tosh 40H80).

Do different calibrators specialize in different makes/models?

How do you know an excellent calibrator from mediocre one?

Thanks!

JimmyK

PS - I use to think I was the only HTFer in SE VA!

#13 of 15 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 02:09 AM

JimmyK,

Well, as the thread indicates, it appears Domes in Chesapeake could probably hook you up with an ISF Calibrator. It sounds like this would be your cheapest route. However, I have no way of vouching for their quality.

If you're not comfortable going that route, you could try getting on Chuck Williams schedule. His e-mail address is at the beginning of this thread. He comes highly recommended. However, he primarily operates out of the D.C. area, so he'll probably wait until he has 2-3 other appoinments in this area, so he can split his traveling expenses amongst his clients.

Chuck is very capable, so I doubt he'd have a problem with your set's manufacturer. As far as telling a good one from a bad one, word of mouth here in this forum seems to be the best resource.

The Jackal

#14 of 15 JimmyK

JimmyK

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 02:42 AM

Quote:
Domes in Chesapeake could probably hook you up with an ISF Calibrator. It sounds like this would be your cheapest route. However, I have no way of vouching for their quality.

This is one of my concerns. I understand that being ISF certified doesn't automatically make one a great calibrationist.

Has anyone else in this area had their set calibrated? What were the results.

Paul, what specifically did you have done to your set? You can e-mail me if you wish.

Thanks!

JimmyK

PS- It would also be nice if I could see how a calibrated set looks, if anyone here is willing to let me see the results they got on their set.Posted Image

#15 of 15 Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted May 08 2003 - 04:11 AM

Can someone enlighten me as to waht ISF calibration is? I always figured if you bought the TV it should be set up right form the start, no car dealer sells you a car and then offers to sell you a tune up before you take your new car out on the road!

I too am in the VA Beach area (Chesapeake) and am impressed with Domes (especially John Chester - he knows his stuff). I'm still debating where to get my TV from and whether to go for Mitsu Platinum 55" (at 2799 - price match from Domes) or Pioneer 53" (not Elite, the next one down, 2500 from Audio Connection)