Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Why is Panasonic so limited?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 07:09 AM

I am thinking of upgrading to an RP82 but I can't find one locally anywhere. Online is no better. I can find plenty of everyone elses brand but the only Panasonics I can find is the RP62 and below. Thought about going for an RP62 but for what I am looking for the RP82 would be a better choice and only slightly more. I know these are popular but how popular could it really be? Your average John Q Public would not know the difference anyway. Plus Panasonic is a huge company and would not have any problems keeping up with demand. Yet these can't be found anywhere. Very odd!!!

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor

• 908 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 08:11 AM

They are discontinued,.

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 08:37 AM

[quote] They are discontinued,. [quote]

Well that is just great Panasonic....WAY TO GO!!!....The most popular player on the planet and they discontinue it.

Actually I picked up on the AVS Forum that many retailers are saying it is discontinued in order to steer customers into other models. It is not actually discontinued. The new model will not be out until summer at least.

I sent an e-mail to OneCall asking if I can pre-order and have them send it out when stock arrives. So far no response.

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,556 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 08:48 AM

Doesn't Panasonic only make low end DVD players? As far as I know and I could be wrong. I dont think they make anything that would compete with the Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, Denon or especially Meridian, McItosh and Theta.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,091 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 10:40 AM

If you consider a $200-$230 DVD player to be low end, then perhaps Panasonic is a low end DVD player manufacturer. The way I look at it, DVD player technology has come a long way since 1997, and you can get a lot of performance for under $250. Only a very small percentage of buyers will benefit from spending $3500 on a DVD player (like the Denon DVD-9000)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 11:11 AM

Panasonic makes a great player at a great price and everyone wants one. Same thing happened with the RP91, they were really hard to find and rumors went around that it had been discountinued, but it is in production still. And Chris, for a long time the RP91 was pretty much king of the hill and outperformed players double it's price. It's still considered one of the best players available.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 12:15 PM

The RP-82 has a low-end price for sure but its performance is worth ten times the asking price, especially for videophiles. I'm glad I got mine before the surge in demand! By the way--anyone residing in the Seattle area should be able to purchase the RP82 from Video Only. They also carry the '72, for those who prefer a changer and won't miss a coax output.
Busily building an awesome home theater since 2001!

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,914 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 29 2002 - 01:56 PM

[quote] Doesn't Panasonic only make low end DVD players? [quote]
Just because the line is not called "Elite" or "ES", doesn't make the Panny players low end. The Panasonic RP-91 was considered one of the best price/performance players on the market, as were the RP-62 and RP-82.

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,556 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 05:01 PM

Did not mean to make it sound like Panasonic was not making a quality product. Dam I hope that is not the way I came across :b . My first dvd player was a Panasonic and it did a great job. Panasonic is well know for longevity in there products but referance quality is not what it think of when I think of Pany thats all. My brother just bought a JVC dvd player that I think is not so hot. To be honest I think he should have bought a Panasonic. The JVC has a problem with artifacts depending on the level of detail in the background and in dark scense it shows up more. I never had that problem with my Pany or even my Pioneer DV-525. My main dvd is a Sony DVP-S9000 that I purchased about 3 months ago for about $850 including a 10 year extended warrenty Posted Image .

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,556 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 05:16 PM

does Panasonic make a model with the 6 analog outs for dvd-a ??

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Larry C

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 05:31 PM

Just to let some of you know... I live in Miami, Fl. and was killing myself looking for a RP-82 online... of course no one had any in stock... So low and behold om Christmas morning I am unwrapping a present from my wife and POW!!!!!!!!!!! An RP-82.... She knew I was dying for one.... Where did she get it???? YES a B&M store... BRANDSMART!!!!!!!!!!! So if any are interested.. I do not know if they are national but there are 3 in Miami.. Call them maybe they ship!!!!

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 09:32 PM

We must have a lot of videophiles now days. I still think Panasonic has the capability to produce enough of these to satisfy every videophile who would want one. Perhaps after the first of the year the demand will die down and these will be easier to find. I currently have a Toshiba SD-K710 progressive scan player. It is basically the same model as the SD3800 with a different model number for Costco. It is a pretty good player but it does have the chroma bug. At first it did not bother me but then after researching it and then noticing it when I watch movies I can see it during certain shots. Since I have an old RCA DVD player that is not very healthy I decided to relocate the Toshiba and replace it with a Panisonic RP82 for mainline service. Since the RP82 is in such demand I can wait it out a while. It will show up eventually.

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,091 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 02:20 AM

Here's a link to Panasonic's DVD player offerings:

http://www.prodcat.p......goryid= 2977

Suffice it to say, any player listed with DVD-Audio playback capability has the 6 analog channel (5.1) outputs on them.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor

• 908 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 02:43 AM

FYI the player is being discontinued, this is not to move you into any other product. As one of the largest panasonic retailers i can tell you this is a very reliable source. Also if you want the 5 disc model ending in cp72 is the exact player with multi disc capabilities.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   JasonLC

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 04:16 AM

Kevin, Has the RP82 been discontinued because of revenues or short supply? What does your source say about that?

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 04:53 AM

Has Panasonic offically announced that the 82 is discountinued? The same rumors went around with the 91, and it is still with us.

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 02:32 PM

I have the option of ordering an RP82 from OneCall and having it delivered when stock arrives. They hope to get a shipment from Panasonic by the end of January. Right now I am debating if I should just order an RP82 and wait for a shipment or just wait until we hear more about the RP83. I am a little concerned that Panasonic might decide to go a little cheaper on the RP83. If they even make an RP83.

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 02:58 PM

Read a post on the AVS forum from a guy who contacted Panasonic, who told him to check a certain reseller, who then told the poster that they would be getting more of the 82 in January and that they are to be discountinued in March. March would be just about right if they announce a new player at CES this January.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 03:24 PM

Panasonic can make very high quality products when they want to. Though I think the lousy economy(?) has hit them kind of hard. :

The DVD-H2000, original msrp $2500 (in 2001). Can't find it on Panny's site anymore: http://www.video-dir....dvd-h2000.html

Their Technics audio division stopped building $3500 stereo amp/preamp combo this last year also. Available only in Europe though: http://www.hifichoic....rintreview.htm
Separates that are still available: http://panasonic.co....duct/amplifier/
(hit that "television" link & check out all the widescreen TVs available over there!)

A wearable PC computer?!:
http://panasonic.co....c/CF07LZ5ZY.htm

The above are some reasons I own an all Panasonic/Technics HT component system (speakers are Bostons though Posted Image).

LJ

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,556 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 04:21 PM

Maybe when I am at the CES show I will bring up your concerns with a rep for Panasonic if I remember:b . I will pass the link to the thread along to the rep and maybe he may have an answer when more units will be available and why there may be a problem ??

Happy New Year Everyone Posted Image

Am leaving Thursday night on the 9th to go to the CES show. Maybe I will see some of you there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users