-

Photo

My Tempest doesn't work...help!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   ChristopherD

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 06:37 AM

I loaded the driver into an Adire Alignment box, put the level on the lowest setting and turned it on for the first time. Very little came out as I incresed the volume and what did was "crunchy" and distorted. The speaker sounded like it was blown. The sound gets better if I support the cone slightly with my hand, but still not clean and deep.

I modified the design, but kept the internal volume the same. The ends of the ports are right over the driver, though. Not sure if this has relevance, but more info may help.
Thanks.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Dustin B

Dustin B

Producer

• 3,128 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 07:48 AM

How are you wiring it (series/parallel/sep sources), have you double checked for slip ups on the wiring. If you have one of the voice coils connected backwards you won't get much for output.
Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   ChristopherD

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 07:55 AM

Here's what I did:
One length of 12g wire soldered to the neg post on one VC, wrapped over the magnets and soldered to the neg post on the other VC. I did the same for the pos terminals. I then attached the pos amp wire to one pos VC post using the provided clip, then attached the neg amp wire to the same VC neg post.
See any problems?

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 07:59 AM

ChristopherD- you are wired right assuming you confirmed those connections visually and didn't just assume that is what you did.

What amp are you using? Speaker level inputs or LFE/RCA?

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   ChristopherD

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 08:09 AM

That's what I think I did. I'll take it apart and see. The amp is the PE 250 watt unit and the connections are LFE/RCA.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 08:32 AM

It doesn't hurt to double check connections and also I have found that I run my Tempest 214L at 12 noon to 1:00 o'clock and there is no mistaking it being on or not. I am also using the PE 250W amp. I run the crossover at the lowest level approx. 40hz.

Also, make sure you have your receiver setup properly with subwoofer set to yes or on.

What is your source receiver? does it have a setup menu? did you check that out completely. If yes, and it still sounds crackly or not smooth and low you probably have something wrong with the driver. I would call/e-mail Adire at their tech support and they can probably troubleshoot over the phone for confirmation whether their driver is the problem or not.

Good luck. The 214L Tempest Adire Alignment is scary in output. I just finished mine and laugh every time I fire it up!! It is silly loud, tight and low.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,742 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 09:24 AM

Unsolder one of the connections, and test each voice coil individually to rule out hooking up the voice coils out of phase (which gets you very little output from a single power source).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 09:40 AM

It's also possible that the amp is bad. Try powering a regular speaker with the amp (turned down). You should get some sound out of it.

Pete

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   ChristopherD

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 11:32 AM

Thank you for the responses. I'll try all options and hopefully get this thing dialed in.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   ChristopherD

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 01:43 PM

Wiring is as stated.
Receiver settings checked and are correct.
Amp tests out O.K.
VC's unsoldered and checked independantly: same crunchy distortion from both VC's.

...and a sadness spread across the land...

Looks like my fears have materialized and a call to Adire is in order. Thank you again for all of your help.Posted Image

Chris

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Allen Ross

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 04:09 PM

bummber i got my tempest last week, haven't built the box yet, but i hooked it up for a free air demo to see if it works and all is good over in my land,

you should be fine, just pray to god that they will pick up the shipping back. ungh i don't even want to know what it would be.
Member and Founder of the "Its Never to Big or too Loud to have in a Dorm Club"
Everyone in college should have a 9 cuft Tempest in their closest!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 03:19 PM

If you have or can borrow another amp then try it. This will tell you if your problem is in the amp or the driver.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   ChristopherD

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 05:17 PM

Thanks, Ryan, but I've pretty much isolated the driver itself. Unfortunately, Adire chose this of all weeks to take a vacation. I should know something by Monday though. Arrgh! Oh well.Posted Image