What's new

Any hints that NORTHERN EXPOSURE will be making its way to DVD in 2003? (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I'm getting really sick of watching my VHS tapes of NX, recorded off TV. Is there any hope of this coming on DVD? There was a time where I was going to get a region free DVD player and get the HMV R2 Season 1 DVD box set. But it seems they have given up on the show since for two years, season one is all that's available.

Is it available in any other region?

Thanks!

Jeff

Dan B

Screenwriter
Jeff, I think it's an evil conspiracy to keep the NX fans miserable. It's the only show I want on DVD. (already got the other one I wanted...Monty Python's Flying Circus)

-Dan

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With all the TV series on deck for the new year, I'm hoping I missed an announcement about NE coming from Universal in the near future. This is one series I would buy pretty much in its entirety.

Since the first and second seasons are so short, a first set that had both seasnos would be great. I'm sure music clearances would be an issue, but this series deserves to be released intact.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Dredging up the old topic. I don't know of any news, but put it out once again for discussion...

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I hope so. I did pick up the R2 UK Season 1 set of NE recently. Its an exclusive to hmv.co.uk. No sign of season 2 there though.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I believe music issues are the stated reason for the non-apperance of NE in America. It could mean that they have no plans at all or it could simply mean that they are in negotiations.
As for season 2 in the UK - I wouldn't expect this to appear until sometime after Season 1 gets a general retailer release. I'm not sure why this hasn't happened yet. If sales are disappointing, it can only be expected as HMV tend to sell it for the full £24.99 retail price (even on their website - no discount) Not sure if this link will work
It seems strange to me that Universal would be happy for HMV to continue to be the sole retailer for this release, and I'm sure more copies would 'move' should they be subject to the usual e-tailer discounts.
It's worth noting the disc is marked R2 and R4, indicating that they did seem to have a general retail plan when the discs were originally mastered. Perhaps a cheaper copy will be obtainable from Australia in the near future?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
They better have plans and get the rights issues sorted out!

It seems Universal's TV rollout is somewhat stalled, since the remainder of the titles that had been announced for the second wave (Battlestar Galactica etc) seem to be without firm release dates yet.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i knew there was something bothering me about the region 2 set. i remember Joel Fleischman sounding very squeaky, and of course, if this series was shot on film (which it looks as if it was), then it's suffering from PAL speedup. yuk! i could be wrong, but he does sound strange ...

count me in for region 1 (normal speed) sets of this series. and some extras wouldn't go a miss. but sooner rather than later. i'm getting old here ...

James Reader

Screenwriter
But Andy if you live in the UK, you always would have heard Joel Fleischman with 'PAL Speedup'.

Is this really an issue, or is it in your head?

Andy_MT

Second Unit
good point James. you know, i didn't even think of that. what an idiot.

so yeah, might just be in my head, but he still sounds a bit off in some episodes ...

in that case, even more reason for the region 1 to come out. loved this show from the beginning, and hearing it at the correct speed after all these years is gonna be very strange, but very good nonetheless.

oh, and PAL speedup ... i hate it, but that's another thread ...

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I taped every episode many years ago so I could always watch it whenever I wanted. Great series, but I haven't watched any of them for along time.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
What studio currently has the rights to NE?

Edit: By reading more closely I see that Universal has the rights.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
in todays news @ the digitalbits they mention that northern exposure is being prepped for dvd release. so good news there i just hope it is season sets.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
That is good news indeed. Season sets, preferably lauched with both season 1 and 2 since they were short.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm glad to finally hear some more substantial reports of a release. Hope it's this year or early next.

I would buy all season sets. My favorite series. Like Karl, I've got all episodes on tape, but have not watched them in some time...plus, my taped episodes are from edited syndication broadcasts. It will be wonderful to finally see the entire series intact.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---
Northern Exposure had a magical quality to it. You could tell from the start that it was one of those cases where the planets were all in line---great cast of wonderful character actors, good leadership from series creators Falsey/Brand and imaginative, witty, funny and intelligent writing. Once the Joel character left, some of the magic left with him, but those who remained managed to carry the torch well. And who can forget the great guest spots---Adam Ant, Anthony Edwards, Adam Arkin, etc. And, though I was already a fan of movies at the time, I credit the Ed Chigliak character with opening my eyes to the larger world of cinema. His comments about films I hadn't seen always had me digging through the dust-covered oldies at the video store. I always smile when I think of the "Call of the Wild," piano fling, and men's streak parade through town episodes. [I hope the music rights are secured, by the way, because the presence of songs like Lindsey Buckingham's "D.W. Suite" during the streak scene are absolutely important to the series.]
I truly hope that Universal will put its full support behind a NE release and give the series the respect it deserves. I'd love to see a new documentary with previous and recent interviews with the cast and crew, sort of a "what they thought about NE then" and "what they think of it now." Commentary would be a bonus as well, as would a short tribute to the late Peg "Ruth-Anne" Phillips.
I was looking at the NE entry at IMDB.com and I came across the following quote by Chris in the Morning: "We all carry around so much pain in our hearts. Love and pain and beauty. They all seem to go together like one little tidy confusing package. It's a messy business, life. It's hard to figure--full of surprises. Some good. Some bad."
I think this really says it all about NE, and this is exactly why the series deserves a proper DVD release. Did I mention you can put me down as buying this one...?
mattl

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It's time to renew this thread, since we need to find out if anything new has been learned about the release of this very fine series. I just discovered that it is airing once again here, so will be checking it out, but this is one TV show I need in a great transfer on DVD... so when can I expect it?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Jeff, do you know which network is airing this series again?

Sorry I don't have any additional info on the dvd release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks