What's new

Paul Anderson delivers 2 Disc Resident Evil with added supplements promise (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Here are the specs for the German Resident Evil 2-DVD set:

Dolby Digital 5.1: German
Dolby Digital 6.1: Englisch
DTS ES Discrete 6.1: German, Englisch
Disc 1: Audiocommentaries P. Anderson, M. Jovovich, B. Eichinger
Disc 2: Making of; Deleted Scenes; Alternative Ending; Behind the Scenes; Trailer & TV-Spots; Biographies & Filmographies; Hidden Feature

As you can see the commentary is different (it includes Producer Bernd Eichinger). Also the specs mention Commentaries. I also think the presence on the Alternative Ending and Deleted Screnes are new and long promised by Paul Anderson.

I only hope the UK retail release (we currently have a no supplements rental release) will be the same in March.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
James
Is this a Fox/Pathe release ? as Amazon.de does't list the dist.
R4 BV are releasing in April 03 a single disc the same as the R1 Sp Ed but with DTS added but the above double disc set is exactly what I've been waiting for...........:D

James Reader

Screenwriter
Yes. The specs I quoted are for the German release, which you will have trouble importing due to the film's rating.

I am hoping that the UK disc(s ?) will be the same - Pathe are usually pretty good at sourcing extra supplements over the R1 release.

Thomas Rassinger

Auditioning
What I meant is, since BMG Video only has distribution rights for Germany I wouldn't expect that the additional extras will appear on another version. See the German 5th Element 2-Disc-Set.

And what's with the German rating? Like the existing rental release the DVD will be rated FSK16 (uncut). And since the FSK doesn't rate supplemental material there shouldn't be a problem.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
James
I hope you are right but wasn't Crying Freeman a Pathe DVD?
I have emailed Fox/Pathe about DTS/extra's - will post it, if I ever get a reply.........:rolleyes

James Reader

Screenwriter
The UK version of Resident Evil is not being distributed by Buena Vista but Pathe. Perhaps some other European countries are part of Buena Vista's rights domain, but not the UK.

The same disc as the Australian release will not be released in the UK (as I presume it will have the Buena Vista ident at the start).

James Reader

Screenwriter
Latest news is the Pathe UK sell-through release of Resident Evil will be sometime in the first two weeks of April.

Look for an announcement in the first week of February or so. Fingers crossed for the same extras as the German version (after all it was a British/German co-financed film!)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well the first details are begining to emerge:
Here
We understand that "Resident Evil" will get released April 14th by Pathe, priced at £17.99. Special features are rumoured to be:
Commentary by cast and filmmakers
Technical commentary
Trailers
Making of (1/2 hour approx) Slipknot music video
11 features
Well it appears the UK version will have an extra commentary track - but the 11 features don't really tell us much. My my reckoning it's 6 more than the US release so could include deleted scenes, alternative endings etc. However I would expect the press release to mention these as seperate features. Also for £17.99 I doubt this will be a two disc release...
Awaiting further details.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Here's whats been passed by the BBFC
00:11:06:11 | DVD VALUE ADDED MATERIAL - RESIDENT EVIL - SCORING RESIDENT EVIL
00:02:54:06 | CAMERA TEST
00:03:23:14 | COSTUMES
00:04:04:13 | SET DESIGN
00:27:18:04 | DVD FEATURETTES - THE MAKING OF
00:03:03:13 | SLIPKNOT - MY PLAUGE (NEW ABUSE MIX) - RESIDENT EVIL SOUNDTRACK
00:05:02:11 | DVD FEATURETTES - LASER
00:05:17:04 | DVD FEATURE TTES - THE CREATURE
00:04:28:08 | DVD FEATURETTES - ZOMBIES
00:01:06:03 | DVD FEATURETTES - LIFT
00:02:16:21 | DVD FEATURETTES - TRAIN
00:03:50:22 | DVD FEATURETTES - ZOMBIE-DOGS
sadly, not the same content as the German disc. I've just ordered the German 2 disc set :)

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
James
Can you please post a mini (or full) review of the German 2 disc when you get it (& who from?) as I'm sure a lot of people would be interested as opposed to waiting for the alleged R1 2 disc......
Which if it appears at all won't be until after June03 ie after Black Hawk Down 2 disc & how long have people been waiting for that in the States (lucky old us in England have had it since the middle of Sept last year!) :D

James Reader

Screenwriter
Updated specs for the German 2 disc set (as posted by fortinbras on the International DVD forum on DVDTalk)

----------

• Dolby Digital 5.1: German; Dolby Digital 6.1: English
• DTS ES Discrete 6.1: German, English

• Disc 1:
Audio Commentary 1: P. Anderson, M. Jovovich, M. Rodriguez...;
Audio Commentary 2: Producer - Bernd Eichinger
---'Extended Evil Mode' with behind the scenes material and information on the film - interactive (like Infinifilm on New Line Discs)---

• Disc 2:
---several Making ofs---;
Deleted Scenes;
Alternate Ending;
Behind The Scenes Featurettes
Trailer & TV-Spots (Germany / USA)
Filmographies / Biographies
Hidden Features

Limited Packaging: Digipack

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
what abbout the german subs on the disc? are they imposed??
I have the Dutch/Belgian set with fullbitrate english DTS and the same extras as R1 (from what I can gather about R1) but on 2 discs. (subs not imposed!!)
Then again missing a few extras is not too bad as I only paid 20€
HTH

James Reader

Screenwriter
Forced subs are a posibility - Amazon.de only lists German subtitles - generally if the subtitles are only in the native language, subtitles are forced on English playback.

However, my player can bypass forced subtitles on about 60%-70% of discs which use this feature. (Start playing the movie, stop it go to player's setup screen and turn subtitles off on the player's own language selection screen, then resume the movie. Sometimes, for some reason the disc will not allow the film to be resumed, which is when this method doesn't work).

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Are there any announcements for any other country's releases, like UK or Australia?

James Reader

Screenwriter
Australia doesn't have a sell-through release, but the rental release details have been posted earlier in this thread (basically its the same as the US + DTS)
The UK is getting a single disc release - the exact contents are vague at the moment - bbfc submissions are listed in this thread, plus this link
http://www.residentevilthemovie.co.uk/
the exact nature of all of the 11 featurettes is not known (there's only 10 on the bbfc submissions if you ignore the making of and music video).

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
:angry: Pathe's (Pathe-tic's)R2 UK release confirmed as being exactly the same as the first USA R1 release not even including DTS as per R4. :angry:
DVD Times :thumbsdown:
Seems to me to be the same Pathe-tic that missed DTS from Sleepy Hollow, as well as lots of stuff plus pan&scan of Crying Freeman.......

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well the BBFC have certainly certified more than is reported from the DVD Times press release! The Pathe site too (although not listing the specific details) confirms 11 featurettes(not including the Making of and Music Video). I think this is a lazy case of PR.
Edit: I stand corrected - the official Pathe site has changed the specs! :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks