Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Our Top 10's of 2002 -- Time To Throw Down / The HTF 2002 Film Awards (See Post #1)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#41 of 174 OFFLINE   Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted December 28 2002 - 10:55 AM

2002 list

Top Ten

1. Signs
Shyamalan's vision continues to develop and deepen. Perhaps the best film of the "What If?" Shyamalayn films so far. With partially Hitchcockian aesthetics and Shyamalyn's concern with the supernatural, Signs is both an intense thriller and a spiritual journey. The film works on multiple layers; scenes are often constructed to recall religious moments, mirroring the conflict of Gibson's character. And like his two previous films, Shyamalan is uncanny is his ability intercutting the past and present, creating backstory with merely a few shots. Gibson, one of our best superstars, is flawless, as is the Herrmannesque score by James Newton Howard. Above all is the film's immense control of mood and tempo, making us laugh at every joke, scared at each corner, devastated at potential loss, and thrilled when the signs come together.

2. Talk to Her
With one false move, Talk To Her could easily become a sickening or unintentionally funny film. That its tone is so assured--even during a short black and white fantasy film--is a miracle. The common theme of loving an image in recent years among movies is explored in this film better than all others. Relationships between our four main characters, whether one sided or fully engaged, are constantly developing from start to end. The film may seem to move unswiftly, but underneath its smooth pacing is a thorough transformation of these characters, emotional and physical. Walking out of the theater, I let out a sigh, for both that this movie has ended, and for the characters. They expand in my imagination like old friends, wondering what will become of them after our encounters.

3. Punch Drunk Love
Another high wire act in its tone. Whichever critic wrote that Punch Drunk Love was on the edge of comedy, tragedy and sanity cannot be more spot on. Adam Sandler uses his screen persona of his comedies to build on his character; it's as if his previous personalities have boiled to a point of no return, and fully explodes in this movie. A career capping performance so far for Sandler. This P.T. Anderson film also utilizes his strengths without becoming self-indulgent, as I thought Magnolia became. Brilliant sound design matched with eccentric but breathtaking shot selections. At the center is a love story so charming and necessary to the Sandler character that it saves him from the insanity of his world; Emily Watson as the love interest is glorious.

4. Gangs of New York
As with other Scorsese films, the juggling of different aspects of a world, and presenting them to us as we never looked at an entire culture is dazzling. While the mythic forces that Amsterdam and Bill represent is uncommon in his canon, the way Scorsese presents 19th century New York shows that this is still a filmmaker on top of his game. Gangs, ethnic groups, histories, religions, politics, army, georgraphy, underworld culture, all combined into one environment within the first hour of the movie. The total impact is far greater than the sum of the parts. Information is thrown at the audience with unimaginable speed; astounding shots look around the detailed sets from one part of story to another, emphasizing on the interconnectedness of all that is shown.

After the buildup of the revenge plotline comes to its high point, Scorsese pulls out and looks at the picture from a further distance, giving perspective to the central conflict. Effective homages are made to On the Waterfront and Potemkin. The aftertaste of the riots and confrontation between DiCaprio and the brilliant Lewis is not easily swallowed. Meaningless to the characters is not a message big Hollywood pictures often give. Yet on the countering side Scorsese shows that what may be futile to the characters is ultimately shaping the future, and the final product is a sprawling epic. If there is regrettable flaw, it is the absence of a great score. While the use of Irish folk music is effective, the Howard Shore piece "Brooklyn Nights" is overused.

5. Bloody Sunday
Do I go too far in suggesting that Bloody Sunday is even better than The Battle of Algiers? Because the film is only concerned with one event, the psuedo documentary style of the film builds and builds until the end without Algiers' episodic nature. And unlike Algiers, Bloody Sunday is ultimately more bitter and devastating, creating a truly visceral experience. Of course, the two films are not entirely comparable, but I believe that is how high Bloody Sunday should be regarded. This is a movie that shows the consequences of political decisions, the use of force, and leadership of a movement. That the movie presents mostly a one sided view should not be blamed--it shows the power that cinema can have.

6. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Frodo's story is seriously short changed; his path to Gondor and relationship with Faramir is a fundamental rift with the books. Damaging, too, I would argue. But perhaps Roger Ebert's sentiments regarding the series should be taken, which is that this installment is essentially concerned with the story of Rohan. At that, this is a great ride, echoing the best of swashbuckling films while utilizing today's technology fittingly. The battle at Helm's Deep is masterful in giving the sense of space and strategy, hope and despair. Aragorn emerges as a strong leader, and his friendship with the other members of the Fellowship ring true. The Ents are quite beautifully created, and their force does not look foolish, which is a great feat in itself. The White Rider's charge may be the most thrilling moment in all movies of 2002. A long shot of the landscape with two massive forces colliding with one another, couple by a female vocal and the triumph White Rider theme on the soundtrack, it is the moment that Peter Jackson's movie flies.

7. Spirited Away
Miyazaki's movie is the definition of colorful. Colorful in its drawings, colorful in its characters and worlds. A large, colorful, imaginitive and rich canvas. The genuis of Spirited Away, as well as Miyazaki's previous Princess Mononoke, is that the central plot of the film is hidden from direct view. What our hero needs is to have her parents reshaped into humans, but how that is to be done is never said. This is vastly different from American animation, where the central question always has a direct answer. Without a direct solution, Miyazaki's movie can dive into any area that it wishes to, and, eventually, come up with a resolution when it seems like the characters (and ourselves) have drank in the environment and wonders. The character succeeds not because she has found a direct key, but because she has been proven to be strong and admirable. Along with this type of a journey is an episodic narrative, which repeats itself a couple of times. That is a small price to pay for seeing Miyazaki's world.

8. The 25th Hour
So far the mixed reviews of The 25th Hour have tried to suggest that there are two stories butting heads with each other, one the post-9/11 New York, and the other with the Norton character's last free day. What these views obviously do not feel is that the movie combines different feelings into one experience. I would argue that it does, and part of the reason I think critics have misjudged this material is because they expect 9/11 to be the central issue if confronted; if not, don't touch it, they would say. But that is not how art deals with these large events. Look to many foreign films, and we'll see that they deal with historically traumatic events not head on, but as a backdrop, as a given. How people live after these events in the world while their concerns are on other topics is much of dealing with the event itself.

The 9/11 attention it pays is not trying to suggest one's freedom taken away, but a post-Apocalyptic feeling when the past seemed like the good ol' days. There are parrallels drawn between Norton and his friends, be it dating underage girls or living a lifestyle that is (unseemingly to some) ultimately cutthroat and cruel. Dialogue between characters are truthful without being fancy movie-talk. But there is flash, too. Norton's monologue on New York is powerful, and later Lee supplies a few images that utterly sublime. The title sequence itself will grab a lot of attention; it is curious at first, and gradually it becomes clear, with the brooding and powerful score soaring into the air. Because Lee does not give us a standard countdown, the title itself offers much to think about. The entire film is open to thought, "what would you do?" the film constantly asks.

9. The Hours
The Hours focues on three separate women in different times all sharing similar experiences that they must suffer and live through. Though it is a literary adaptation, the movie is tremendously cinematic. Intercutting between the years is almost exclusively done through matching cuts, whether through composition, movement, or action; the stories are fluidly merging into each other, not blocks of one woman and then another. Along with its storyline parrallels, Phillip Glass' score is a tissue binding the three together. Everything in this film suggests that these women are connected, not separated. Daldry's use of the meduim throughout most of the movie is, somewhat surprisingly, held to a conventional form late in the third act. The ideas in this scene is so powerful that Daldry's conservative form does not fail the movie (nor does it elevate it, unfortunately). To my surprise, I did not find Virginia's nose to be a distraction after the movie started due to an intense performance by Nicole Kidman. But among the three women, the most interesting and strongest performance is given by Meryl Streep The Great. Streep fully demonstrates the entire range that Virginia Wolf wants to illustrate in Mrs. Dalloway--to tell one's life in a day.

10. Minority Report
Put aside everything, this is just a great film to look at. Not just special effects, but also some of Spielberg's virtuoso direction. The content is also bursting with ideas within a whodunit plot. That Spielberg can combine ideas with strong narrative always seems to be taken the wrong way by many. Those who claim that his films are not thought provoking are ignoring the issues that the films bring up while also being superbly entertaining. Symbols and metaphors are also never lacking in a Spielberg film, including Minority Report. Like other whodunits, the movie is not first rate in suspense, but it is in its twists and turns. The ever puzzling and missing pieces of the story are the joy, there is little stopping for large exposition scenes. Part of the whodunit fun is perhaps taken away by the casting choices, but then again, the journey is the fun within this genre. The "twist" of this whodunit is that the investigator is supposedly the killer himself, unlike the private eyes or cops that Bogart used to play. This gives a central weight to the film because the finding of the truth is crucial to our hero's fate.

(bumped, previously no. 10) Star Wars: Episode Two - Attack of the Clones
Like The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones has a ton of intriguing ideas and situations. Its execution is much improved over Episode One, but flaws are still apparent, especially regarding the love story. I will admit that the movie itself is problematic, but its success lies in its ability to open up the Star Wars saga further more. Lines and scenarios recall the original trilogy; Lucas' story gives us such a strong cross reference between Father and Son that we care about their differing choices. Of course, this is not to say action and adventure is not important in the series. Clones features a massive battle at the end that is the height of video game action so far in the movie medium. But for a long time fan of the series, Episode Two has made me interested in the story and characters much more than TPM. What will they do? The prequels are bound by an inevitability because of the later episodes, so the fact that Lucas can still stir so much imagination within myself despite its flaws is a triumph. Like some of the other films above, I genuinally care what choices charactes will make.

--------------------------------------------------------
other favorites, in no particular order:

Blade II
Under the category of most gratuitous fun. My guess is that leaving this film outside of the top ten will later become a mistake. With an elementry hero's story, Blade II has none of the pretentiousness that the original film has. The action is fun and varied all the way through, with Del Torro's awesome sets, colors, and designs.

We Were Soldiers
In the post-Saving Private Ryan war genre, We Were Soldiers is the best so far. Comparing it to Black Hawk Down, it is similarly a powerful, visceral experience of the horrors in combat, but it has characters that we can care about. And unlike the Africans that are killed without us ever giving a damn, Wallace gives us a Vietnamese character to hold onto. That this film is focused on the Vietnam War is not evidence that it is celebrating U.S. involvement in Indo-China. If anything, it shows the massive consequences of one single encounter.

Spiderman
Slightly indecisive about how much focus will be on the origin story. Cross-cutting the birth of Spiderman and the Goblin is a major mistake. But the movie is a lot of fun in giving us a hero to root for, and then to see him in action. Some near camp situations are hilarious, and the love scenes are genuine and charming.

Catch Me If You Can
DiCaprio shines in a roles he's born to play. A clear evidence that he could have easily taken on easy roles after the Titanic boom. Hanks is refreshingly funny, and the two character's first encounter is a great scene. Spielberg too makes a stamp, continuing his life long thematic material while giving us his most joyful ride since Jurassic Park.

Kissing Jessica Stein
My Big Fat Greek Wedding is the indie romantic comedy story of the year, but for myself, "Jessica" is far superior. Its comedy does not come from ethnic stereotypes or sitcom-like scenarios, but from real concerns and relationship problems.

Bowling For Columbine
Roger Moore is a provocateur above anything else, and he succeeds in exploring the issues--which is not pro or anti gun--while also providing an entertaining ride. Discussion on the film is almost all ideas driven, but two montage sequences show Moore's use of the film medium to condense information, comment upon it, and provoke an immediate and strong response.

All or Nothing
All or Nothing is uncanny in capturing real life. The characters' Wants and Needs are clear despite the film's apparent 'slice of life' approach. The climatic confrontation of the film is hair-raisingly beautiful, with two perfect performances by Timothy Spall and Lesley Manville exploding into each other and Mike Leigh's simple but elegant direction highlighting the essence.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Favorite scores:
1. Signs - James Newton Howard
2. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore
3. Spirited Away - Jo Hisaishi
4. The 25th Hour - Terrence Blanchard
5. Attack of the Clones - John Williams
6. Far From Heaven - Elmer Bernstein
7. Punch Drunk Love - Jon Brion
8. Road to Perdition - Thomas Newman
9. The Time Machine - Klaus Badelt
10. Spider-man - Danny Elfman

#42 of 174 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted December 28 2002 - 12:08 PM

I'm parking my butt here on page 2.

I say an Admin oughta edit NickNC's post. He's got a fullscreen movie (Insomnia) on his list. Posted Image

Posted Image

1. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2. Road to Perdition
3. Chicago
4. Gangs of New York
5. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
6. Catch Me If You Can
7. Spider-Man
8. Black Hawk Down
9. We Were Soldiers
10. The Ring

Honorable Mentions
Austin Powers: Goldmember, Jackass: The Movie, Lilo & Stich, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Red Dragon, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Signs, Minority Report

Disappointments
Die Another Day

Just plain terrible
Scooby Doo

#43 of 174 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted December 28 2002 - 01:40 PM

My list... 1. LOTR: The Two Towers 2. Minority Report 3. Signs 4. Road to Perdition 5. Ice Age 6. Spiderman 7. Panic Room 8. The Ring 9. Reign of Fire 10. Star Wars: AOTC

#44 of 174 OFFLINE   Lowell_B

Lowell_B

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted December 28 2002 - 01:51 PM

My 2002 List

Like everyone here, I'm going to be shuffling my list around for awhile. Eventually I'll probably add pictures and mini-reviews.

Did some major rearranging, with Punch-Drunk Love taking over the top spot, and 25th Hour leap frogging up two spots. I moved Potter down 3 spots, and Igby Goes Down up 2. I also saw Moonlight Mile, a fantastic movie that's just a hair short of bumping Y Tu Mama Tambien.

2002 Top 10 List

1. Punch-Drunk Love
2. 25th Hour
3. Minority Report
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
5. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
6. Gangs of New York
7. Igby Goes Down
8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
9. Catch Me If You Can
10. Y Tu Mama Tambien

Honorable Mentions.

#11. Moonlight Mile
#12. Adaptation

Chicago
The Pianist
About a Boy
Road to Perdition
Signs
Metropolis
Monsoon Wedding
Talk to Her (Hable con Ella)

2002 Bottom 5 List. (1 being the worst)

1. The Time Machine
2. Resident Evil
3. Collateral Damage
4. xXx
5. Mr. Deeds

Lowell

#45 of 174 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted December 28 2002 - 04:40 PM

Best (updated 2/18/03): 1. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 2. About Schmidt 3. The Pianist 4. The Good Girl 5. Roger Dodger 6. Adaptation. 7. Punch-Drunk Love 8. Spirited Away 9. Femme Fatale 10. Narc The Rest: 11. Gangs of New York 12. Secretary 13. One-Hour Photo 14. Spider 15. Barbershop 16. The Rules of Attraction 17. Minority Report 18. Chicago 19. Dagon 20. Spider-Man 21 Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones 22. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 23. The 25th Hour 24. Orange County 25. Brotherhood of the Wolf 26. Blade II 27. Die Another Day 28. Jason X 29. Insomnia 30. The Sum of All Fears 31. Enigma 32. Max 33. Signs 34. Resident Evil 35. Frailty 36. Red Dragon 37. Autofocus 38. Biggie & Tupac 39. Home Movie 40. Panic Room 41. Metropolis 42. Mothman Prophecies 43. Halloween: Resurrection 44. Men In Black II 45. Van Wilder 46. 24-Hour Party People 47. Russian Ark Worst 5: 5. Catch Me If You Can - Was this the script that Donald Kaufman was working on in Adaptation.? 1-dimensional characters, trite (even for Spielberg) family-centered sentimentality, and a bunch of silly cops-and-robbers near-misses. If only the film could've lived up to the moderate coolness of the title sequence. 4. Human Nature - People pretending to be savage. Ha ha. Funny. 3. Scarlet Diva - Someone please stop Asia from ever getting on that side of the camera again. 2. Bowling For Columbine - A complete jumble of tacky behavior and half-baked ideas. It might've been bearable if Moore had any clue as to how to create a cohesive presentation. Instead, it was embarrassing to watch. 1. The Ring - Gee, what random things can we throw in to make this movie scary? Sixth Sense kid? Check. Woman in a 19th Century dress for no reason? Check. Me wanting the movie to cause my death? Check. DJ

#46 of 174 OFFLINE   Paul Case

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 11:44 AM

1. Gangs of New York 2. Minority Report 3. Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones 4. Signs 5. Road to Perdition 6. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 7. Unfaithful 8. Catch Me If You Can 9. The Ring 10. Insomnia This list may change once I see Adaptation, The Hours, About Schmidt, The Pianist, and The Quiet American.

#47 of 174 OFFLINE   Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 05:07 PM

Top 10:
    [*]Metropolis[*]Minority Report[*]Cidade de Deus (City of God)[*]Spirited Away[*]Adaptation[*]The Pianist[*]Signs[*]The Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers[*]About Schmidt[*]Bowling For Columbine[*]The Quiet American[*]Y Tu Mama Tambien[*]25th Hour[*]Blade II[*]Secretary[*]Far From Heaven[*]Storytelling[*]Frailty[*]Gangs of New York[*]Talk to Her
Honorable Mentions: (in alphabetical order)

8 Mile
Bourne Identity, The
Chicago
Catch Me if you Can
Hours, The
Insomnia
Monsoon Wedding
Road to Perdition
Solaris

#48 of 174 OFFLINE   Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted December 29 2002 - 10:19 PM

I'll throw in my top ten: 1. Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones 2. Lord of the Rings The Two Towers 3. Minority Report 4. Catch Me if You Can 5. Gangs of New York 6. Red Dragon 7. Signs 8. Die Another Day 9. One Hour Photo 10. The Ring Runners up: Insomnia Punch Drunk Love Spiderman Blade 2 Jackass Panic Room We Were Soldiers Blood Work Changing Lanes Road to Perdition K-19 Goldmember Solaris Count of Monte Cristo The Rookie

#49 of 174 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 01:30 AM

Top 10 of 2002 (as in the temp year end sig):

1. Resident Evil
2. Femme Fatale
3. Equilibrium
4. Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever
5. '24'
6. The Bourne Identity
7. Impostor
8. The Mothman Prophecies
9. Chicago
10. Minority Report

Posted Image
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#50 of 174 OFFLINE   Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted December 30 2002 - 05:04 AM

DVDs (24 Feb 2006): Discs - 2579, Titles - 1688 (Avg. 17 Titles/Month) • Films I've Seen: 20052004200320022001

#51 of 174 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,799 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 30 2002 - 12:56 PM

Eligible films to date: 50. Lists subject to revision as some of the year's classier flicks trickle into the backwoods of Vermont sometime in the next six months. Posted Image

My Top 10 of 2002
1.The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2.We Were Soldiers
3.The Bourne Identity
4.Signs
5.Frailty
6.Barbershop
7.Below
8.Igby Goes Down
9.About Schmidt
10.Far From Heaven

Honorable Mentions
11.Adaptation.
12.Reign of Fire
13.Blade II
14.Undercover Brother
15.Minority Report

Refunds Wanted!
10. National Lampoon’s ‘Van Wilder’
9. Ghost Ship
8. xXx
7. The Sum of All Fears
6. Scooby-Doo
5. The Time Machine
4. Bad Company
3. Collateral Damage
2. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
1. Super Troopers (and punative damages, too!) Posted Image

Last EDIT 3/17/03: Updated total film count; added Below at #7.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#52 of 174 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 01:32 AM

I've adjusted my list.

My list as of today, which will probally change as I see more of the films listed below

1. Gangs Of New York
2. Road To Perdition
3. Punch Drunk Love
4. 25th Hour
5. About Shmidt
6. My Big Fat Greek Wedding
7. Panic Room
8. Spider-Man
9. LOTR The Two Towers
10.Rules Of Attraction

Havent seen Posted Image Posted Image

Narc,25th Hour,Pianist,About Schmidt,The Grey Zone,Max,Far From Heaven,The Ring

I Want My Money Back/Most OverratedPosted Image
Y Tu Mama Tambien/Signs (Tie)

#53 of 174 OFFLINE   PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 05:03 AM

All the usual disclaimers apply.... 1. Far From Heaven 2. Chicago 3. The Hours 4. Talk To Her 5. The Pianist 6. Y Tu Mama Tambien 7. Bowling for Columbine 8. The Quiet American 9. Lovely and Amazing 10. Gangs of New York HTF Awards -Best Director Todd Haynes Far From Heaven Rob Marshall Chicago Pedro Almodovar Talk to Her Roman Polanski The Pianist Peter JacksonLOTR: TTT -Best Actor Michael Caine The Quiet American Adrien Brody The Pianist Daniel Day Lewis Gangs of New York Jack Nicholson About Schmidt Campbell Scott Roger Dodger -Best Actress Julianne Moore Far From Heaven Nicole Kidman The Hours Meryl Streep The Hours Julianne Moore The Hours Renee Zellweger Chicago -Best Supporting Actor Paul Newman Road to Perdition Chris Cooper Adaptation Dennis Quaid Far From Heaven John C. Reilly, who had a great year in supporting roles in Chicago, Gangs of New York, The Hours, and The Good Girl -Best Supporting Actress Meryl Streep Adaptation Catherine Zeta-Jones Chicago Catherine Keener Lovely and Amazing Emily Mortimer Lovely and Amazing Viola Davis, who had a great year in supporting roles in Far From Heaven, Solaris, and Antwone Fisher -Best Breakthrough Performance (3) Adrien Brody The Pianist Derek Luke Antwone Fisher -Best Art Direction Far From Heaven Road to Perdition Gangs of New York Minority Report -Best Costume Design Chicago Gangs of New York Far From Heaven Road to Perdition LOTR: TTT -Best Cinematography Conrad Hall Road to Perdition Edward Lachman Far From Heaven Michael Ballhaus Gangs of New York Rodrigo Prieto Frida Pawel Edelman The Pianist -Best Editing Chicago The Hours Adaptation -Best Music Score The Hours Far From Heaven Frida Rabbit Proof Fence -Best Screenplay, Original Adaptation Talk to Her Far From Heaven Lovely and Amazing -Best Screenplay, Adapted Chicago The Hours About Schmidt -Best Song (Academy eligibility rules applied) I Move On Chicago The Hands That Built America Gangs of New York -Best Sound Road to Perdition LOTR: TTT Minority Report -Best Sound Effects Editing LOTR: TTT -Best Visual Effects LOTR: TTT

#54 of 174 OFFLINE   Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 06:41 AM

Top 10 (final version 1.2) 1. Punch-Drunk Love 2. Far From Heaven 3. Adaptation 4. About Schmidt 5. Insomnia 6. Minority Report 7. 13 Conversations About One Thing 8. About a Boy 9. Talk To Her 10. Chicago Honorable Mentions -Bowling For Columbine -The Grey Zone -I Am Trying To Break Your Heart -Italian For Beginners -Monsoon Wedding -The Pianist -Possession -The Quiet American -Spirited Away -Y Tu Mama Tambien Worst of the Year 1. National Lampoon's Van Wilder 2. Jackass: The Movie 3. feardotcom 4. The Adventures of Pluto Nash 5. Rollerball 6. Jason X 7. Kung Pow! Enter the Fist 8. Pinocchio 9. Swimfan 10. Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#55 of 174 OFFLINE   Andrew Schwarz

Andrew Schwarz

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 01:55 PM

TOP 10 OF 2002 1. Y Tu Mama Tambien 2. Gangs of New York 3. Insomnia 4. Adaptation 5. The Rules of Attraction 6. Narc 7. Frailty 8. Punch Drunk Love 9. One Hour Photo 10.The Road to Perdition ------------------------------------------------------------ WORST 5 OF 2002 1. Feardotcom 2. Men in Black 2 3. Halloween Resurrection 4. Star Wars Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones 5. Scooby Doo ------------------------------------------------------------ INDIVIDUAL AWARDS FUNNIEST MOVIE: Super Troopers / Adaptation SCARIEST MOVIE: Frailty BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: XXX / Austin Powers in Goldmember BEST MOVIES THAT NO ONE SAW (THANKS TO DIMENSION FILMS): Below / Equlibrium BEST TWIST:
Frailty
WORST TWIST:
Austin Powers in Goldmember

#56 of 174 OFFLINE   JonBoriss

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 05:56 PM

While I have yet to see About Schmidt, Chicago, Narc, Adaptation, 25th Hour, The Hours, Antwone Fisher, and a handful other movies (I don't live near big cities so I have to wait for them to expand) here are my 10 favorites of the year. (Ill update as I see fit) Best Movies I Saw This Year 1)Punch Drunk Love 2)Catch Me If You Can 3)One Hour Photo 4)About a Boy 5)Road to Perdition 6)Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 7)Igby Goes Down 8)Minority Report 9)Insomnia 10)Frailty Honorable Mention (movies that I couldnt fit onto the top 10) 11)Bowling for Columbine 12)Far From Heaven 13)Gangs of New York 14)Panic Room 15)Red Dragon Worst Movies I Saw This Year -Star Wars: Episode II-Attack of the Clones -XXX -Scooby Doo -E.T. 20th Anniversary Edition (The movie was perfect!! Leave it alone!!) -Men in Black II -Kung Pow: Enter the Fist -Jason X

#57 of 174 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted December 31 2002 - 07:30 PM

Haven't seen ABOUT SCHMIDT, THE PIANIST, CHICAGO, NARC TOP 10: 1. Adaptation 2. Gangs Of New York 3. Signs 4. Star Wars Episode 2:Attack Of The Clones 5. Y Tu Mama Tambien 6. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 7. Minority Report 8. 8 Mile 9. Lord Of The Rings:The Two Towers 10.Spirited Away Honorable Mention: 11.Catch Me If You Can 12.Road to Perdition

#58 of 174 OFFLINE   Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted January 01 2003 - 01:40 AM

Updated on 1/12/03 Top 10 for 2002 1. Spirited Away 2. Bowling for Columbine 3. Panic Room 4. Attack of the Clones 5. Insomnia 6. About a Boy 7. Road to Perdition 8. Frailty 9. Red Dragon 10. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

#59 of 174 OFFLINE   Pat Ford

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted January 01 2003 - 06:55 AM

To be updated, but as of now: 1. Bowling For Columbine 2. About Schmidt 3. Adaptation 4. The Hours 5. Y Tu Mama Tambien 6. Spirited Away 7. Far From Heaven 8. Punch Drunk Love 9. The Kid Stays In The Picture 10. Chicago Also really enjoyed: I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, Gangs of New York, The Two Towers, About A Boy, Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys, The Pianist, Road To Perdition, Dogtown & Z-Boys, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Minority Report The one movie I regret seeing: Signs (painful and insulting...I wish I could get those two hours of my life back)

#60 of 174 OFFLINE   Fred Bang

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted January 01 2003 - 01:02 PM

All right here's mine: 1- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2- Minority Report 3- Bowling for Columbine 4- Catch me if you can 5- Chicago 6- Star Wars Episode II 7- Spiderman 8- Gangs of New York 9- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 10- Signs Worst: 40 days 40 nights Men in Black II

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users