What's new

African Queen and Schindler's List MIA for 2003? (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I know this topic has come up before but these two 'high profile titles' don't have a credible release target for R1, as far as I've been able to find on the net.

African Queen may be in need of some restoration but as of now many lower profile titles have been targeted for '03 and we are seeing plenty of 'marginal' stuff being pushed out month after month now.

Schindler is due for a 10th anniversary in '03 but yet there is no credible source that has projected its release. In fact, The Digital Bits doesn't even put it on the 'being worked on' list, as of yet. Spielberg is being quoted about the Indy series for the coming year but has, surprisingly, not been recently quoted nor asked about SL (reputedly his most acclaimed and personal work). Anybody have better information?

Joel

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
Schindler is due for a 10th anniversary in '03 but yet there is no credible source that has projected its release. In fact, The Digital Bits doesn't even put it on the 'being worked on' list, as of yet.
From a year end 2001 post on TDB:
...We have, however, been told that collector's editions of Duel, Schindler's List and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial are all but certain for next year...
One out of three will make you famous in baseball.

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Jeez... read the title of this thread and, well... thanks for reminding me about this lapse and raining on my Christmas.:frowning:
Oh, wait... I'm Jewish. Thanks for bringing up the Holocaust.
Anyhoo... I am dying to see what will be done with Schindler. Someone mentioned in another thread an extra hour's worth of footage (which I'd never before heard about). I'm also curious what he'd include as bonus materials considering the documentary series he began producing shortly after the film came out. My mother has the Deluxe VHS package (the only way I could find to get it for her in OAR). It came in a nice big gray box with a book (and a soundtrack); short on features, but them was the ol' VHS days, eh?
Mmmm... Christmas... time comes again for the Jewish Xmas tradition: Catch a movie and eat Chinese Food :D

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Someone mentioned in another thread an extra hour's worth of footage (which I'd never before heard about). I'm also curious what he'd include as bonus materials considering the documentary series he began producing shortly after the film came out.
There may be an additional hour's worth of deleted scenes that Spielberg may chose to insert in a DVD edition but there are many times that in documentary material that he and the Shoah Foundation have collected after the film's release. I am hoping that this will be an opportunity for a multi-disk set, which includes 2 or more special features disks, considering the wealth of material. The only reason I can see for not putting it on Universal's '03 release schedule is that Spielberg wants to put a lot more effort into it than he can currently find on his upcoming calendar year's schedule. What I find curious, though, is that there is no follow through by the press in ongoing interviews with him :frowning: . Perhaps he would volunteer his intentions if only someone would ask.
Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I see from a Google search that not only is The African Queen available in R2 but that it has been remastered for this release and has a good audio commentary track included by Jack Cardiff. Why the holdup for R1 I don't understand, unless there is less demand here than in Europe :frowning: . I hope that isn't true, though by the lack of response to this thread I suspect most readers don't know much about this classic or just don't care.
Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Jeff. I assume you have the R2 release of AQ. How does it look? Is it worth waiting for the R1 release (assuming it is forthcoming :confused: ). I don't have a way to play back R2 material.
Joel

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
I got so tired of waiting for Schindler's List, I finally decided to pick up the Letterboxed LD a couple of days ago.

I am still hopeful for a release in 2003 4th Quarter though.

Ali B

Second Unit
What's more the R2 has stunning pitcure quality and it's only £6.99 in the hmv.co.uk sale!

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I have an extra copy (in mint condition) of the Japanese R2 NTSC "The African Queen" DVD if anyone's interested. I'll sell it for just $15 shipped! (PayPal or money order) E-mail me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks